Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Anyone know this computer retailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know this computer retailer?

Has anyone bought from these guys?

http://www.pctokyo.com/

It was run by a Swedish guy, but I've heard he sold the company. Problem is that they are charging too much just for the benefit of having English Windows.

Depends what you need, but you could either get a Japanese PC or one without Operating system and then install Windows7 yourself (very easy, just insert the disk and follow the instructions) OR get one with Windows7 Ultimate which is completely multi-lingual. Sofmap.com also sells used PCs with guarantees at substantial discounts.
    I actually ended up building a PC myself from parts ordered online at Sofmap, Tsukumo and PCDepot. Cheapest and most customizable option and also gives you the expertise to understand your machine. No specific technical skill is necessary - lots of guides on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      It was run by a Swedish guy, but I've heard he sold the company. Problem is that they are charging too much just for the benefit of having English Windows.

Depends what you need, but you could either get a Japanese PC or one without Operating system and then install Windows7 yourself (very easy, just insert the disk and follow the instructions) OR get one with Windows7 Ultimate which is completely multi-lingual. Sofmap.com also sells used PCs with guarantees at substantial discounts.
      I actually ended up building a PC myself from parts ordered online at Sofmap, Tsukumo and PCDepot. Cheapest and most customizable option and also gives you the expertise to understand your machine. No specific technical skill is necessary - lots of guides on the internet.
      Thanks.
      Yeah.. just that there are not many options for people who dont have the computer or Japanese skills...
      Wondering if these guys are a good option for them...

Comment

Originally posted by hennagaijin View Post
        Thanks.
        Yeah.. just that there are not many options for people who dont have the computer or Japanese skills...
        Wondering if these guys are a good option for them...
        Again, it really depends. They've been around for some time. I bought a PC off them about 6 years ago which worked well for 5 years before the power supply broke.

Main problem is that they charge at least 50 % premium for Hard and Software.
        At Amazon.com, Windows 7 Home Premium System Builder is $ 92, so it's amazing that they charge Y 10,500 EXTRA if you want English W7 instead of the 'included' Japanese W7.

Also, do some proper research, what you need and want to spend. Is it just for surfing the web and playing some music ? Or for gaming ? If you're worried about support, also e.g. PC Deport has 'PC Clinics' in their outlet where you can bring the PC for repairs.

Comment

Just buy a mac

Comment

FFFFFFI have used Windows 7, Macintosh and Linux. Microsoft Windows to me is nothing more than a mere joke. There has been this ideology that anything other than MSW is inferior or for geeks. That it is somehow the king OS. That is absolute poppy____. It costs an est. $100 for a single license on one computer. After you install it you still need hardware software drivers, antivirus, flash, video codecs, office suite, PDF reader and much more to perform daily tasks. ...

FFFFFFMeanwhile Linux has been accused as being too complicated to use. An inferior operating system created and used by amateur geeks on a small scale. Seriously where have these people been living c.under a rock? Linux has been around longer. It is on more systems. A community of talented professionals is continuously working to perfect it. You can install and use it on just about anything. Some individuals who tried it have argued they couldnft get certain hardware to function. Often times the person was at fault. No youfre not forced to use terminal either. ...

FFFFFFThe only thing about Macintosh that I like is their Unix-based OS. Their hardware fails just as much as any other machine does. Macintosh is a premium price brand name used as a public statement piece and nothing more. ...

Originally posted by COMPUTERWORLD - My Comment
            A skilled hacker (computer programmer) with enough access, determination and time can penetrate any database. Unix based OSs are more secure. No safe is impenetrable; however, you can design it in a way that delays the criminal for a duration of time till the proper authorities arrive. Building an OS thinking that it is impenetrable regardless of initial design is folly. I think that further security measures should be built into the operating systems, that including Linux distros, differently than how it is as of today. Put aside the fanboy ideology that somehow your precious system cannot be broken into. You're quite simply dreaming.
            I recommend using Ubuntu or Linux Mint in the language you prefer unless you're planning to do regular gaming on your system.

Comment

Originally posted by ‚‹΄r˜N View Post
              F
              I recommend using Ubuntu or Linux Mint in the language you prefer unless you're planning to do regular gaming on your system.
              It's been years since I looked at Linux, but I'm due a new computer soon and was thinking of going for Linux this time - but I like games - is Linux no good for PC games still?

Comment

That largely depends on certain factors. Which games chosen and how often you choose to play video games are a couple. Wine is an option. There are pitfalls toward using it versus the originally intended native environment. You'll notice a reduction in frame rate (etc...) when comparing the statistics of running either. Having high-end hardware is a way to counter that. Consoles are restricted to old APIs. Microsoft's Xbox 360 uses DX9 for example. I'm an OGL fan. Linux isn't targeted in the general consumer desktop/laptop market for gaming in the United States because the majority of computers bought in that zone have Windows pre-installed on them. The people who purchase them often times don't know what an operating system is or could care less which one they use so long as they can access the internet. Consoles have taken over the gaming market. Despite the somewhat popular theology, PC gaming is still not dead by a long-shot. Often times games are ported to PC and sometimes vise versa. Purchasing a console would be the cheaper route to go altogether.
                Last edited by ‚‹΄r˜N; 2011-09-23, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ‚‹΄r˜N View Post
                  Despite the somewhat popular theology, PC gaming is still not dead by a long-shot. Often times games are ported to PC and sometimes vise versa. Purchasing a console would be the cheaper route to go altogether.
                  Cheers for the answer. I've always preferred PC gaming to consoles - the trouble is my PC is too low spec for most new PC games.

I've never really got the hang of x-box and PS controllers - but after having a a look at the x-360 with kinect at the Tokyo Game Show I reckon I could go for one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by jrp View Post
                    It's been years since I looked at Linux, but I'm due a new computer soon and was thinking of going for Linux this time - but I like games - is Linux no good for PC games still?
                    With a bootloader, e.g. EasyBCD (free) you can also have two operating systems on your PC, e.g. only use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else. If you know where to look *cough* mydigitallife.com *cough* you can also activate Windows for free.

Comment

With a bootloader, e.g. EasyBCD (free) you can also have two operating systems on your PC, e.g. only use Windows for gaming and Linux for everything else. If you know where to look *cough* mydigitallife.com *cough* you can also activate Windows for free.
                      I've often dual booted my computers - but I've usually just gone into Linux for a while then gone back to windows. So I figured I might as well just have windows on there and have the extra disk space, and boot Linux from a memory stick if I want to. But the only times I've used the Linux on the memory stick is to recover files on friends computers when they've managed to totally f them up.

So I was thinking with the next computer I'd be legit and re-learn Linux without the ease of having Windows on it.

Also, the link to mydigitallife.com didn't work for me.

Comment

sorry, forums.mydigitallife.info *cough*

Comment

sorry, forums.mydigitallife.info *cough*
                          Cool. That looks like a pretty good site - cheers.

Comment

Working...
                          X