Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Apple computers in Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple computers in Japan

So I have been an avid apple user for many a year, since 2008. I have heard, on several occasion, that Japanese don't use macs. Thats not a big deal to me but as far as internet service and maintenance go am I going to be SOL? I really, really do not want to regress to Windows, I only use that for games like Skyrim which I must use it with.

Originally posted by Masuji View Post
    So I have been an avid apple user for many a year, since 2008. I have heard, on several occasion, that Japanese don't use macs. Thats not a big deal to me but as far as internet service and maintenance go am I going to be SOL? I really, really do not want to regress to Windows, I only use that for games like Skyrim which I must use it with.
    So wrong!

What's the question?

Comment

Tec1:

Is internet service and maintenance easy to come by thats mac compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by Masuji View Post
        Macs are widely used in Japan.

Comment

Macs or anything that Apple ____s out is EXTREMULY populah! in Japan.

Is internet service and maintenance easy to come by thats mac compatible?
          easy to come by? you mean wife? or easy to use? or easily installed? please rephrase your questions so that we can actually HELP

Comment

Don't worry. Internet Services function independently of Windows, Linux, Apple OS or whatever. Connection guides usually have instructions for both Windows and Apple.

Comment

Before moving to Japan, I bought a macbook and an Apple Airport Extreme router. I was concerned that if I bought any off the shelf stuff in Japan, that the menus would be in Japanese, which would be a pain. Long story short: using the Apple gear was totally hassle-free. Just plug-and-play.

Also, your Applecare warranty is global, meaning, it is valid anywhere in the world. I had to have my first macbook replaced here in Japan (failed logic board, video card fizzled out, internal fans crackling) and it was pretty much no hassle, as well. The wait time at the Apple store was the only pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice View Post
                Before moving to Japan, I bought a macbook and an Apple Airport Extreme router. I was concerned that if I bought any off the shelf stuff in Japan, that the menus would be in Japanese, which would be a pain. Long story short: using the Apple gear was totally hassle-free. Just plug-and-play.

Also, your Applecare warranty is global, meaning, it is valid anywhere in the world. I had to have my first macbook replaced here in Japan (failed logic board, video card fizzled out, internal fans crackling) and it was pretty much no hassle, as well. The wait time at the Apple store was the only pain.
                Dice answered my question exactly. Thank you kindly!

Comment

Masuji: just know that the Apple Airport Extreme is also compatible with Windows. So, if you already have a Windows computer, you can use the Airport Extreme with it. If you are needing to purchase a computer in Japan, Windows machines here are ALL (with some more expensive exceptions) in Japanese native language. With Apple, you can purchase it here and select the language during the initial setup phase (or so I've read... I bought my Apple stuff from my home country).

I would suggest that you buy from your hometown/country the gear you need, then bring it all here.

Comment

Also, Most big city apple stores (Tokyo, Osaka ect) have english staff to help

Comment

Originally posted by KawaiiBean View Post
                      Also, Most big city apple stores (Tokyo, Osaka ect) have english staff to help
                      The one in Shibuya is crawling with 'em (though I believe they may be American, not English...)

Comment

BTW: Apple just announced they are hiking all their prices in Japan due to the currency value shift. Their stuff just got a lot more expensive here...

Comment

Originally posted by iago View Post
                          BTW: Apple just announced they are hiking all their prices in Japan due to the currency value shift. Their stuff just got a lot more expensive here...
                          They never did quite bring it in line when the yen was strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                            They never did quite bring it in line when the yen was strong.
                            No. None of them ever do. They regard it as their windfall profit and even that won't stop them jacking prices up when the yen falls again.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cow View Post
                              No. None of them ever do. They regard it as their windfall profit and even that won't stop them jacking prices up when the yen falls again.
                              The wonders of the market: price gouging, price fixing, patent violations, enslaving workers to point they commit suicide... Why would we ever need intervention from governments?

http://www.commondreams.org/video/2013/06/04-0
                              Last edited by Hijinx; 2013-06-05, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X