Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Marriage in Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage in Japan

Hi All,

So, I am entering Japan on a tourist Visa and I am getting married to my fiance (Japanese), I will live with him in Japan for a couple of years before we head back to Australia. I would just love to hear of other foreign wife's living in Japan and your stories. As an Australian was it hard getting married in Japan? As I am entering on a tourist visa; is it easy to change your visa status in Japan?

Would love to hear all stories!

Not a foreign wife, but from what friends are telling me, the real problem will be when you try to go back to Australia. One of my friends took 22 months to approve his marriage visa (had to come and go on 3 month tourist visas during that time), and not to mention the $5000ish in application fees

Comment

So, he is Japanese and it took him 22 months to be able to enter Australia?

Comment

That reply from TD kind of sounds silly to me. You can get married here while on a tourist visa and you can get your status changed to a spouse of a Japanese citizen. As for him entering Australia, if you have registered your marriage with the Australian embassy and have all your paperwork in order, then there should be no reason for Australia to deny your husband entry. Just make sure that you apply for his visa early ! But of course everything can change now that Australia has a new government !

Comment

Changing your tourist visa to a permanent resident visa is not a problem if you have all your documents together when you go in and apply. It took me 2-hours to complete the entire process in Sendai a couple years back as a U.S citizen. Sorry don't know about going the other way.

Comment

Marry him in Japan.

Get an application for his permanent visa from the Aust. embassy. Fill it out accurately and comply with all directions, including police check and health check.

You will then be granted a bridging visa (801), followed by a permanent visa (820) about 2 years later, once Aust. Immigration has established that the marriage is genuine. Both visas are combined in the one application and fee (currently AUD 3795).

I know this because I've been through the same thing, earlier this year. Good luck.

Comment

Marry him in Japan.

Get an application for his permanent visa from the Aust. embassy. Fill it out accurately and comply with all directions, including police check and health check.

You will then be granted a bridging visa (801), followed by a permanent visa (820) about 2 years later, once Aust. Immigration has established that the marriage is genuine. Both visas are combined in the one application and fee (currently AUD 3975).

I know this because I've been through the same thing, earlier this year. Good luck.

Comment

Oxymoron; i will have to ask my friend again what happened in his case. For him (Taiwanese born Aust citizen) and his Japanese wife, the bridging visa didnt come until 22 months after they applied. Another friend with a Japanese wife got their bridging visa after 15 months.

The immigration departments' own site says 6-8 months (http://www.immi.gov.au/about/charter.../visas/5.0.htm), but online forums suggest at least double that (http://www.australiaforum.com/visas-...isa-820-a.html).

Seems like you got lucky?

Anyway, none of that problem here in Japan luckily, marriage visas are approved quite promptly, and for MUCH less money.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for all your feed back! We plan to live in Japan for a couple of years anyway, so even if it does take 22 months that is not a problem with us. We are in no rush.
                  Also, congratulations to Oxymoron!

Comment

Working...
                  X