Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Japanese are partial, not racist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese are partial, not racist

Let me break this sh!t down. Japanese people are not racist. They do not "hate" other races. Nor do they believe they have the right to rule others and that their race is superior. Racist people do, Japanese people do not.
    But they ARE PARTIAL "biased or prejudiced in favor of a person, group, side, etc.,"
    This is Japan. 99.99999999% of the population is Japanese. They take care of their own first, non-Japanese are second. Thus, they do indeed "discriminate" against non-japanese. In the work place, in the government, etc.. it is tough for a gaijin at times. But the reality is that America, the UK, and other areas are of mixed population. Specifically America. My country is FOUNDED on freedom. At least that is what the Constitution says.. hahaha. But the point is, America says equality for all. ANYONE can become American. All Americans are EQUAL (or should be). If you are an American in America you come first, non-Americans come second.

Same as Japan. If you are Japanese you come first. Non-Japanese come second. Problem is, to become Japanese in not a simple matter. You need to be born japanese or be 1/2 japanese. Hell, even non-japanese parents who live in japan but raise their half japanese kids in japan will never be japanese citizens. Sure, they can become perm residents but never citizens.
    EDIT (Feb 11, 2008): Yes, a gaijin CAN become a japanese citizen but they make it dam near impossible. Japan wants japanese citizens to have japanese blood. But it like, how the fcuk you think japanese even came into existence? Japanese are a mix of chinese and Ainu. Every dam race that exists today is a mix of SOME sh!t from SOMEWHERE. That is evolution of humanity. Problem is, japan is trying to fight the evolution.

In America you can become a citizen if you are from fcukin bum flock Egypt. And if you become an American citizen you will get all rights any American will under law. Therein is the difference between Japan and America/UK/Australia. Japan is mono-race. Others are not. But citizens in all countries get special treatment. It is the citizen who is shown partiality, not the race of the person of the color of their skin. Problem is, Japanese citizens are all japanese! hahahaha
    Last edited by CaliPIMP.; 2008-02-11, 09:42 PM.

You CAN become a naturalized Japanese citizen even if you're not Japanese, but it's not easy.

other than that you make a pretty good point.

Comment

Japanese people are great to non-Japanese. I find that they help me out all the time and if you are fluent in Japanese they treat you just like one of their own. I know a number of people that are Japanese citizens but were not born as such. They are treated just the same as everyone else. I teach in public Jr High School and there are a lot of half Japanese and non-Japanese kids. They are treated just the same as the Japanese.
      Maybe YOU think that Japanese people are partial to themselves because you can't get a tangible Japanese sentence out of your mouth, but if you COULD then you would find that you are treated the same as other Japanese. Also, your connection to "real" Japanese culture is probably based on some BS sociology book that some fool (that also can bearly speak Japanese) wrote. If you can't talk to the people then you don't really know what's going on.
      I use to think like you, but then my Japanese got much better and my perspective changed completely.
      If there is any bias (and I am not saying there there isn't some in a small part of the population)it is surely not nearly as severe as in Europe and Noth America.

Comment

Originally posted by nynapaj
        I find that they help me out all the time and if you are fluent in Japanese they treat you just like one of their own.

<snip>

If there is any bias (and I am not saying there there isn't some in a small part of the population)it is surely not nearly as severe as in Europe and Noth America.
        I smell a troll!

Or at least someone so stupid as to be offically classed as more chimp than human.

Claiming outsiders can be accepted into Japan and treated as a Japanese is just flat out wrong from everything I've seen or heard, including lifers who've been here 30 or 40 years, are married to Japanese, have Japanese kids, speak better Japanese than most Japanese... etc etc.

Bottom line is: If you don't look Japanese, you ain't Japanese. The same can't be said in the USA or Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaijin 06
          I smell a troll!

Or at least someone so stupid as to be offically classed as more chimp than human.

Claiming outsiders can be accepted into Japan and treated as a Japanese is just flat out wrong from everything I've seen or heard, including lifers who've been here 30 or 40 years, are married to Japanese, have Japanese kids, speak better Japanese than most Japanese... etc etc.
          Lifers aren't always the best examples...some of them have been long-jaded, I've met total n00bs who picked up more Japanese and adapted better than many of the lifers I've met.

Bottom line is: If you don't look Japanese, you ain't Japanese. The same can't be said in the USA or Europe.
          Tell that to some Asians or Hispanics in certain parts of the US, or Muslims in certain parts of Europe, and see what they have to say about it.

Comment

Originally posted by the_pink_tako_yaki
            Lifers aren't always the best examples...some of them have been long-jaded, I've met total n00bs who picked up more Japanese and adapted better than many of the lifers I've met.

Tell that to some Asians or Hispanics in certain parts of the US, or Muslims in certain parts of Europe, and see what they have to say about it.
            There are exceptions to everything. Go to New York or London and compare them to Tokyo. There is simply no comparison.

I'm not just talking about lifers either - I'm not met a single gaijin who thinks they are fully accepted into Japan, or knows anyone integrated into Japanese society and accepted as Japanese.

This is in total contrast with my experiences in the UK and other countries. Japan really is unique in this respect.

