Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

buying new desktop pc..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying new desktop pc..

plan to go to akihabara.. my budget is 5-8万
    any tips to what to buy and a good shop to buy it from?
    plan to use it for watching things.. and playing online games..

For those basic requirements I would buy a DELL Vostro 230 slimline desktop with display 50,000 yen
    http://configure.apj.dell.com/dellst...id=vostro-230s
    Double or triple the memory if you need to later and/or add a low-profile graphics card (again, if you need to). Upgrade the standard drive to a DVD multi drive for 2000 yen extra.

It should come with a Windows 7 operating system disc. Boot first into the pre-installed Japanese OS and make a note of what is installed and copy the drivers directory (optional). Reboot the computer using the system disc - English installation will be an option. Takes a about 30 minutes for the initial installation - then a few hours to tweak everything and install updates. If you don't know how to make the DVD player region-free (and it's something you want/need - PM me).

Warranty is valid no matter what flavor of operating system you install (and/or if you add additional memory and graphics card). One year warranty for the computer and usually three years for the display. You'll get a mouse and keyboard too.

--

Comment

Dang that's cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by liamoko View Post
        Dang that's cheap.
        It's cheap because the socket (775) is two generations old. Would building your own PC from scratch also be an option ? This would get you the best value.

Or buying a used one ? Sofmap.com has also a large collection of used PCs. Craigslist also has a PC section but I found that most sellers have extremely unrealistic expectations what their old PC should be worth.
        Last edited by ttokyo; 2011-11-04, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
          It's cheap because the socket (775) is two generations old. Would building your own PC from scratch also be an option ? This would get you the best value.

Or buying a used one ? Sofmap.com has also a large collection of used PCs. Craigslist also has a PC section but I found that most sellers have extremely unrealistic expectations what their old PC should be worth.
          I'm curious about this option. What sort of chip set, MB etc combination would you recommend?

Comment

OK - I found something more modern - a Lenovo with an i3 for 53,000 yen http://kakaku.com/item/K0000258277

If the guy builds his own and installs Ubuntu then sure he could save perhaps 10,000 yen.

--
            Last edited by mr.sumo.snr; 2011-11-05, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthByNorthwest View Post
              I'm curious about this option. What sort of chip set, MB etc combination would you recommend?
              First, what do you want to do with it?

What OS (and what language) will you be using?

How much is a collect-and-return warranty worth to you?

--
              Last edited by mr.sumo.snr; 2011-11-05, 09:00 AM.

Comment

I reckon you could widen that to 99% of people selling second hand computers have unrealistic expectations!!!!!

I've given away computers with higher specs than some of the rubbish they try and sell.

I'm thinking of going down the 'build myself' road as well - but there's starting to be some really good deals out there now with the drop in desktop sales world wide. Last weekend I saw an Onkyo 7000 series for 40,000 - looked like a pretty sweet deal.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.sumo.snr View Post
                  First, what do you want to do with it?

What OS (and what language) will you be using?

How much is a collect-and-return warranty worth to you?

--
                  Hmm let's see.

Mostly for Internet surfing, lots of word processing, some Excel and Powerpoint, watching DVDs & other videos and occasionally games.

I'm on Windows XP (English) but would probably get Windows7 (also in English); not allergic to Mac (had one before) but not addicted to them either.

I don't think I've ever used a collect & return warranty, so it's probably not worth a whole lot to me unless it is a product I can't open up and try servicing myself.

Comment

My Sony with Windows Xp finally crapped out. I took it apart, removed a few things, damaged the rest, and stuck most of the parts back in the case. Luckily, I have copies of most of the important stuff. It lasted about 9 years, so it was definitely worth the 100,000\ price tag. To replace it, I really want to get either a Mac Pro with a 27" screen, or maybe a 21" iMac. A new Windows machine would still be nice, so I am not counting them out yet.

Comment

There are tons of guides on the web, such as here, but I'd probably prefer an Intel processor/mainboard.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=Z7DsJqN1D1c

The real advantage is that you can tailor it to whatever your needs are, such as lots of HD space, blue-ray player, card readers, etc. Virtually all components are also available in Japan, e.g. at sofmap, tsukumo, PC depot, etc.

LD2 : If your old hard drive is still working, you could still use the data in a new PC...

Comment

There are tons of guides on the web, such as here, but I'd probably prefer an Intel processor/mainboard.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817...id=Z7DsJqN1D1c

The real advantage is that you can tailor it to whatever your needs are, such as lots of HD space, blue-ray player, card readers, etc. Virtually all components are also available in Japan, e.g. at sofmap, tsukumo, PC depot, etc.

LD2 : If your old hard drive is still working, you could still use the data in a new PC...
                        Thanks for the heads up ttokyo. I kinda figured that it would be possible but wasn't sure. So, I did save the HD just in case. I actually saved the memory sticks too (4 X 512MB), and was considering taking out the lasers as well, but that proved to be a PITA due to the crap tool selection I have here. Now I just have to find a reader for the HD. Hell, I may even buy a switch and a timer, wire up one of the fans to a battery, and stick it in the bathroom to air it out a bit.

Comment

Let's see, most desktop PC's are designed to be cracked open and modded these days. For gaming I'd go with a good graphics card as most games are really data and graphic intensive these days. I'd also spring for one of the latest Intel CPU's-it may be a fast and cutting edge but a month from now that motherboard will be considered slow. HD Drives should be in the realm of 500GB–actually more is better and at a minimum 8-16GB of RAM. I know that sounds expensive but prices on PC hardware are falling these days.

This would definitely be a nice machine to own, it's a bit overpriced and overhyped out of the box but as a DIY project that's another story
                          http://www.techgadgets.in/desktops/2...ming-desktop/#

The specs;
                          Processor Intel 2.8GHz Core i7-930
                          Mobo Custom ATX board using X58 chipset
                          RAM 12GB DDR3/1333 in tri-channel mode
                          Videocard GeForce GTX 470
                          Soundcard Onboard
                          Storage One 1.5TB Western Digital W15EADS (7,200rpm)
                          Optical Lite-On DH16AASH
                          Case/PSU Custom / FSP 750 watt
                          You can pick up these parts for around 100,000円, which is about a third the price of the actual Predator.

Comment

There are tons of forums out there on advice of how to build a custom PC and which parts to select (toms hardware, hardware canooks, ...) BUT the i7-930 (Y 28,000) is already old and the better choice in terms of price AND performance are Intels new Sandy Bridge Processors such as the i5-2400 which is half the price (Y 15,000)
                            (www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Note that i7-2600, i5-2500 and even i5-2400 beat the 930 ).
                            Last edited by ttokyo; 2011-11-09, 10:52 AM.

Comment

There are tons of forums out there on advice of how to build a custom PC and which parts to select (toms hardware, hardware canooks, ...) BUT the i7-930 (Y 28,000) is already old and the better choice in terms of price AND performance are Intels new Sandy Bridge Processors such as the i5-2400 which is half the price (Y 15,000)
                              (www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html Note that i7-2600, i5-2500 and even i5-2400 beat the 930 ).
                              I guess they fixed the glitch then...

Comment

Working...
                              X