Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Funny Japanese mistakes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Funny Japanese mistakes

    I thought I'd share a funny Japanese language mistake I made years ago...

    I would sometimes go into KFC and order a Chicken Burger, however, I was pronouncing it wrongly, "Chikan baagaa" until one day I actually pronouced it correctly, "Chikin baagaa". However, the arubaito guy who had served me a few times before said "Chikin baagaa desu ne? Chikan baagaa ja nai desu yo ne?", which made another arubaito girl standing near by burst out in laughter.

    I couldn't work out what the joke was until I checked the word 'chikan' my dictionary at home!

  • #2
    Funny.

    I got the words 人参(にんじん)and 妊娠(にんしん)mixed up one day. The woman became a carrot rather than pregnant!

    Comment


    • #3
      I've confidently proclaimed my friend to be a carrot (ninjin) instead of being pregnant (ninshin) too. The two words I confuse the most though are vacuum cleaner (sojiki) and funeral (soshiki), with often embarrassing results.

      Comment


      • #4
        I get carrots and people mixed up when I hear 人身 in 人身事故

        Comment


        • #5
          Once got 公文(kumon) and 肛門(koumon) mixed up with funny results.

          Kumon is an after school type program and koumon means anus!

          Comment


          • #6
            Carrots!

            Originally posted by J.T不死身
            Funny.

            I got the words 人参(にんじん)and 妊娠(にんしん)mixed up one day. The woman became a carrot rather than pregnant!

            Yes, us Gaijins usually do the carrot mistake!

            I once heard of someone getting angry at people on the train when he realized that they were staring at him. Apparently he meant to say, "I'm not an animal, I'm a human being!" (私は動物じゃない、人間(にんげん)です!) , but it came out as, "I'm not an animal, I'm a carrot!(私は動物じゃない、ニンジンです!).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by J.T不死身
              Once got 公文(kumon) and 肛門(koumon) mixed up with funny results.

              Kumon is an after school type program and koumon means anus!
              公文 definately looks as though it should be pronounced koumon; thanks for the warning!

              Comment


              • #8
                tend to mixed up these kind of words...sometimes still..

                すっきり and すっかり
                煙 (けむり) and 曇り (くもり)--cloudy and smokey..almost the same image, right ? least for me..

                this might not be categorized as "japanese mistakes"..but when I went out to search for wedding ring w my husband, I kept forgotting to address the ring in japanese...cos 'ring' in my native language would mean 'pen*s' in japanese...and we hardly spoke japanese at that time..

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Time22
                  tend to mixed up these kind of words...sometimes still..

                  すっきり and すっかり
                  煙 (けむり) and 曇り (くもり)--cloudy and smokey..almost the same image, right ? least for me..

                  this might not be categorized as "japanese mistakes"..but when I went out to search for wedding ring w my husband, I kept forgotting to address the ring in japanese...cos 'ring' in my native language would mean 'pen*s' in japanese...and we hardly spoke japanese at that time..

                  That reminds me when I was discussing out loud on the train to my (Japanese) wife about which bike I would want whilst pointing to pictures in a booklet... I was using the Japanese word ちゃりんこ but somehow my tongue got stuck so that the "ゃり" in "ちゃりんこ" didn't come out

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When customizing my burger I used to always proclaim that they should make it "tamanegi nugi de" instead of nuki de.

                    Nugi de means to get nude. Nuki is to remove.

                    Sometimes I'd get the word for onion wrong as well and proclaim "tamago nugi de", which sounds like "get your gear off my little egg"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Bluedog
                      When customizing my burger I used to always proclaim that they should make it "tamanegi nugi de" instead of nuki de.

                      Nugi de means to get nude. Nuki is to remove.

                      Sometimes I'd get the word for onion wrong as well and proclaim "tamago nugi de", which sounds like "get your gear off my little egg"
                      Sounds like sexual harrassment to me

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Since1990
                        That reminds me when I was discussing out loud on the train to my (Japanese) wife about which bike I would want whilst pointing to pictures in a booklet... I was using the Japanese word ちゃりんこ but somehow my tongue got stuck so that the "ゃり" in "ちゃりんこ" didn't come out
                        hehehe...

                        it's like when i'm trying to say あたたかくない。。 always slipped..how many た is there ??

                        additional info....in my native language..'bowl' would mean 'vag!na' in japanese geez...I really should quit using this language in japan..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Time22
                          hehehe...

                          it's like when i'm trying to say あたたかくない。。 always slipped..how many た is there ??
                          I just add an extra た to make sure!

                          If you are familiar with Tokyo, there is a place called Takadanobaba(高田馬場), but I just add an extra 'ba' to make "Takadanobababa" and be done with it!

                          Originally posted by Time22
                          additional info....in my native language..'bowl' would mean 'vag!na' in japanese geez...I really should quit using this language in japan..
                          Oh dear, that would definitely cause you to go . Is you native language Portugese or Spanish or Italian??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Since1990
                            ....

                            Oh dear, that would definitely cause you to go . Is you native language Portugese or Spanish or Italian??
                            インドネシア語 

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Time22
                              インドネシア語 
                              インドネシア語! I only know the word Nasi goren (fried rice)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X