Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Problems with Japanese learning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Japanese learning

I miss japan...
    And i miss the opportunites to hear, speak, learn amd absorb japanese.
    Last edited by Coraline; 2011-04-14, 02:30 AM.

The classics are the "Mina no Nihongo" series.
    There are a lot of Japanese teachers outside Japan that teach at university that suck sh**! I had two professors- the first was horrid and the second was great! Both Japanese people with "native" language abilities, but one tried to create classes that were good and the other just talked about meaningless "Japanese culture" like who takes the bath first in the family.
    If you feel that your professor is that bad, then talk to her. Or if you are afraid, then talk to the head of the department and tell him/her that the professor is not clear and no one is progressing.

Comment

Holy Moly, C-train!

Can't you all complain about this new "teacher" collectively and get a new one? Sheesh! She's gonna spoil/ruin it for all of you. If I were you I'd be at the dean's office after every lesson with complaints and examples of her incompetence. You don't have to take that crap, you know. You pay good money. Tell 'm!

Comment

Also, this guy might be on to something....

http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...rt.fm-is-great

Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Westen View Post
          Holy Moly, C-train!

Can't you all complain about this new "teacher" collectively and get a new one? Sheesh! She's gonna spoil/ruin it for all of you. If I were you I'd be at the dean's office after every lesson with complaints and examples of her incompetence. You don't have to take that crap, you know. You pay good money. Tell 'm!
          yea yea, i am going to give her a bad (honest) review when its feedback time.

But no, not really, she is the topic/subject/course/japanese 2a coordinator, she hardly speaks english even though she's been in australia for 10 years or something stupid, when i asked her if we could do the first excercise together as a class today so we could figure out how it should be done, she said, we're doing it together, in pairs.
          I was getting a bit frustrated i must admit.... *sigh*
          what do you even say to that?
          Everyone ended up asking the same question i had anyway, so she had to explain it to everyone seperately.
          Silly.
          p.s. thanks for linking the smart fm link, its really interesting, hopefully it will help with my kanji practice.
          'Scuse the horrible english and spelling today, i had both spanish and japanese lessons so its all a bit messy in my head again
          Last edited by Coraline; 2010-05-18, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Passion

You guys are on the ~tara form? It's still pretty basic, and there's a lot of material out there for free on the internet you could check out if you wanted extra practice. I think Japanese is probably the easiest language to find resources for on the Internet because everyone wants to learn it. Heck, you could just go searching for videos on Youtube and you'll learn more stuff in a day than you ever would in class.

That's kind of how I rekindled my passion for all things Japanese. I liked JPOP and J-drama so much I kept watching and listening. Everytime I ran into stuff I didn't get, I'd look it up. Eventually, I got the hang of stuff and was kicking butt in my classes -- people were like "WTF? How did you get an A on that last exam??"

If you don't already have Japanese input on your computer, get it. Here's a link: http://blog.greggman.com/blog/japane...on_windows_xp/

Also here are some good sites to check out -- aren't I so nice

- Japanese/English Directory: http://dict.pspinc.com/
            - Japanese Language Overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_language
            - Japanese Language Lessons: http://www.japanesepod101.com/
            - Youtube: How to Speak Japanese without saying a word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_RM8To5mjU

Comment

No one is getting over 65% in the class at the moment, and for a recent test we had no one got more than 11/16.
              Is this because she is marking you down or that the material presented in the tests is something you haven't studied?

Basically I think her teaching methods are pretty crappy, and Ifm feeling really disillusioned with learning Japanese at the moment not to mention that Ifm not retaining much of anything and my GPA is slipping because of this class, oh and the fact that I donft feel really prepared to take the exam in 5 weeks.
              So I suppose Ifm asking you, someone, anyone, wherefs a good place to get stuff explained to me in greater detail on the internet.
              Tae Kim's grammar guide and forum would be a great place to start.

How can I find my passion for Japanese language again, because at the moment, the 1.5hr classes are like torture. I HATE them. The teacher before this one explained things succinctly and answered any queries we had, as well as using a variety of mediums to teach us.
              We're lucky with the current teacher to get a transparency, and a whole lot of droning. Its really frustrating.
              If you have the opportunity to contact the previous teacher and ask their advice they may be able to recommend materials that are located in your university.

Other than that the best choice would be to learn as much as you can by yourself without waiting for the teacher.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the replies guys, been really helpful.
                I feel much better after reading what you have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiki View Post
                  Tae Kim's grammar guide and forum would be a great place to start.
                  This site was a great help to me.

Here is the link:
                  http://www.guidetojapanese.org/

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Well, thanks to all you guys, and your tips and advice, todays lesson wasnt a complete waste of time, and i learnt how to use ~tara properly.

So thanks heaps again!!

Hopefully this attitude adjustment will last for the rest of the semester and i will pass with flying colours.

Comment

My experience with college is that if a lot of students start dropping out of a class or complain, the school will sometimes take note... but don't complain solo because some schools might be insensitive and say that YOU complained and the teacher will have it out for you personally... If its a whole bunch of students and you have a list of specific complaints, the school might advise the teacher on the points that "the students" have. - - You have to be careful about complaining directly to a teacher... especially if the teacher has a BIG EGO (i.e. loves failing students) or a LOW SELF ESTEEM (i.e. is wacko and is teaching because he or she can't survive in the real world.)

One trick: Try recording the lesson. Have someone who's Japanese is way above yours listen to the tape. Does he or she think the teacher is being a good communicator...? Is it that the course material is too difficult for THE CLASS, or is the teacher's style of teaching inappropriate. Try to be as specific as possible if you complain... don't make it personal and use the word "we" a lot.

If a group of students aren't willing to complain jointly... be careful... sometimes students will set up a peer to do the complaining but will play goodie two shoes... you don't want to put yourself in that situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Coraline
                          This teacher hasnt even given us a past exam paper for ____sake.
                          With this attitude, good riddance.

Are you by any chance a high school student?

Comment

Originally posted by Trichophyton-in-my-pants View Post
                            With this attitude, good riddance.

Are you by any chance a high school student?
                            University student, but every japanese class i've ever had including in highschool we've had past exam papers for preparation given to us.
                            Its not an unreasonable request, in fact i've never had to ask before, they've always just been given.
                            I've had a multitude of teachers/tutors and been to two seperate highschools, one overseas, and STILL had past exam papers given for preparation..
                            you're right, its me with the attitude problem.

Comment

You're in your second year and just learning ~tara now? We learned it like halfway through the first semester when I took Japanese. Sounds like your first teacher wasn't so great after all and set you guys up for lowered expectations of your personal ability to learn a second language.

Comment

Working...
                              X