Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Buying books in English online from Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying books in English online from Japan

I buy 90% of my books from half.com.
    They don't ship or do any business with Japan.

As I move back to Japan, where will I buy my books?
    Ok, there are Junkudo and Kinokunia, but what are the options online...?

How much is shipping from the US? How long does it take?
    Can you buy used books?
    Please enlighten me!

Originally posted by shuinsen View Post

Can you buy used books?
    Please enlighten me!
    Amazon.com sends me stuff all the time. Yes, there is a high shipping cost.
    Amazon Japan may be cheaper for you.

Comment

Can you buy used books?
      Please enlighten me!
      Use Amazon.co.jp

Comment

I use the Amazon UK site and it is fine for me. Exchange rate means the costs of the books/DVDs are much cheaper than before as well. Books usually come in under a week..

Unfortunately, Amazon Japan doesn't stock most of the stuff that I want.

Comment

For most titles, I find that ordering from Amazon-US is less expensive than Amazon JP, even with the shipping charge. It usually takes a week or two.

Comment

Can you buy used books?
            Please enlighten me!
            Tower Records in Shibuya has a big English book section.

For used books (you can trade in old stuff for store credit, too) go to Good Day Books in Ebisu.

http://www.gooddaybooks.com/gooddayb...nguage=english

Comment

I stopped using US Amazon a few years ago. With this strong yen maybe it's time to reconsider US Amazon again. Amazon jp will get you anything you want and bring it over but it might be slow, most stuff comes right away though.

Comment

Originally posted by tanako View Post
                For most titles, I find that ordering from Amazon-US is less expensive than Amazon JP, even with the shipping charge.
                I haven't found that to be the case at all.

Comment

Or, you can try Barnes & Noble. I bought books and DVDs from B&N USA's web site.

Comment

Getting some mixed advice there, aren't we? I used the Japanese Amazon for my first year there, then ordered a few books from the American site. Basically, you should open two windows and compare prices. Amazon.co.jp usually adds a bit (Y200-500/$2-5) per book. If you are buying a few books at once, you may find it cheaper to pay the shipping from the States. Plus, check the shipping time on the Japanese site. I have seen English books listed as taking 3-5 weeks to ship. The American Amazon will isually get books to Japan in about 2 weeks, as others have posted. Again, open 2 windows and compare.

Comment

There are physical bookshops like Maruzen and Sanseido which have a good selection of general English books. You can walk in and look around, it's great

Depends how obscure the books you want to read are, but if you are looking for popular fiction/non-fiction you will probably be fine around any decent sized city. There are quirky second hand book-shops about too, and libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by steki47 View Post
                        Getting some mixed advice there, aren't we? I used the Japanese Amazon for my first year there, then ordered a few books from the American site. Basically, you should open two windows and compare prices. Amazon.co.jp usually adds a bit (Y200-500/$2-5) per book. If you are buying a few books at once, you may find it cheaper to pay the shipping from the States. Plus, check the shipping time on the Japanese site. I have seen English books listed as taking 3-5 weeks to ship. The American Amazon will isually get books to Japan in about 2 weeks, as others have posted. Again, open 2 windows and compare.
                        How much does Amazon charge to ship to Japan? I've never had them send anything to my Japan address (Japan or US versions of Amazon.)

Comment

I have to say that I am very satisfied with Amazon UK. I just ordered some DVD's from them, and the shipping charge is 5 quid to Japan. That is by airmail. If you keep checking on products you often see big discounts coming up. What was 80 pounds a few weeks ago, is now 38 pounds...

Comment

Originally posted by sunsoul View Post
                            I have to say that I am very satisfied with Amazon UK. I just ordered some DVD's from them, and the shipping charge is 5 quid to Japan. That is by airmail. If you keep checking on products you often see big discounts coming up. What was 80 pounds a few weeks ago, is now 38 pounds...
                            That's not bad. I'll consider ordering from them in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Wonky View Post
                              How much does Amazon charge to ship to Japan? I've never had them send anything to my Japan address (Japan or US versions of Amazon.)
                              I just bought about 6 books from B&N USA. It was about USD 60 for shipping. So, I think Amazon USA would charge you around that amount.

Comment

Working...
                              X