Comment

I've known a few, but they were either born here or came here at a very young age, and don't have a weird attitude about trying to be too Japanese vs. keeping one's identity as a "gaijin." I think a lot of foreigners who move here when they're older obsess over that point too much which is why a lot of them may feel differently...they just overanalyze it to the point where it loses all meaning and use it as a justification for their own shortcomings or mistakes. For example, on one hand you get the people who are Japanese language freaks, they speak and read the language better than many natives and feel that this superior knowledge of Japanese will get them accepted into the culture and thsat other gaijin whose Japanese isn't good are somehow unworthy, then you get the exact opposite, people who from the very beginning pull the "I'm a gaijin and I'll never be accepted" line as an excuse for being lazy about learning the language or some cultural decency, and it seems like neither of those kinds of people end up very happy here. The one's I've seen who seem to end up the most comfortable are usually the ones who either didn't know what to expect coming to Japan, didn't know much about Japan or Japanese before coming here, but once they got here they just tried to absorb as much as they could, not freaking out over struggles and trying to have a good time while adapting to life here. I must say, I've met very few of these types but I do envy them, although they may be innocent or naive at times, they seem to exercise good judgement in not allowing other people's extreme negativity or flattery get to them too much.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliPIMP.
                Hey, you made an inteligent post, keep it up!

Two mistakes.

1- Foreigners represent about 1.22% of the population, not 0.00000001%

2- You can get naturalised. http://www.debito.org/naturalization.html
                So in Japan too it's possible to obtain your citizenship even ''if you are from fcukin bum flock Egypt''.

Comment

There are exceptions to everything. Go to New York or London and compare them to Tokyo. There is simply no comparison.
                  Very funny. Try being BLACK and getting a taxi in New York- YOU CAN'T.
                  Let me make my point again, because I think I didn't make it clear. IF you can particiapate in the culture as well as any Japanese, THEN you will be treated LIKE A JAPANESE. You will NOT be treated like you were in America or the UK or France, because those cultures are different. Japanese people do not treat other Japanese in the same way that Americans treat other Americans or Brits treat other Brits.
                  Are there things that happen to me that I think are rude? Yes. Do they do the same things to Japanese in the same situation? Yes.
                  Maybe my point is clearer now.

Comment

I'm not just talking about lifers either - I'm not met a single gaijin who thinks they are fully accepted into Japan, or knows anyone integrated into Japanese society and accepted as Japanese.

This is in total contrast with my experiences in the UK and other countries. Japan really is unique in this respect.
                    Have you spoken to a lot of Muslims, Asians and black people in New York and London then? And they all tell you that they feel "fully accepted" in a predominantly white society? No-one ever told you that they had suffered any racism whatsoever?

I am not sure what your exepriences are, but they are certainly not the experiences of some of the people I have spoken to.

Comment

Originally posted by nynapaj
                      Very funny. Try being BLACK and getting a taxi in New York- YOU CAN'T.
                      Let me make my point again, because I think I didn't make it clear. IF you can particiapate in the culture as well as any Japanese, THEN you will be treated LIKE A JAPANESE. You will NOT be treated like you were in America or the UK or France, because those cultures are different. Japanese people do not treat other Japanese in the same way that Americans treat other Americans or Brits treat other Brits.
                      Are there things that happen to me that I think are rude? Yes. Do they do the same things to Japanese in the same situation? Yes.
                      Maybe my point is clearer now.
                      Your point was clear before, I just totally disagree with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon
                        Have you spoken to a lot of Muslims, Asians and black people in New York and London then? And they all tell you that they feel "fully accepted" in a predominantly white society? No-one ever told you that they had suffered any racism whatsoever?
                        I didn't claim racism doesn't exist in London. But if you can't see the differences between London and Tokyo I really don't think it is worth arguing the point. I presume you've never actually been to London?

Here is a clue for you:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2...les/00BG-A.asp

You'll notice 1 in 10 people in England were born outside the UK, and in the area I lived 35% were born outside the UK. Have a think where you see this in Tokyo?

Or use the data for Inner London generally

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2...files/1B-A.asp

Here you can see 34% of the population of London originates from outside of the UK.

Go to London, stand on Oxford Street for ten minutes and you'll probably see 50 different nationalities walk by and hear conversations in 10 different languages.

Most Brits of my generation have grown up alongside Muslims kids and black kids, been to school & university together and remain friends to this day. There are plenty of second and third generation immigrant families whose children don't consider themselves Indian, Chinese, Saudi or Nigerian.. they consider themselves British because they are British.

This is nothing like Japan whatsoever.

Comment

To the posters who say, 'gosh, if you are a gaijin and act japanese and "Accept" the culture then they will take you and treat you as their own... or close to it'.... you are wrong. Why don't you move here and try to get a regular job with benefits and pension like a regular japanese person, it is near impossible.
                          Yes, technically you can become a citizen of Japan, but they make it near impossible. Sure, anyone can apply. You might as well play the lottery.

Comment

Some of the most racist things I've ever heard were said by Japanese about Chinese, Koreans, and South East Asians. And they were said in such a matter of fact manner it seemed almost like innocent ignorance.
                            Last edited by BillyT; 2008-02-11, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyT
                              Some of the most racist things I've ever heard were said by Japanese about Chinese, Koreans, and South East Asians. And they were said in such a matter of fact manner it seemed almost like innocent ignorance.

That is truth. Japanese think Chinese are dogs. Like how Americans view Mexicans. Strictly uneducated labor. Japanese DO have attitude. They DO think they are the "best" of the Asian races. Nothing wrong with being proud about what you are or where you are from. But dam.... Japanese people need to expand their thinking. Let's face it, this country is monorace. China is more mixed than Japan, Korea too. Japan KEEPS this dam country monorace. Well, things are changing. 50 years from now the younger more "westernized" japanese kids will be the ones running this country. Borders will open, borders will loosen.

Comment

Working...
                              X