Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Windows 8 vs Ubuntu 12.04

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edin“ϊ–{ View Post
    Wanna hear a secret? Android is an Ubuntu distro. Look at the source code and you'll see the similarities.
    I well i know that Android has the Linux kernel, but i think the Java stacks runs on top of the kernel.

Comment

There should be an option that says NONE.

If lets say that Linux Mint is going to be mainstream, or Apples OS etc.

But I am sure 8 is going to be the new mainstream. They will have to make it faster than a mac in oredr to win the war.

Comment

Originally posted by leder View Post

But I am sure 8 is going to be the new mainstream. They will have to make it faster than a mac in oredr to win the war.
        The reason why I used Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 is because both OS's are in beta, and Windows has 90 percent of the desktop market. Ubuntu 12.04 beta 1 is pretty fast.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxFun View Post
          The reason why I used Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.04 is because both OS's are in beta, and Windows has 90 percent of the desktop market. Ubuntu 12.04 beta 1 is pretty fast.
          This data is from 2010-2011 - An updated analysis does not seem to have been released publicly yet.

Locally here in Japan, for the companies I interact with, I'm seeing a lot of companies making migrations from WinXP to Win7. Others that got stung by Vista are also biting the bullet and migrating yet again to Win7, booking a increase in operating expenses for FY2011 and FY2012 to cover the migrations.

Respectively, those companies that migrated to Win7 for end-users, saw a decrease in support costs. (Less trouble tickets and hours spent on end-user related desktop software issues.) A majority of the recent support tickets were related to hardware issues.

I'd say 10% of the companies in my scope are Mac houses. We have no companies that are using any variant of Linux for a desktop OS. Servers, lots of different flavors of Linux and Windows tossed in with mainframes and other various UNIX platforms (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX etc.)

For now, I don't think we will see much change in the landscape of end-user desktop OS's. Mac & Windows will hold their ground, at least in the business scene.

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
            This data is from 2010-2011 -
            Respectively, those companies that migrated to Win7 for end-users, saw a decrease in support costs. (Less trouble tickets and hours spent on end-user related desktop software issues.) A majority of the recent support tickets were related to hardware issues.

I'd say 10% of the companies in my scope are Mac houses. We have no companies that are using any variant of Linux for a desktop OS. Servers, lots of different flavors of Linux and Windows tossed in with mainframes and other various UNIX platforms (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX etc.)

For now, I don't think we will see much change in the landscape of end-user desktop OS's. Mac & Windows will hold their ground, at least in the business scene.
            Have you ever used Ubuntu 12.04? I think you can get a better perspective if you tried it out for a week. As for as the Japanese's business environment, you are pretty much correct. A lot of office apps are design for the Windows environment. A person would have to design a business-plan that is customize for Japanese cooperate culture.

But I believe that people with 4 year old workstation are the lowest hanging fruit. but the service package can not be an half aZZ project. It would have to be polished from proposal to final implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by leder View Post

I don't think Linux mint is ready for the average windows user, they don't have the infrastructure to handle a large customer base.

Comment

Ubuntu 12.04 beta 2 final release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kzFrItCHOE

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07180

Comment

Window 8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rNuS...Nii9XUlopWFM0=

Comment

I never knew there were Microsoft fanboys. I thought only Apple had them.

Comment

Haha! Around the 24 minute mark, they try to load internet explorer - and it crashes and requires a reboot! And that's why I don't use windows. This video is painful, between the morons reporting, and the fact that windows is crashing while they are using it, it's an exercise in hilarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                        Haha! Around the 24 minute mark, they try to load internet explorer - and it crashes and requires a reboot! And that's why I don't use windows. This video is painful, between the morons reporting, and the fact that windows is crashing while they are using it, it's an exercise in hilarity.
                        The way I hear it, Windows 8 is going the same path as ME and Vista.

Comment

ubuntu 12.04 review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-_ya...8FAAAAAAAAHAA#

Comment

ubuntu 12.04 release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D6z6hn6wZlg

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntu

Comment

I myself am not a fan of bloated Ubuntu. Arch Linux is bleeding edge. Windows 8 is a joke from cash chow corporate.

Comment

arch linux

Comment

Working...
                                X