Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Any Dell inspiron notebook user - please help me out.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Dell inspiron notebook user - please help me out.

    I need to repair my inspiron notebook's windows 7 (Home) installation but I have no recovery disk. My computer wont boot and it comes up with a message to insert recovery disk. Can any kind inspiron notebook user make a recovery disk on their system for me? I will pay for any charges. Thanks.

  • #2
    You could download and install Windows 8 Consumer Preview for free. (an alternative to trying to find a recovery disk)

    Comment


    • #3
      Have you checked on the Dell Hompage ? If you have a valid service tag / express service code you should be able to access their 'download center'.

      My personal recommendation would be to use this opportunity to download and upgrade to W7 Ultimate. Your BIOS already contains the DELL SLIC certificate for all W7 versions, so you can activate it with the generic DELL key ( 342DG-6YJR8-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27 ) in some easy steps.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Shakes Spear View Post
        You could download and install Windows 8 Consumer Preview for free. (an alternative to trying to find a recovery disk)
        Thanks! I will check it out. BTW is this a trial version of win 8?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Asahi-Freestyle View Post
          Thanks! I will check it out. BTW is this a trial version of win 8?
          It's a "consumer preview", so yes, it's a trial of sorts. At some point they will want you to pay for it.

          ttokyo's advice might be a better bet.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
            Have you checked on the Dell Hompage ? If you have a valid service tag / express service code you should be able to access their 'download center'.

            My personal recommendation would be to use this opportunity to download and upgrade to W7 Ultimate. Your BIOS already contains the DELL SLIC certificate for all W7 versions, so you can activate it with the generic DELL key ( 342DG-6YJR8-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27 ) in some easy steps.
            I have a valid service tag and express code. I can't find W7 ultimate download on their download center though.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Asahi-Freestyle View Post
              I have a valid service tag and express code. I can't find W7 ultimate download on their download center though.
              What I would also suggest you do is make a live CD of Ubuntu. If you boot from the Ubuntu CD you'll be able to browse the partitions on your HDD and rescue your files. You can then go ahead and nuke the HDD and do a clean install of whatever OS tickles your fancy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Asahi-Freestyle View Post
                I need to repair my inspiron notebook's windows 7 (Home) installation but I have no recovery disk. My computer wont boot and it comes up with a message to insert recovery disk. Can any kind inspiron notebook user make a recovery disk on their system for me? I will pay for any charges. Thanks.
                Have you tried safe mode?
                http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's your lucky day. I have exactly what you need. Bear in mind though, if Windows has recently started to crash or give you occasional BSODs, the most likely cause of your problems is a failing hard disk and not a failing OS - but the cure will require, in part, the same medicine.

                  Contact me off the list and we'll sort something out.

                  I love it that when a man asks for water this sub-forum invariably tries to give him a plate of oysters instead.


                  --

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Right. You are prety much stuck up bums creek if dell did provide the disks, you would have to borrow someones disk or buy windows. Alternatively if you were not provided with disks, the setup files are on the hard disk and should be accessible by pressing f8 during initial load.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X