Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

I.softbank.ne.jp will disappear by 18th of this month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depends on the emoji you send/receive

Originally posted by moonraker View Post
    @ havill

my bad for my interpretation.

however, what i meant by emoji not been sent is that when

you send emoji to for example a docomo subcriber, that person cannot see it.

Note: i am not making this up cos its has happen to me many times
    DoCoMo/Softbank/etc maintain cross-translation tables. If the character exists on both phones, it should get converted. On some phones, you can choose between pallettes: whether you want cross-compatible characters or characters that are just for a certain provider.

And if the character is unique to a particular provider, then MMS/SMS etc won't help you. The character will still get lost/replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by havill View Post
      DoCoMo/Softbank/etc maintain cross-translation tables. If the character exists on both phones, it should get converted. On some phones, you can choose between pallettes: whether you want cross-compatible characters or characters that are just for a certain provider.

And if the character is unique to a particular provider, then MMS/SMS etc won't help you. The character will still get lost/replaced.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the iPhone has it's own set of emoji that aren't recognized, not only by other carriers, but even by other SoftBank customers if they have a different phone.

Comment

shake spear

exactly, my point. thats wat i was trying to explain to havill

Comment

Then correct you I shall.

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
          Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the iPhone has it's own set of emoji that aren't recognized, not only by other carriers, but even by other SoftBank customers if they have a different phone.
          See Softbank's official page on the matter:

http://mb.softbank.jp/mb/iphone/mail/pictogram.html

Here's the translation (translating ŠG•¶Žš {emoji} as "pictograms" to be consistent with the URL) of the bottom half of that page:

PICTOGRAM SERVICE DETAILS

Sending and receiving pictograms via the iPhone is supported with the following services:
          • Softbank
          • Disney Mobile
          • NTT docomo
          • au
          • emobile
          • WILLCOM
          • Gmail
          Using pictograms is supported via the following services:
          • email (i)
          • SMS
          Number of pictograms supported on the iPhone: 468
          1. To use pictograms on the iPhone 3G, you must be using the latest version 2.2 software
          2. The iPhone 3G pictograms are automatically converted to equivalent forms for other Softbank pictograms, Disney pictograms, and other cell phone manufacturers pictograms depending on the recipient
          3. Depending on the contents of the mail and the recipients cell phone, some pictograms may not display correctly.
          Point 2 means that the beautiful hicolor/hires pictograms used in the iPhone will be translated, but they'll look less beautiful on the other person's non-iPhone.

Point 3 means that if the other Softbank user is using a very old phone and doesn't support all of the 468 characters that the iPhone does, then yes, some of the emoji (the newer ones) won't show up (or will be converted to a ¬ mark or a "?") on the older phone.
          Last edited by havill; 2009-06-15, 01:12 AM. Reason: added to translation

Comment

Thanks havill. Oh well, they can either see them or they can't, right? SoftBank says most folks with newer phones should see most of them, but my experience has been that a lot of my friends get the good ole = most of the time. I'm guessing with each upgrade it gets better. To be honest, I don't use them that much anyways. By the way, just sent a test email to my gmail account and none of them showed up. Aha! I just figured it out. If you have a few web mail accounts set up on your phone you need to make sure it sends from your iPhone address. My first one sent from my ISP address and nothing translated, but I sent a second one making sure it was from my iPhone address and they all showed up properly. Interesting.
            Last edited by Shakes Spear; 2009-06-15, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
              Thanks havill. Oh well, they can either see them or they can't, right? SoftBank says most folks with newer phones should see most of them, but my experience has been that a lot of my friends get the good ole = most of the time. I'm guessing with each upgrade it gets better. To be honest, I don't use them that much anyways. By the way, just sent a test email to my gmail account and none of them showed up. Aha! I just figured it out. If you have a few web mail accounts set up on your phone you need to make sure it sends from your iPhone address. My first one sent from my ISP address and nothing translated, but I sent a second one making sure it was from my iPhone address and they all showed up properly. Interesting.
              Correct. That (i) in parentheses by the word "email" in the Japanese and English translation means that emoji only works with the @i.softbank.jp address on the iPhone.

