Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Is there any point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any point?

To taking the JLPT Level 4 test? Just curious?

Originally posted by nawlinsgurl View Post
    Sure. People love papered knowledge. Instead of "Beginners level" or such your resume could drop names. Official names. Even if the 4 equals to very little doesn't mean everyone knows about it.

Comment

Originally posted by nawlinsgurl View Post
      yup making some money...oh, wait you mean for the people taking it, nah.

Comment

Is there any point to taking the JLPT Level 4?
        If you like taking tests. Personally, it seems like a waste of time and money to me.

As an actual gauge of language ability, Level 2 is probably where to start. Although, if I were an employer screening resumes and language ability mattered, I don't think I'd give anything less than Level 1 a second look.

Comment

Originally posted by shu View Post
          If you like taking tests. Personally, it seems like a waste of time and money to me.

As an actual gauge of language ability, Level 2 is probably where to start. Although, if I were an employer screening resumes and language ability mattered, I don't think I'd give anything less than Level 1 a second look.

as a sign of language ability none.

however... in your cv... do you prefer to see "japanese: beginner" or, "japanese; beginner. JLPT4 passed."

i guess i would go for it, just for the experience, see how it is )if later on you go for 2)... and eventually, add
          something to your cv...

Comment

Just trying something out...

echo!!!

Comment

On the positive side it sounds nice on a CV, already mentionned, I will add to give you a sense of achievement.
              Have a target for the day, a target for the week,
              accomplished?
              -> set the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by davai.davai
                On the positive side it sounds nice on a CV ...
                Originally posted by jj-peasuke View Post
                as a sign of language ability none.

however... in your cv... do you prefer to see "japanese: beginner" or, "japanese; beginner. JLPT4 passed."
                Personally, I wouldn't put either of those on my resume.

When coming from someone who is (or has had experience) living in Japan, "Japanese: Beginner" and "Japanese: Beginner JLPT4 passed" both sound equally lame.

Imagine reading a resume with "Bicycle Skills: Beginner/Training Wheels passed." Or "Shoelaces: Can tie."
                Last edited by shu; 2009-07-31, 11:50 AM.

Comment

If one is applying in for jobs in Japan, "Japanese: Beginner" and "Japanese: Beginner JLPT4 passed" both sound equally lame.

Imagine reading a resume with "Bicycle Skills: Beginner/Training Wheels passed." Or "Shoelaces: Can tie."
                  i still can't tie my laces, what should i do??? is there a test i can take?

Comment

Originally posted by Akuma View Post
                    i still can't tie my laces, what should i do??? is there a test i can take?
                    Yes. It's the SLPT Level 4. When you pass, be sure to add it to your resume.

Comment

Is that why business men dont wear sneakers?

Comment

If one is applying in for jobs in Japan, "Japanese: Beginner" and "Japanese: Beginner JLPT4 passed" both sound equally lame.

Given that the test has little value other than practice taking the test in a real environment, why don't you think about the associated costs:

Application fee: 500 yen

Test fee: 5500 yen

Photo fee: 700 yen

Mailing fees: about 300-400 yen

Cost of JLPT 4 study materials: ? 2000-4000 + yen (up to you)

Transport to/from test: ~1000 yen

Comment

shu,
                          you may have a point about submitting a CV in Japan,
                          but an application abroad mentioning it in the "Other Interests" section can do no harm, quite the opposite, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by davai.davai View Post
                            shu,
                            you may have a point about submitting a CV in Japan,
                            but an application abroad mentioning it in the "Other Interests" section can do no harm, quite the opposite, IMO.
                            You could be right about the "Other Interests/Hobbies" section. However, if I were an employer (and knowing what I do about lazy ex-pats), I'd probably follow up on it.

For example, if someone thought enough of his language ability to note "Basic Japanese" on his resume, I'd probably check to see how long he'd lived in Japan. If the answer was more than a year or two, I'd probably think worse of him for the fact that "Basic Japanese" was as far as he got.

But maybe that's just me.

Comment

shu,
                              as low as the bar is for jlpt 4 is, it's a bit naive to think employers here aren't naive. Seeing how most of you here teach I'm sure most of you would know some about the national obsessions with test. No matter how mundate. It apparently shows some efforts. To ____ around: I could put bullfighting as "beginner" on my resume, or anything I like. With a test behind me it somehow seems more appropriate to put on paper.

So

For you and me, taking any test that low is a waste of time (and by that calculation in this thread: also money).
                              But you have to assume op's asking if there is a point in taking the test here to later apply for a....

....wait a minute. This is the learning Japanese section. Not working here.

I would like to retract my previous statements and post.

Comment

Working...
                              X