Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

To cook or not to cook

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To cook or not to cook

What do you all think? Given that you are meeting healthy nutritional need, is it cheaper to buy food in a supermarket and prepare at home or always go out/get takeout/buy ready-made?

It seems that buying at a supermarket and preparing at home is cheaper at first look, but figure in gas, electricity and water, and maybe this negates the savings. Whadda ya think?

Cooking at home is healthier, but I make you look not lazy.

I miss a good Shokudo the way I miss sex. I grew up around Kyoto U. God, there was no reason to cook. It was cheap Tonkatsu heaven.

But yeah, the reason it isn't good for you is because it's loaded with salt. And fat. And we are getting to that stage.

Do what she tells ya, man. They really do good work that way, and yours is a good one, after all.

XOX

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
      Cooking at home is healthier, but I make you look not lazy.

I miss a good Shokudo the way I miss sex. I grew up around Kyoto U. God, there was no reason to cook. It was cheap Tonkatsu heaven.

But yeah, the reason it isn't good for you is because it's loaded with salt. And fat. And we are getting to that stage.

Do what she tells ya, man. They really do good work that way, and yours is a good one, after all.

XOX
      So maybe you have to figure in the heath costs of not preparing food at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
        So maybe you have to figure in the heath costs of not preparing food at home.
        That was so oblique, I have to give it to you.

If I sober up and figger out WTF you mean, I'll get back to you...............

On the other hand, I just had to make food because I live in a No Delivery Zone.

I gotta feeling a half year There programme is gaining traction. At least I won't have to F'in cook.

Besides, they still have women that Fck in Japan.

Comment

I generally cook for 250yen/serving or less. Adding gas (barely anything compared to the gas costs of your hotwater heater), and its still going to be cheaper than anything I can eat at a restaurant...

Comment

I often think it's cheaper to eat out or buy ready made here - especially compared to the UK. But I cook. I'm cooking for 2 only and I'm the only one doing it. I think it's maybe vastly different if you're cooking for more.
            I do buy ready made salads these days.
            Otherwise I cook and freeze the leftovers. I also have a slow cooker which is great in winter. I prefer my own sandwiches by far to the convenience store/supermarket ones.
            One of the main reasons I cook is that I'm afraid of salt and additives. I also don't like the amount of fat on certain 'donburi' etc. dishes. Plus I'm a good cook. If you're not then the supermarkets might be the best bet.
            But definitely, compared to home, cooking for oneself isn't the cheapest option.

Comment

I think, if you are cooking for more than 1, it is totally worth it to cook in every way - fresh veggies etc are very cheap here.

However if you are by yourself, and cooking only for yourself, Im not sure it would be worth it from a financial perspective. You would probably be keeping that hakusai in your fridge for about two weeks... ?

Comment

It's way cheaper to cook than to eat-out, buy bentos and stuff.
                You COULD eat really cheaply (beef bowl, cheeseburgers etc) but if you want stuff like roast chicken and veg, good pasta, reasonable steak then
                home is the way to go price-wise. I spend about 5000-6000 yen a week on groceries for home food, inc quite a lot of fruit and that gives me about 5 days of food-3 meals a day and I eat nice stuff.
                That would only give me about 1100 yen a day to buy take-out etc with. Not really enough....
                Nutrition wise. Home for sure.

Comment

I dunno. I think I could buy fairly nutritious bentos salads for a day's worth of nutrition for 1000 yen or under. And that's without any utilities. 30,000 a month--no fuss.

Comment

The process of preparing food can be part of the pleasure of eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncompletist View Post
                      The process of preparing food can be part of the pleasure of eating.
                      Or the agony. Luckily, my wife does most of the cooking.

Comment

I cook. I love to cook, it's a great way to destress and I can pretend to be Gordon Ramsay and shout at useless imaginary people.

The breakdown, for two:
                        8000yen groceries per week x 4 = 32000yen.
                        gas/elect/water is 10000yen / month, let's give it a nice round figure say 50kyen a month.

For two to eat out every meal every day would be 3000yen/day x 30 = 90k yen a month.

Definitely cheaper to cook.

And then there's this.

http://cooktobang.com/

Comment

Originally posted by iamsen View Post
                          I cook. I love to cook, it's a great way to destress and I can pretend to be Gordon Ramsay and shout at useless imaginary people.

The breakdown, for two:
                          8000yen groceries per week x 4 = 32000yen.
                          gas/elect/water is 10000yen / month, let's give it a nice round figure say 50kyen a month.

For two to eat out every meal every day would be 3000yen/day x 30 = 90k yen a month.

Definitely cheaper to cook.

And then there's this.

http://cooktobang.com/
                          8000 yen a week?
                          I'm at about 4000 a day....on a good day

Comment

Well it seems that the cook at home option is winning out here. But I wanted to add two wrinkles. First of all – why not grow your own instead of sourcing ingredients at the supermarket? This is much cheaper if you have already invested in the land and it is a great way to stay in shape as well. Secondly – why not mooch? Surely eyall have friends – like Bella, who are good cooks and are willing to add a cupfo water to their soup?

Comment

Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                              Well it seems that the cook at home option is winning out here. But I wanted to add two wrinkles. First of all – why not grow your own instead of sourcing ingredients at the supermarket? This is much cheaper if you have already invested in the land and it is a great way to stay in shape as well. Secondly – why not mooch? Surely eyall have friends – like Bella, who are good cooks and are willing to add a cupfo water to their soup?
                              I don't mind cooking per se, it's the shopping, cooking and cleaning up after that I dislike.
                              I like going into supermarkets for window shopping, as I love the cute little housewives.

About the land, I don't think I could swing a piece of land in Tokyo, but it's something to think about down the road.
                              I'm getting closer to 'that age'!

Comment

Working...
                              X