Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Meditation in Kyoto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meditation in Kyoto

Are there any temples or groups offering free meditation classes in Kyoto? I know there are sometimes expensive retreats, but I'd like something regular and free (or really cheap).

Please let me know if you've found or tried anything.

I live in Sakyo-ku, so somewhere near would be ideal.

Thanks.

Originally posted by waru View Post
    Are there any temples or groups offering free meditation classes in Kyoto? I know there are sometimes expensive retreats, but I'd like something regular and free (or really cheap).

Thanks.
    Check out this place, its in Sakyo-ku. Its called the OHANA Meditation Academy. Its not free...its 50,000yen for 2 days at their academy. It looks like a scam...but I tried.

www.ohana.tk/index.htm
    Last edited by HolyCheese300; 2010-03-20, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Thanks.
      Rinzai and Soto zen temples should have a weekly zazenkai that is open to the public. It should be free, but donations are accepted (and probably expected, but I never gave more than a few hundred yen a time)

This wouldn't really be a class, so much as it would be participating in zen mediation along with other interested laypeople, lead by a monk.

If you are inexperienced, you'll probably be asked to come early for an introduction to the walking, sitting, breathing techniques.

Are you looking for a place that caters to a non-Japanese, or is Japanese ok?

If you can read Japanese, here is a list of temples providing zazenkai in the Kyoto area. You are asked to call before going.
      http://park2.wakwak.com/~zen/cgi-bin...no=73;id=zazen

Most of the temples on the list are Rinzai or nondenom. There was only one place on the list for Sakyo-ku, and there meetings were from 6-7 am.

Here is a list of Soto places. Nothing in Sakyo-ku.
      http://www.sotozen-net.or.jp/zazen/list/kyoto.htm

Hope this helps a little. Let me know if you are looking for something more for foreigners, and I'll try to see if I can find any.

Peace,
      Moobs

Comment

Thanks for the information, that helps a lot!

Comment

Thanks for the information, that helps a lot!

Ask at the International House, (by the Nanzenji Sanjo crossing).

Ummm, http://www.kcif.or.jp/en/

And there it is.

Comment

There is a Vipassana retreat centre in Kyoto that is donation based:

http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schbhanu.htm
            Last edited by sunsoul; 2010-03-22, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsoul View Post
              There is a Vipassana retreat centre in Kyoto that is donation based:

http://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schbhanu.htm

I also remember going to a place called Peace Cafe in Kyoto, somewhere near the main university, and they had a good selection of pamphlets and information on all sorts of groups, meditation nights, and various meetings around the town.

Right. Forgot about Peace Cafe........

They closed a couple of years ago.

But thanks for referring to it as the Main University.

You'd be surprised how many plebs and proles first mention Private Universities (!!) when discussing schools in Kyoto

Ummm, the OP could try the hippie curry shop on the 2nd floor of the Nortwest corner of Hyakumanben.

Alternatively, there are a few hippie food shops and cafes throughout northern Sakyo ward (mostly along the toy choo choo train line); maybe try to search for vegetable food places, go there, and ask about going Zenny.
              Last edited by kurogane; 2010-03-22, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I'm fine with Japanese only places, but I'll definitely ask around at the International House.

I'm actually moving to Kyoto on April 1st, so I can't go to these places yet. But I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks, everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post

You'd be surprised how many plebs and proles first mention Private Universities (!!) when discussing schools in Kyoto

Ummm, the OP could try the hippie curry shop on the 2nd floor of the Nortwest corner of Hyakumanben.

Alternatively, there are a few hippie food shops and cafes throughout northern Sakyo ward (mostly along the toy choo choo train line); maybe try to search for vegetable food places, go there, and ask about going Zenny.
                  Kyoto University is a public school, if that's the school you were talking about. But thanks, I do like hippie food shops and cafes.

Comment

Kyoto University is a public school, if that's the school you were talking about. .
                    Yes. I went there.

I was just goofing around about how so many people assume you must mean a private university when you mention University in Kyoto.

But thanks, I do like hippie food shops and cafes.
                    Yea, good luck with that. I like hippie food shops too. Well, actually, the people that frequent them. Hippie food makes my testicles curdle.

Anyways, try the International Centre just because it is a ready source of commonly requested information like what you are seeking (medidation in Kyoto is almost a requirement for the Lonely Planet types).

Which does raise a point: you might find initial resistance from places off the tourist trap (the Jpn only places you mention), simply because of the sheer volume of interest, and that ridiculous need for Backpackers to try and leave the beaten path even though they can't even read the map yet.

So, be patient, and persistent. It's how They do it after all.

Also, you mentioned you would be living in Sakyo Ku. That area is a little tough when it comes to food shopping, unless you like canned this and instant noodle that, but I know of a funky little organic food shop in Yoshida that you might find useful.

It didn't come up on Google, so we'll do it the old way:

It is on a side street off Yoshida Higashi Doori north of Marutamachi and south of the Family Mart on the corner of Yoshida Higashi and Konoe Doori; the shop is down on a side street 2 or 3 streets south of that Sento ij on the east side of Yoshida Higashi (south of the Yoshida Post Office).

Anyways, good luck with the move, and the new life.
                    Last edited by kurogane; 2010-03-23, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post

I remember one of the waitresses... she was a beauty.....
                      I almost went out with her until she found i had a gf....

Comment

Yoshida organic food shop, got it. Thanks again. I'd love to buy organic food, but I will be on a student budget after all. I'm sure I can work in a few trips there, though.

Comment

Yoshida organic food shop, got it. Thanks again. I'd love to buy organic food, but I will be on a student budget after all. I'm sure I can work in a few trips there, though.

Well, I can understand about the budget, but if you go with the basics (tofu, soy, condiments, etc.), it makes life so much nicer.

I mostly use organics in Japan as a way to avoid GM food. Other than that, it's just too much work.

Don Juan,

Oh, her...................

We met at one of those flakey summer drum parties up by the river park.

We didn't really go out so much as just go, but yes, she is beautiful. A very nice woman, too.

Mind you, when I met her, she had a BF.............

Maybe she doesn't mind cheating, but didn't like the idea of you cheating??

Comment

I also did an online course and I don't think there are such course available. If you are talking about demo classes then yes there are free meditation classes.

Comment

Working...
                            X