Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Whacha reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Booker
    i'm reading a big fat b1tch of a book called *dawn to the west*. a necessary evil
    Only one book at the moment?
    Originally posted by JT
    I've just started reading 'Russka' by Edward Rutherfurd. Have decided I'm going to read all his historical epics.
    Yeah good luck with that JT. Exactly how much free time do you have?
    Originally posted by tortnoise
    Never read Harry Potter s**t and never will do.
    Harry Potter's Slut? Now that I would read.

Comment

• only one book, sir. i am only human...i think.

Comment

• When the wife ws feeding the newborn tonight after bath time, I played with the 3 year old. I suggested we build something with her blocks, but my daughter wnted to read a book instead. Her mother insists on reding together every day. It's one of the only parenting issues we don't agree on. So the girl went and got "Guess How Much I Love You" off the bookshelf and sat on my lap to read. I did my best to keep her attention on the pictures (a couple of bunnies in the woods), but she likes to hear me read while she's looking. So I grudgingly spoke the words -- nything to avoid the doghouse -- hoping the girl's still too young to actually make something of the phonics.

Finally the wife left the room. I put the book on my head, rolled my eyes up, stuck my tongue out and said u‚ׂ¦‚¦‚¦‚¦‚¦‚¦BBBv She laughed and grbbed the book off my head, then flung it across the room, tearing one of the pages in half where she'd been holding it. I folded up the torn out part and hid it in the bottom of the trash can so my wife wouldn't try to tape it back. What a proud moment. I just hope the girl can keep her hed clear. It'll be an uphill battle in Japan though -- hard to be that 1% who can't read here. I'm seriously thinking I should raise her back in North Carolina. At least there she has a good 1 in 5 chance of growing up illiterte... Chances are nearly 1 in 2 she wouldn't even finish high school. Better get packing!

Comment

• Originally posted by aha yes
          At least there she has a good 1 in 5 chance of growing up illiterte... Chances are nearly 1 in 2 she wouldn't even finish high school. Better get packing!
          and watch the doors of choice slam shut in her face...i hear grease monkey is always hiring, though:0

Comment

• Originally posted by Booker
            and watch the doors of choice slam shut in her face...i hear grease monkey is always hiring, though:0
            There's no need to sneer at the manual jobs, book monkey. It's debatable whether having choices actually makes people happy. I've met some very contented car mechanics...and some PhDs who are never satisfied. Exhibit A: Kimonolover -- goofy Southern boy who tinkers with engines, is illiterate as hell, but is totally unshakable.

Exhibit B: I worked with a roofer once in Charlotte who had immigrated to the US when he was 16, didn't finish high school and eked out a living for his wife and 2 kids by running his own little "company" (unlicensed and untaxed) within the Greek community. Couldn't read a lick of English. Roofing is some heavy and dirty sh!t work, but he said that when he stood back and looked at a finished project -- a sharp, well-covered home -- it was a feeling he lived for. He also said he had known since he was 13 years old that roofing is what he wanted to do, in the true spirit of 'vocation' (calling). We went fishing together after work sometimes. He brought the beer and I supplied the left-handed cigs. One summer afternoon we were sitting on the pier -- a couple of know-nothings who didn't really care if we caught anything but just enjoyed the occasion -- when a storm rolled in. The front end of the rain came with a rainbow, across the lake towards us in a straight line like a sheer wall of water and color. It was so beautiful we forgot to run away and ended up drenched.

I'll quote Jack London on this point:
            "There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive."

So get your nose out of the book and breathe in some fresh air. Reading isn't everything.

Comment

• Congratulations on your new-born child, sir.

Thank you for the Jack London quote and the Greek roofer story. and there was something else I had to thank you for.... it's gone. Thanks, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Ob

Yeah good luck with that JT. Exactly how much free time do you have?
                Not a great deal. I usually read on the train on the way to work.

Comment

• Originally posted by aha yes
                  There's no need to sneer at the manual jobs, book monkey. It's debatable whether having choices actually makes people happy. I've met some very contented car mechanics...and some PhDs who are never satisfied. Exhibit A: Kimonolover -- goofy Southern boy who tinkers with engines, is illiterate as hell, but is totally unshakable.

Exhibit B: I worked with a roofer once in Charlotte who had immigrated to the US when he was 16, didn't finish high school and eked out a living for his wife and 2 kids by running his own little "company" (unlicensed and untaxed) within the Greek community. Couldn't read a lick of English. Roofing is some heavy and dirty sh!t work, but he said that when he stood back and looked at a finished project -- a sharp, well-covered home -- it was a feeling he lived for. He also said he had known since he was 13 years old that roofing is what he wanted to do, in the true spirit of 'vocation' (calling). We went fishing together after work sometimes. He brought the beer and I supplied the left-handed cigs. One summer afternoon we were sitting on the pier -- a couple of know-nothings who didn't really care if we caught anything but just enjoyed the occasion -- when a storm rolled in. The front end of the rain came with a rainbow, across the lake towards us in a straight line like a sheer wall of water and color. It was so beautiful we forgot to run away and ended up drenched.

I'll quote Jack London on this point:
                  "There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive."

So get your nose out of the book and breathe in some fresh air. Reading isn't everything.
                  hey now, i wasn't being snippy with you. i was being funny. playful. like a puppy. you're quite the enigma, aren't you, yes. on the one hand you tell ME to get my head out of the pages of whatever, yet you proceed to quote--at will, i presume--jack london. you, young sir, are quite the opposite of the "know-nothing" you claim (pretend?) to be. there's no shame in being able to write as well as you do, in being a cog in the wheel of the literacy. but i don't really need to remind you of that, now do i?

Comment

• I just finished Tuchman's The Proud Tower, and now have picked up "Gotham" a history of NY again. Its just too big to power through and too full of goodies.
                    For example I just learned that in 1875 Bayonne New Jersey was Manhattan's garbage dump ! excellent...

Comment

• Originally posted by foxy49
                      I just finished reading ^Žì•wl(shinjyu-fujin = pearl lady) by ‹e’rŠ°iKikuchi Kan), a classic, Japanese version of Carmen.
                      What do you think of it? Thanks.

Comment

• Borrowed The Da Vinci code from a mate. Will start on it on Tuesday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Васи
                          What do you think of it? Thanks.
                          Very interesting I thought. The novel was written almost 100 years ago in old Japanese style expression. The woman was a real devilish nymph who emotionally tortured many men whos fallen under her spell. If you haven't read it yet I won't go any further but the novel must have created quite a sensation at the time.
                          Last edited by foxy49; 2006-06-05, 10:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by foxy49
                            Very interesting I thought. The novel was written almost 100 years ago in old Japanese style expression. The woman was a real devilish nymph who emotionally tortured many men whos fallen under her spell. If you haven't read it yet I won't go any further but the novel must have created quite a sensation at the time.
                            I really want to read it, it seems interesting. Thank you very much, I will search for it and I can discuss it with you later.

Comment

• Whatcha reading?

The back label on my underpants waistband.

Did you know I am a recently reformed drunk?.
                              I am fed up being socially responsible.
                              Oh,I am so frustrated when I am missing my piece of mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by „B„p„ƒ„y
                                I really want to read it, it seems interesting. Thank you very much, I will search for it and I can discuss it with you later.
                                I highly recommend it. We can dicuss it. It'll be fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X