Comment

Originally posted by mavis View Post
                ... I'm just saying it would be nice if the iPhone had an IrDA port.
                irda is 1995. why dont you try changing channels by e-mail you narrow minded fanboi funk. blow me.
                Last edited by starbucks; 2009-06-16, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starbucks View Post
                  irda is 1995. why dont you try changing channels by e-mail you narrow minded fanboi funk. blow me.
                  Aww, that's sweet. Your post reminded me of the old adage "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." So, thank you.

Seriously though, the difference between me and an actual fanboy is that while I do love my iPhone, I'm the first to admit it's FAR from perfect. It's called being objective, and it's something you seem to be incapable of. Fortunately, though, not all hope is lost! As you mature, you may find yourself capable of independent, intelligent thought. You may also find hair growing in various places on your body, but that discussion is best left to your father (or perhaps the school nurse, if you don't have a daddy) ... Best of luck! And thanks again for the compliment - you're a sweet kid.

Comment

Originally posted by moonraker View Post
                    Guys, check this out....

sorry for the screenshot size

but the deal is softbank will discontinue the i.softbank.ne.jp becos of i think

2 reason....

1. emoji and pics dont get delivered when using the I service

2. the iphone now supports MMS Standard....
                    I asked Softbank. They told me that the standard iPhone mail address is *****@i.softbank.jp (without 'ne'). Nothing will be discontinued. In fact, you will get a second email address which will be *****@i.softbank.ne.jp (with the added 'ne').

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySeven View Post
                      I asked Softbank. They told me that the standard iPhone mail address is *****@i.softbank.jp (without 'ne'). Nothing will be discontinued. In fact, you will get a second email address which will be *****@i.softbank.ne.jp (with the added 'ne').
                      Cool. I just tried it, using my @i.softbank.jp username in the new @i.softbank.ne.jp address and I could finally send MMS! But the reply-to address is borked (eg, "hT67f49JkeV889bU@i.softbank.ne.jp") ... I guess it's only halfway set up ...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckySeven View Post
                        In fact, you will get a second email address which will be *****@i.softbank.ne.jp (with the added 'ne').
                        Originally posted by mavis View Post
                        Cool. I just tried it...
                        That's strange. I called Softbank the other day and they said the regular @softbank.ne.jp will be available (with no "i"). I saw it reported on some other websites too.

http://donpyxxx.tenkomori.tv/e103845.html is one.

Comment

Originally posted by schroeder View Post
                          That's strange. I called Softbank the other day and they said the regular @softbank.ne.jp will be available (with no "i"). I saw it reported on some other websites too.

That's the problem with Softbank. Half the time they don't know what they're talking about. The lady who helped me was on the phone for ten minutes before she could tell me what she told me. She didn't seem sure about it all, though. I also asked about the new iPhone. No brochure yet, not even an idea how much they will cost. Go figure! This was last Saturday, by the way.

Comment

iPhone Dev-Team to Live Demo YellowSn0w Unlock on OS 3.0 - http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4226
                            This is going to happen tonight.

About jailbreak:
                            "Meanwhile, wefre in the middle of testing our PwnageTool and QuickPwn tools, which will work with iTunes 8.2.
                            The jailbreak of course continues to work on 3.0 for all devices it ever worked on, thanks due the Pwnage 2.0 technique released last summer.
                            Our tools will be released no sooner than the Apple release (just in case!)."

I guess I can upgrade to 3.0 now.

Something curious.
                            Mavis put up a picture earlier just to be nice to starbucks :-), I don't have that option on my iPhone, ie.
                            "In Contacts, tap the person whose information you want to share. Tap Share Contact at the bottom of the screen, then tap MMS. Address the message and tap Send."

I don't have the "Share Contact" option.
                            OS2.2, jailbroken and unlocked.
                            Is that picture from pre-release OS3.0 or an "un-official" MMS application's mod?

Does anyone know if all applications written for OS2.0 will work on OS3.0?

Comment

Originally posted by schroeder View Post

Yup, you're right. I double checked the reply-to address on the email I sent using MMS and it's "fc6b387fd7secb0@softbank.ne.jp" without the i-dot at the beginning. I can receive MMS at that address, too.

Comment

Originally posted by yankeedoodle View Post
                                Is that picture from pre-release OS3.0 or an "un-official" MMS application's mod?
                                I'm running OS 3.0 GM.

Comment

Working...
                                X