Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Anti-Depressants/Anti-Anxiety Medication

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Depressants/Anti-Anxiety Medication

I'm a year abroad student in Japan, from the UK originally. I have a 1 year student visa and pay student health insurance.

I have a history of depression and anxiety for many years and it has recently become a lot worse. I have 5 months left in Japan and I was wondering if anyone has any experience trying to get some anti-depressants from doctors here.

My japanese isn't great, but I can communicate on a basic level. I have heard they are not very good here at dealing with mental health problems, and also don't have such a wide variety of medication available.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Originally posted by short_breath View Post
    My japanese isn't great, but I can communicate on a basic level. I have heard they are not very good here at dealing with mental health problems, and also don't have such a wide variety of medication available.

Cant really help you here, depression is called utsu-byo in Japanese, there are certified and licenced English speaking doctors and psychiatrists if you do a search of Mental Health professionals. Japan also has its fair share of bipolars as well.

Comment

I'm a year abroad student in Japan, from the UK originally. I have a 1 year student visa and pay student health insurance.

I have a history of depression and anxiety for many years and it has recently become a lot worse. I have 5 months left in Japan and I was wondering if anyone has any experience trying to get some anti-depressants from doctors here.

I would not screw aroundm just order what you need of some pharmacy site off the net! I do.

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
        I would not screw aroundm just order what you need of some pharmacy site off the net! I do.
        How do you know what to order? What sites do you use?

Comment

How do you know what to order? What sites do you use?
          I wasn't aware you can get prescriptions off the Internet....

Comment

Originally posted by KansaiBen View Post
            I wasn't aware you can get prescriptions off the Internet....
            K_B you must be joking! Just off my head:
            http://www.superdrugsaver.com/generi...76/Coloft.htmk
            I have ordered Prozac and Zoloft with no prescription pff them and the packages have come within 7 days and cleared customs easy peasey with delivery by FedEX.

All the OP has to do is put the name of what he needs into Google and voila, out pops an answer! It would help him if he has a credit card to order with, but some of the pharmacies accept International Money orders (just takes konger to get the drugs delivered¡

Comment

OP, if you don`t mind traveling to Utsunomya once a month, I know a good English speaking psychiatrist over there. If interested, please PM me.

Comment

I suggest you get in touch with Tokyo English Life Line, which provides free support for mental health issues: http://www.telljp.com/

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post
                  And have a risk of getting fakes. 99% of all sites dropship fake medicines from India/China.

Better to consult a doctor and have your receipt from your doctor back home translated if you have any.

Comment

Originally posted by Genkii View Post
                    And have a risk of getting fakes. 99% of all sites dropship fake medicines from India/China.

Better to consult a doctor and have your receipt from your doctor back home translated if you have any.
                    Yes, by all means, listen to Genki regarding your meds.
                    He knows.

Comment

I have not taking any meds yet. Thinking about it though.

I heard SSRI's are good for anxiety/depression.

You have any recommendation Dr. Tommy?

Comment

I have not taking any meds yet. Thinking about it though.

I heard SSRI's are good for anxiety/depression.

You have any recommendation Dr. Tommy?
                        Chocolate flavored prozac.
                        Heaps of it.

Comment

Originally posted by YokohamaTommy View Post
                          Chocolate flavored prozac.
                          Heaps of it.
                          I suggest you take some of them, because I think we will see a divorce thread from you in the future because you couldn't take care of your family.

Comment

Lexapro/Cipralex (escitalopram) is now available in Japan.

Comment

I suggest you take some of them, because I think we will see a divorce thread from you in the future because you couldn't take care of your family.
                              Me: Two boys, a hot wife, and thanks to some kick a$$ GP'ers, some excellent ideas and some really nice potential prospects.

You: Um...Nothing?
                              Wait..weren't you going to propose to your Japanese internet GF who made you cry?

Besides, what you are _____ing about:
                              "Mr. Hash Bars and Hot Chocolate-from-the-lands-of-Neider.
                              Like your life is so tough.
                              Cry me a river
                              (Of Hash and Hot Chocolate, that we may all get high from your bitter tears.)
                              Last edited by YokohamaTommy; 2012-04-10, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X