Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MegaUpload Shut Down by the Feds, Founder Arrested

Action:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/01/excl...-piracy-stand/

and reaction:

http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-shut-down-120119/

Originally posted by Genkii
    I feel sorry for everyone with a lifelong membership. This is one of the reasons I never bought it (it was like 200 euro)

It seems members can now apply for full refunds.

Apply to:

FBI
    FBI Headquarters
    935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20535-0001
    (202) 324-3000

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post

Apply to:

FBI
      FBI Headquarters
      (202) 324-3000

You are as funny as a dead mouse at a wedding!

Comment

Originally posted by BackDoor_Man View Post

Well I showed it to the wife before posting and she's still LOLLing on the floor, and that was 20 minutes ago,so it must just be you ya boring barstool...

Comment

I don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryHurry View Post

Apply to:

FBI
            FBI Headquarters
            (202) 324-3000

an anonymous post that appeared on the FBI website I take it....

Comment

I guess it depends where you put the mouse and whose wedding it is!

Too bad (?) about MegaUpload, but for those who know, there are other easy ways to get what you want.

Comment

It's about time. You could find virtually any pirated software you wanted on Megaupload. Somebody needs to stick up for intellectual property rights. Finally, my tax dollars are doing some good.

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
                  It's about time. You could find virtually any pirated software you wanted on Megaupload. Somebody needs to stick up for intellectual property rights. Finally, my tax dollars are doing some good.
                  Name one person has has been hurt by pirated stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                    Name one person has has been hurt by pirated stuff.
                    Disregarding the majors there are 1000s of small time musicians who have been affected by their music being distributed for free. I'm sure there are many other examples in other media too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andun View Post
                      Disregarding the majors there are 1000s of small time musicians who have been affected by their music being distributed for free. I'm sure there are many other examples in other media too.
                      A lot of the small indie bands would never get their their music distributed if it wasn't for people uploading their songs to TPB, Demonoid or Megaupload.

One of the most successful bands ever to be formed used to let people take photos, record their music and even jack into the mix feed during their concerts and people STILL went out and bought their albums. If the Grateful Dead could do it, why can't all of these other big name bands do it? Could it be they're afraid their music actually sucks and nobody would pay for a fully mastered and mixed CD or DVD of what is actually crap?

Comment

Originally posted by edin“ú–{ View Post
                        A lot of the small indie bands would never get their their music distributed if it wasn't for people uploading their songs to TPB, Demonoid or Megaupload.

One of the most successful bands ever to be formed used to let people take photos, record their music and even jack into the mix feed during their concerts and people STILL went out and bought their albums. If the Grateful Dead could do it, why can't all of these other big name bands do it? Could it be they're afraid their music actually sucks and nobody would pay for a fully mastered and mixed CD or DVD of what is actually crap?
                        Yep.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...l-1812776.html

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
                          Should I even start to list off the URLs of *other* file hosting websites? Megaupload was huge, but so are many other sites. Now that Megaupload is gone, one of these other sites will become more popular and fill the void in less than a week.

The thing about file sharing is that no matter how many torrent sites or file hosting servers you take down, even with legal proceedings against the founders (I remember reading about a huge music torrenting site that was shut down and the owner in custody and the charges against him were dismissed rather quickly for lack of evidence that stuck....) there will always be more sites. File sharing is like a hydra- cut off one head and two more come back.

Comment

Originally posted by xHime View Post
                            Should I even start to list off the URLs of *other* file hosting websites? Megaupload was huge, but so are many other sites. Now that Megaupload is gone, one of these other sites will become more popular and fill the void in less than a week.

The thing about file sharing is that no matter how many torrent sites or file hosting servers you take down, even with legal proceedings against the founders (I remember reading about a huge music torrenting site that was shut down and the owner in custody and the charges against him were dismissed rather quickly for lack of evidence that stuck....) there will always be more sites. File sharing is like a hydra- cut off one head and two more come back.

Yes, it does seem to be that way. The powers that be need to get to grips with things in a more fair and workable way instead of the knee jerk and sledgehammer. Downloading isn't going to stop.

Comment

If the U.S. govt. can already do this to sites like MegaUpload, then why is it, again, that SOPA and PIPA are needed?

Comment

Working...
                              X