Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

PLAYSTATION 3 Region Free

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLAYSTATION 3 Region Free

Hi guys,

I have been trying to find a PS3 that are able to read both NTSC and PAL games and movies, but without luck. I have been asking around Akihabara and all I can get there is either an American version of PS3 or a Japanese version of PS3. The prob here is that the American version can't play Pal movies/games or Japanese movies and the Japanese version can't Pal movies/games or American movies, so...

My question is. Is it possible to a region free PS3 in Japan or is it possible to make a PS3 region free somehow?

This is for a christmas gift, so I really hope someone in here knows abit about this.
    Thanx a mill and merry christmas to all of you.

Einstein

Dunno man.. I use a modified original xbox to the same effect..

Comment

PS3 plays all PS3 games regardless of region.
      If you want to various regions of PS1/2 games then cant help you. Dunno if possible.
      But if you stick with PS3 games you'll be fine.
      I buy online all the English versions of the games I want.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
        PS3 plays all PS3 games regardless of region.
        If you want to various regions of PS1/2 games then cant help you. Dunno if possible.
        But if you stick with PS3 games you'll be fine.
        I buy online all the English versions of the games I want.
        Thanx guys. What about PAL version games? How about movies? Is it possible to get it to play ALL movies as well? NTSC and PAL?

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein View Post
          Thanx guys. What about PAL version games? How about movies? Is it possible to get it to play ALL movies as well? NTSC and PAL?

North American, Asia(China), and Japanese use the same region (A) and will play eachothers Blu Rays and PS3 games. They do NOT play PAL movies or games.

Comment

I got caught out with this. I bought a PS3 in Japan expecting to be able to play my Region 2 DVDs from the UK (of which I have a few hundred); after all Japan is in Region 2 as well. No dice. Japanese PS3 will not play PAL Region 2 DVD; only NTSC.

Extremely annoying; especially as the cheapest piece of crap $29 Walmart special DVD will play NTSC on PAL and vice-versa these days!

So I have to have a PS3 and a separate DVD player; gah.

Comment

I don't understand why Europe and Australia doesn't just adopt NTSC. Sure PAL is better but its not supported by many countries. From what i hear, a NTSC PS3 will not even work on a PAL TV. Any truth to this?

Comment

Originally posted by Darknuts View Post
                I don't understand why Europe and Australia doesn't just adopt NTSC. Sure PAL is better but its not supported by many countries. From what i hear, a NTSC PS3 will not even work on a PAL TV. Any truth to this?
                A quick Google search found me looking at multiple NTSC to PAL TV converters and even region free TVs, so I guess its true from the information I've found so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Darknuts View Post

Even the cheapest TV (and DVD players) from a pal region will work just fine with both NTSC and PAL, try finding a NTSC TV that will work with PAL. A moot point these days anyway, as PAL/NTSC has nothing to do with HD.

Blueray doesn't use the old DVD standard of region coding (for some reason), which is why although DVD's from Japan will play fine of a region locked player UK player, a Blueray won't, since the regions are different.

Anyway, to answer the original question. You won't find one that will play all region dvd/bluerays because Sony lock the region. At some point in time prehaps there will be a custon firmware/Mod that will let you, but I wouldn't expect one soon.
                  As far as games go, no problem, as there is no region lock for games. Since your talking about Pal one assumes your planning on taking it to a Pal country from Japan(NTSC), in which case I wouldn't worry, as I said above, even the cheapest TV from a Pal region brought in the past 10-20years will play NTSC fine, and if your using a HD TV (you should be) it's a non-issue.
                  As I see it, the only possible issue you'll have is power supply, and all the PS3s so far have auto switching 110-240 supplies anyway (thou check online regarding new models).
                  Last edited by Bozo the dancing clown; 2008-12-30, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X