Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

health insurance for japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• health insurance for japan

what's the best type or company to use for insurance for being based in Japan for a year? I've seen a few on the web, but would like personal recommendations. Thanks!

Originally posted by chilkoot02 View Post
    what's the best type or company to use for insurance for being based in Japan for a year? I've seen a few on the web, but would like personal recommendations. Thanks!
    Check out the NHI (National Health Insurance) - which you are required to join, by law... It is good too.

Comment

I use Arial or Times New Roman.

Comment

Thanks. So I have to join the national insurance even if I'm with the government?

Comment

That was so convoluted I think you'll need to explain. Wouldn't one normally assume that working for the very organisation that runs the compulsory national health insurance scheme suggest that one's own enrollment in said scheme would be considered highly advisable, above and beyond the already stated fact that it is not voluntary or optional regardless of for whom you work?

It's the national health insurance scheme.

Comment

Thanks. So I have to join the national insurance even if I'm with the government?
            Check with your employer. Some countries/professions such as US Military or diplomats.have exceptions, so that you don't have to join NHI.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
              Check with your employer. Some countries/professions such as US Military or diplomats.have exceptions, so that you don't have to join NHI.
              I'll have to do that. I applied for a contract job with the US naval base in Yokosuka. If I get it, I'm contractual and not an official employee of the base, but am employed by the government. It's a bit of a gray zone that I'm trying to figure out. I'm not sure if I could get coverage with the military or have to jump into the NIH. Just looking for info from people there already dealing with it so I can figure out all my options once I get a little more information from them.

Comment

US government, not the Japanese

Comment

... I applied for a contract job with the US naval base in Yokosuka. ...
                  Gee, I hope that job is not in communications - at any level. I can see it now - WW3 started because of what wasn't said... For example: The Chinese takeout delivery boy just fired a fireworks missle at the base.

Comment

You might have made it far clearer when you started this thread! Geez! Are we to assume that you'll have SOFA, not a work visa, then? If so, ask your employer what is required for health insurance. I am guessing it's kokumin kenko hoken (citizen's health insurance), not shakai hoken (corporate).

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                      Gee, I hope that job is not in communications - at any level. I can see it now - WW3 started because of what wasn't said... For example: The Chinese takeout delivery boy just fired a fireworks missle at the base.
                      It's in nursing

Comment

Sorry. I'm not clear myself since I've never done this before and can't find ANY information anywhere to even find out what I'm talking about! That's why I'm asking here. I just recently found someone to contact in Maryland about it after being weeks in the process. Most information is geared towards small businesses not individual contractors. The gentleman I talked to from the military wasn't quite clear either.

Comment

The gentleman I talked to from the military wasn't quite clear either.
                          It's a straightforward question. What did he say?

I believe you don't qualify for either of the NHIs I mentioned above. Find out what normally happens for civilian contractors. Like I just wrote, it should be a pretty normal thing to ask.

This might be a better forum.
                          http://www.japanbases.com/forums.aspx
                          Last edited by Glenski; 2013-08-01, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X