Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Am I too tall for Japanese girls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too tall for Japanese girls?

I'm 203 cm (6'8'') European who might be living in Japan for a year of studies. My English isn't fantastic but I think it's okay and I have no exclusive accent (such as British). I heard that it's fine to be tall but I'm huge so girls may freak out.
    Am I too tall for Japan?
    What's my attractiveness based on what I wrote?

Originally posted by Periklis View Post
    I'm 203 cm (6'8'') European who might be living in Japan for a year of studies. My English isn't fantastic but I think it's okay and I have no exclusive accent (such as British). I heard that it's fine to be tall but I'm huge so girls may freak out.
    Am I too tall for Japan?
    You'll be fine. J-girls like everything tall.

Comment

Originally posted by ttokyo View Post
      You'll be fine. J-girls like everything tall.
      2 effin meters? wow! Are you Dutch? heh

Nah dont worry about it, Ive seen a LOT of tall guys with tiny Japanese girls, you'll be fine

Comment

You're definitely not my type, but if you join a local volleyball or basketball club you will have unfettered access to a niche market that scares away even most of us.

Comment

Too tall for a Japanese woman? No way. Too tall for a Japanese man....yup! :-P

Comment

You must be Dutch, haha..

To answer your question; there are plenty of "taller" Japanese women (and by the that I mean taller than the average) that are dying to find a man that's taller than them. As they have very little chance finding someone, as the average Japanese male is barely taller to begin with, they would jump at the opportunity (or you).

I'm almost 2 meters. (197cm) and I have a girlfriend. She's tiny. You have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Is there a problem with having a girlfriend who only comes up to your belt buckle when she's standing?

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                You're definitely not my type, but if you join a local volleyball or basketball club you will have unfettered access to a niche market that scares away even most of us.
                Ladies and gentlemen, *this* is genius.

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                Is there a problem with having a girlfriend who only comes up to your belt buckle when she's standing?
                Aside from the belt slapping her in the face when you open it? Nothing!

Gotta go join the local volleyball club now. Laters!

Comment

Am I too tall for Japan?
                  Your height is not going to be a problem with the women, but that is not to say it is not going to be a problem in just about everything else. Enjoy banging your head over and over! And finding shoes that fit... well, let's just say good luck on that front.

Many a thing in Japan at 192cm was a pain, often literally, for Uncle Agitator. I can't even imagine what it would be like at 200+.

Sympathetically,
                  A.

Comment

I'm sure a lot will but just as many will dig that you're so tall.

In the Kanto area gaijins aren't anything special and haven't been for a long time.

But you my friend, well...you'll turn a few heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Style View Post
                      Is there a problem with having a girl who only comes up to your belt buckle when she's standing?
                      Only if you are her uncle.

Comment

Am I too tall for Japan?
                        That...that....that...

Is giant size in Asia..

Kinda like this couple..?

http://joreen95.wordpress.com/2011/0...-yaguchi-mari/
                        Last edited by Shiratama Dango; 2013-09-02, 10:59 PM. Reason: Broken link

Comment

So it seems I would get lots of attention in general. The question is If I could put up with it because the country I live in people ignore my height 70% of the time. But sometimes it happens that I hang out with 15 people who are 20 cm shorter and it really makes it hard for me to talk to them while standing especially If the music is near (kinda sucks even in Europe so I imagine Asia..) I remember talking to one extraordinary dude who's like 215 cm so I know how it feels, I was a little terrified

Comment

Relax. Compared to me (6'10") you're a freaking dwarf. Ok, so maybe a tall dwarf. But in all seriousness, unless you happen to look like the elephant man you will do fine. Rating your attractiveness is impossible. But let's go with 67. Because I have no idea. So that sounds about right.

Also, Japan is a whole lot better for tall people than a lot of other asian nations. The people who complain about banging their heads here have never had to spend extensive amounts of time in rural China or India I would guess. On the other hand, once you are over 2 meters the stuff that might be troublesome for someone just over 190 cm is immediately obvious. Being in the US/UK/Scandinavia is much worse since a lot of door posts and other crap is just above eye level which means it's easy as ____ to walk straight into.

Not so in Japan.

Anyway. Relax, have fun and just be open and fun about it. People WILL comment. They WILL look. It WILL be different than back home. No worries.

Comment

Funny thing happened today. I met a Chinese exchange student who was amazed by my height and took a photo with me. She wasn't very small either so I guess she must be new to Europe

Comment

Working...
                              X