Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Whacha reading?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Years of Rice and Salt.

Interesting what could have been history novel.

Comment

• The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese

Comment

• Originally posted by gaijin74
        The Complete Idiot's Guide to Conversational Japanese
        How about the Complete Idiots Guide to Complete Idiot Guides?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.T
          Borrowed The Da Vinci code from a mate. Will start on it on Tuesday.
          If you also want to watch the movie, I suggest you make sure watch it bfore reading the book. Fell asleep while watching it cos the movie is much more worse than the book --even it took 3 hours to watch, they skip lots of details.

I'm reading "THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD" by John le Carre. Other than this, usually love suspense thriller by Dean Koontz and spooky books by Stephen King.

Comment

• almost always have 3 books going at any one time ..

quiver
            queen of the damned
            the spy in the house of love

Comment

• Just finished Shantaram and starting Pinckerton's Sister, with A Devil's Chaplain lined up for next.....

Comment

• Everyone knows . . . .

Just started re-reading "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. Every page is filled with insight and quotable lines.

Here's another just for Aha yes.

Originally posted by Philip Roth
                "So now you don't want to fukc me because I can't read"
                "No, I'm going to fukc you even harder because you can't read"

Comment

• Originally posted by Time22
                  If you also want to watch the movie, I suggest you make sure watch it bfore reading the book. Fell asleep while watching it cos the movie is much more worse than the book --even it took 3 hours to watch, they skip lots of details.

I'm reading "THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD" by John le Carre. Other than this, usually love suspense thriller by Dean Koontz and spooky books by Stephen King.
                  Just finished reading the book, it was pretty average I thought. Wife wants to see the movie shortly, but I can't be bothered.

Comment

• Just finished Botchan.

Hotta's speech was rather good.

Comment

• Originally posted by aha yes

PS Ed, I can't believe you actually re-read books. The depths of addiction...
                      It's a book about a disgraced college professor, hounded out of his job amid accusations of racism, who then embarks on an affair with a woman young enough to be his daughter.

I consider it research for my own future.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ed Ob
                        Just started re-reading "The Human Stain" by Philip Roth. Every page is filled with insight and quotable lines.

Here's another just for Aha yes.
                        I saw the movie, I felt a pity for the professor, who was accused of discrimination but at the same time has spent all his life hiding his origin and running from his true identity, betraying his family and ethics.

Comment

• I am reading Yukio Mishima's "Forbidden Colors". It is a very dark book full of detailed descriptions of the gay Tokyo underwold. An old writer meets a very handsome young man who confesses to him he is gay. The writer then uses him and his beauty as a tool to relive his youth and revenge the women who have caused him pain in the past. The old writer makes a plan how all these women will fall in love with the young boy and be thrown in dispair because they will realize he will be not able to love them. To cause more suffering. the writer instructs the young man that women have no soul and he can treat them as objects, devises ingenious schemes to cause jealousy in the women's hearts who become rivals fighting for the love and the attention of the young man. In the same time the young man can be happy only in the embrace of his own sex. I have not reached the end and do not know what will happen in the end ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Васи
                            I am reading Yukio Mishima's "Forbidden Colors". It is a very dark book full of detailed descriptions of the gay Tokyo underwold...
                            A great book Bacn,
                            The character of Yu Chan (Yuichi) is really well developed and poor Yasuko, his suffering wife, my heart bleeds for her.
                            Mishima gives male gay love a kind of beauty and aesthetic which is not found in any other literature of the same genre.
                            A definite read for Clownpuncher.
                            My only criticism of Forbidden Colors is that it, as a plot, was largely stolen from Dicken's Great Expectations; obviously from a different perspective (Pip is the centre of the Dicken's story, while Yuichi - Esther in Great Expectations- is the centre of Mishima's story) and Esther/Yuichi inhabit different social/sexual circles.
                            Are you reading it in Japanese? I would be really impressed since Mishima's use of Kanji makes it difficult for young Japanese to read these days.
                            After you've finished, if you haven't read it already, I recommend 'Confessions Of A Mask' which is half autobiographical and deals a lot with trying to answer the question of what is male beauty?
                            I like Mishima and people only remember him for his politics and MacAlpine/McTojo stupid behaviour. As a writer I've read few better who deal with the philosophical ideas of beauty, truth and action; and for me, the limitations of the writer's craft in the big picture we call life.

Comment

• Originally posted by scipio
                              A great book Bacn,
                              The character of Yu Chan (Yuichi) is really well developed and poor Yasuko, his suffering wife, my heart bleeds for her.
                              Mishima gives male gay love a kind of beauty and aesthetic which is not found in any other literature of the same genre.
                              A definite read for Clownpuncher.
                              My only criticism of Forbidden Colors is that it, as a plot, was largely stolen from Dicken's Great Expectations; obviously from a different perspective (Pip is the centre of the Dicken's story, while Yuichi - Esther in Great Expectations- is the centre of Mishima's story) and Esther/Yuichi inhabit different social/sexual circles.
                              Are you reading it in Japanese? I would be really impressed since Mishima's use of Kanji makes it difficult for young Japanese to read these days.
                              After you've finished, if you haven't read it already, I recommend 'Confessions Of A Mask' which is half autobiographical and deals a lot with trying to answer the question of what is male beauty?
                              I like Mishima and people only remember him for his politics and MacAlpine/McTojo stupid behaviour. As a writer I've read few better who deal with the philosophical ideas of beauty, truth and action; and for me, the limitations of the writer's craft in the big picture we call life.
                              I must admit I have not read The Great Expectations, I have seen the movie only. To me Mishima's book reminds me of Liasons Dangereux (sp?) in the idea that people can exercise cruel influence and destroy other lives for egotistic purposes and can be entertained by causing misery to other human beings. I became interested in Mishima after watching the movie Spring Snow, it was a very beautiful and tragic love story and I was so much involved in Mishima's vision of love and what is worth to suffer and die for, that I decided to read some of his books. This book, Forbidden Colors, is dealing with the subject of the homsexualism in such a manner that I do not find it repulsive, it is disturbing but it is in the same time very beautiful and estetical, I agree with you, even when Mishima describes that Dionysian style gay party when men are dancing and sleeping unrestrained by any inhibition. All the characters are deep and I can understand them, I pity not only Yasuko and Yu-chan but even the evil Shunsuke because everybody is profoundly unhappy. Yesterday I read whole night, just could not take my eyes and mind off the book. Mishima's style is so beautiful elegant and the book has absorbed me completely. Thanks for recommending me The Confessions of the Mask, I am sure I will read it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Васи
                                Mishima's style is so beautiful elegant and the book has absorbed me completely. Thanks for recommending me The Confessions of the Mask, I am sure I will read it.
                                Totally agree,
                                would put him up there with the greats of the twentieth century. Unfortunately most educated japanese feel a certain discomfort with the issues of his politics and actions in Ichigaya (young japanese are just ablank who the guy is) that they would rather not talk about him.
                                It's left to the extreme right and idiots like that Macalpine who writes on here to take up his mantle.
                                Hardly a recipe for international success!!!

If I can be so humble as to offer one more recommendation, 'The Sea Of Fertility, A Cycle Of Four Novels' is brilliant by Mishima. Avoid 'Runaway Horses' which starts brilliantly but Mishima loses interest half way thru and ends like a Balzac novel.
                                Last edited by scipio; 2006-06-17, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X