Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How do you study for the JLPT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you study for the JLPT?

I imagined that this thread would have already existed but I couldn't find it. So apologies if this is a second time.

Simple question - how do you study for the JLPT?

This could be a very beneficial thread for future reference so I'd like to ask any reply-ers to stick to the following format:
    This is my example:

Grammar
    - Nihongo So-Matome textbook
    - List up grammar points in quick reference format (I tried to attach an example but the file size limit is ridiculously small??)
    - Print copies of the list (with English explanations missing) and drill over and over

Kanji
    - iKanji app
    - KanjiBox app
    - Regrettable no writing practice whatsoever. I figure I'll get round to it once I pass N2

Vocab
    - Reading: currently One Piece (manga) and Harry Potter
    - KanjiBox app

Writing
    - Non existent (T^T)

Listening
    - I live and work in Japan. School/girlfriend/friends
    - I should watch more TV but I can't stand it

Ok, well, I've just started my study regime. I plan to take the December JLPT 2, but here's mine.

Grammar
    - New Approach Japanese Pre-Advanced Course
    - Read over the grammar points. Translate the grammar sentence examples into English and double-check with people online about translations I'm unsure of.
    - Load the Translated sentences into Anki and practice them daily by looking at my English translation and writing down the Japanese translation. Then I check the original Japanese to see if I got it right. I practice these until I can write the sentence construction and kanji confidently. The more sentences I memorize, the more I grasp the nuances of the grammar point.

Kanji
    -Anki (I see the English word and write down the kanji then check the answer)
    - Basic Kanji Book Vol. 2 review

Vocab
    - Anki
    - Reading Harry Potter as well. xD I love that book.

Writing
    - also non-existent apart from when I translate my grammar book's essays and sentences. :/ But I plan to start a daily Japanese blog, do some translation work for free, and also practice writing on Japanese forums and talking with Japanese online.

Listening (This is my worst one because although I live in Japan, I don't enjoy Japanese TV that much and I'm not big on anime or J-Pop/Rock.)
    - ondoku, overlapping, shadowing etc. for one hour every day with the Japanese New Approach Audio CD
    - found a couple of Japanese bands I like so I listen to those when I'm out and about and try and repeat the words (surreptitiously of course because I don't want to look like a weirdo)
    - try and watch Japanese TV in downtime
    - I'm having some time to myself for a while, so not socializing much, but I'll go out with Japanese friends now and then
    - forbid myself from listening to English music or watching English TV. Total immersion technique (apart from reading English on the internet)
    - listening to and shadowing podcasts

Overall, I'm putting in about 6 hours a day. I'm wondering how to increase it, but I have other commitments. I wish I could live 5 times over to learn all the things I want to.

Comment

For grammar, I wrote each point on cards, with the the English on the back, including a sample sentence.
      I'd shuffle the cards when testing myself.

For listening, NHK radio G, the general AM service, for news, interviews, etc. I never found TV very useful. Talk radio really puts your ears to work.

Comment

I read Shinigami Ballad, Hikaru no go, Deathnote and a pocket-sized Japanese to English dictionary, then I found this lime green intermediate Japanese workbook at a bookstore. Seriously.

Comment

Hey Koenji - is NHK Radio G nationwide? By any chance do you know the frequency?

Comment

If you get a chance, do the practice exam on the JLPT website: http://www.jlpt.jp/e/samples/sample12.html
            Print it out and set aside a the specified 3hr block to complete it. Download the audio files, have them in a playlist and do everything according to the clock

Biggest shock for me was the reading section, 21 questions out of 75 in the first 105minute block, makes up one third of your entire score. I got lulled into a false sense of security because i finished the first 54 questions fairly quickly and started thinking "oh only 21 questions left". The reading sections are LONG and i felt they were much more difficult than i was anticipating (I can generally read news articles/magazines etc, but unfortunately i dont like manga)

Doing the practice exam gave me a plan how to structure my time for the real-deal on Sunday though.

Other than that, my study plan: Living in Japan and absorbing the world around me. Hopefully that will be enough

Comment

Originally posted by yojax View Post
              Hey Koenji - is NHK Radio G nationwide? By any chance do you know the frequency?
              Yes it is. It's a great resource and it's free! (Just avoid the baseball games and Diet deliberations.) Here are the frequencies
              http://www.nhk.or.jp/r1/amradio/

Here is the website
              http://www.nhk.or.jp/r1/

Comment

I should add that it's "radio No. 1" that you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Koenji View Post
                  Yes it is. It's a great resource and it's free! (Just avoid the baseball games and Diet deliberations.) Here are the frequencies
                  http://www.nhk.or.jp/r1/amradio/

Here is the website
                  http://www.nhk.or.jp/r1/
                  Thanks Koenji! I'll definitely check this out

Comment

Originally posted by yojax View Post
                    Simple question - how do you study for the JLPT?
                    Kanji
                    - iKanji app
                    - KanjiBox app
                    Vocab
                    - KanjiBox app
                    For both kanji and vocab, I would highly recommend the StickyStudy app too.
                    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stic...385898687?mt=8

You can set up the flash cards to your preference and it includes good tracking for your progress. The developer is thankfully very active on updates and adding new features.

The N5 only version is free, if you'd prefer to test drive it first...
                    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/stic...429180707?mt=8

Comment

I should've read some more...読解 was a _____

Comment

Ditto. But in my case I knew what to expect with 読解 so i skipped ahead and did that section first. Took my time on it and think i did ok.
                        Vocab and Kanji threw me a curveball with so many words/kanji i hadnt seen before. Much more than the practice test.

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I'm in a bind here, and I wonder if you guys might have some input on this. So I just got out of a little summer course of japanese, and I want to keep studying on my own.
                          So to keep it short, how do you go on about this, having in sight the JLPT exams? I wish to self learn Japanese, as I'm not rich for private classes, nor do I endure the classroom rythm of teaching, which is slower to everyone. I'm still young, and intend to work to Japan later in my life, so I have like 3, 4 years to learn good Japanese.

So far I know a little grammar from N5 level...
                          Kanji
                          -I already know the kanji required for N5, used some iPhone apps.
                          Vocab
                          - I note every new word I come about, but I heard Anki is pretty good with this. How is it? Is vocab integrated in context, or single ones?
                          Writing
                          - I plan on using Lang8 website, when my skills deepen;
                          Reading
                          -I plan on reading manga, and a bunch of random info here and there from news portals...
                          Listening
                          -So far, my listening exercises consist of anime and JRock.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                          X