Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Best gyms (for body building)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Myth View Post
    The only thing that is sad, is your post count. Why shouldn't we be using a public forum to encourage bodybuilding? There is nothing wrong with bodybuilding. There are a lot of foreign bodybuilders that come to Japan and need some help about something or anything in general. It's skinny little keyboard warriors who have no idea what they are talking about that really ____ me off.

@ mishima1970

-Yes beef is expensive which sucks
    -No fish is not hard to cook....if you are that bad at cooking watch a youtube video about how to cook fish
    -Last time i checked, chicken is pretty much given to you for free its that cheap. Pork is another cheap meat here in Japan and plenty of other meats to.
    - Also i am not sure how much you really know about building muscle, but carbs are just as important to muscle building as protein is.
    -So stop complaining that your muscles are wasting away, when its your own fault or lack of knowledge and not Japan's lack of protein and food portions

@realgains

Is it cool if I PM you....I have some questions for you
    I am in cutting phase so have to keep carbs down to about 50 g/day which is next to impossible to do if you eat out...

As for cooking, it takes a long time...Japan food culture is opposed to bodybuilding, whatever you may say. Unless you cook for yourself you may spend $50/meal trying to get enough protein.

But I found a solution, many supermarkets have cooked food sections and you can get precooked chicken, etc., that is quite cheap.

Anyone else have any other advice on gyms? Is the Harajuku Gold's the best one, or are there other smaller ones in Shinjuku, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by mishima1970 View Post
      I am in cutting phase so have to keep carbs down to about 50 g/day which is next to impossible to do if you eat out...

As for cooking, it takes a long time...Japan food culture is opposed to bodybuilding, whatever you may say. Unless you cook for yourself you may spend $50/meal trying to get enough protein.

But I found a solution, many supermarkets have cooked food sections and you can get precooked chicken, etc., that is quite cheap.
      If you seriously try to get enough, as in 2g/kg protein a day, while on a diet, you'd be hard pressed to do it in any country. If you do not cook that is.

Let's break it down a bit. Chicken breast has about 23g of protein / 100g. If you're a 100kg dude with 20% fat, you'd look at 160g of protein a day. That means 700g of chicken breast. A Day. Change the protein source to tuna or eggs and you'll be looking at about same amounts with more calories. Skinless chicken breast being at ~700kcal for the daily protein dose.

Good thing is that in Japan you can get imported chicken breast in 800g packs for something around 800-1000y depending on the store.

Next, let's assume that your daily kcal are around 3500kcal, and your cutting with -1000kcal. That is 2500kcal a day intake. With the protein from chicken breast (for simplicity), you'll be looking at around 1500kcal a day from fats. That means that chicken breast is out of question. Unless you really, REALLY like butter. So what to do? You need to buy fatty meat. But alas, fatty meat and fish are at the high end in Japan and your looking at spending double or triple the money each day for kcal.

Here is the easy solution: Drop the idiotic low-carb diet plans. You'll just lose 4kg of water which will come back eventually. Keep the calories at around - 800kcal to -1000kcal, eat good carbs (veggies, whole wheat...) with chicken, eggs, cheap fish on training days, and eat the fatty meats on rest days with less carbs.

Learn how to cook.

I can guarantee that you will be utterly screwed if you try to follow a diet as silly as 50g of carbs a day in any country WITHOUT knowing how to turn a chicken breast around a frying pan. In ANY country.

Comment

Originally posted by Trichophyton-in-my-pants View Post
        If you seriously try to get enough, as in 2g/kg protein a day, while on a diet, you'd be hard pressed to do it in any country. If you do not cook that is.

Let's break it down a bit. Chicken breast has about 23g of protein / 100g. If you're a 100kg dude with 20% fat, you'd look at 160g of protein a day. That means 700g of chicken breast. A Day. Change the protein source to tuna or eggs and you'll be looking at about same amounts with more calories. Skinless chicken breast being at ~700kcal for the daily protein dose.

Good thing is that in Japan you can get imported chicken breast in 800g packs for something around 800-1000y depending on the store.

Next, let's assume that your daily kcal are around 3500kcal, and your cutting with -1000kcal. That is 2500kcal a day intake. With the protein from chicken breast (for simplicity), you'll be looking at around 1500kcal a day from fats. That means that chicken breast is out of question. Unless you really, REALLY like butter. So what to do? You need to buy fatty meat. But alas, fatty meat and fish are at the high end in Japan and your looking at spending double or triple the money each day for kcal.

Here is the easy solution: Drop the idiotic low-carb diet plans. You'll just lose 4kg of water which will come back eventually. Keep the calories at around - 800kcal to -1000kcal, eat good carbs (veggies, whole wheat...) with chicken, eggs, cheap fish on training days, and eat the fatty meats on rest days with less carbs.

Learn how to cook.

I can guarantee that you will be utterly screwed if you try to follow a diet as silly as 50g of carbs a day in any country WITHOUT knowing how to turn a chicken breast around a frying pan. In ANY country.
        I eat plenty of vegetables and greens, I'm not a fanatic. The fact is I just hate noodles, bread, rice, etc., puts me to sleep. I use whole milk and cream to make up the difference.

As for protein, you don't need necessarily 1g/lb ...different people need different amounts, especially in a cutting phase. The 1 g/lb rule isn't as hard and fast as people say. Anyway, I lived in a number of countries where it's much easier and cheaper to get high-quality protein in your meals when you eat out.

That said, the supermarket seems to have pretty cheap cooked food so it's fine...

What about the best gyms...does anyone know a good one near Shinjuku gyoen?

Comment

I'm on a IF recomp diet right now so lots of protein and not much carbs. Carbs are easy enough, just pick up a bag of rice from anywhere and throw it in the rice cooker.

For protein, Niku no Hanamasa 肉のハナマサ is my mecca. Look them up, they're scattered throughout the city and several even have free delivery. 2kg bag of chicken breast is 690 yen. 900g steaks, ~1000 yen. 450g of sashimi-grade salmon (e.g. requires zero preparation, I call this "pullin a grizzly bear") is like 800 yen. Niku no Hanamasa is a grocery store for restaurants, so portions tend to be a lot larger.

Obviously the portion sizes need to be adjusted to your individual needs but hands-down Niku no Hanamasa is awesome if you're in central Tokyo. Costco is inconvenient if you don't live nearby or own a massive freezer. Protein powders are a supplement, they're not meant to be a primary component of your diet (and you'll be hungry as hell if that's all you eat -- try it and see).

On a related note, Chiyoda-ku Sports Center is closing from September 2012 - March 2013 so I'm in the market for a new gym for six months.

Comment

Working...
          X