Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

What's up with inferiority complex?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's up with inferiority complex?

Several years ago I used to date this J-girl who had weird outbursts of anger from time to time. When she got really frustrated she'd yell crap like:

"I'm just a yellow monkey!!!!!!!!"
    "I'm a germ!!!"
    "I hate Japan!!! I will never live here!!!!"

I later found out that she was a really crazy b1tch and that she was a total social misfit. Well, a lot of people are misfits so that's not a huge deal these days, but I still can't figure out why she hated on her own race and nationality. She was the only person like that that I've met, and I was FOB to Japan back then so I head no idea that a typical J-girl is nothing like that. Of course, she doesn't live in Japan these days (I think she relocated to some 3rd world country).

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

i have come across a few like that before

i usually stop talking to them within the first 15 minutes of meeting them if they look like they have serious confidence or racial identity issues

Comment

Not in violent outbursts but most of my friends have said similar things to me in their calm states. It's the norm to belittle oneself here...I do it too when speaking with Japanese people.

If someone tells you that you are beautiful, you are culturally expected (in the States) to say "thank you".
      If someone tells you that you are beautiful, you are culturally expected (in Japan) to say "no, I am ugly".

That's just how it is. I had a guy ask me if I was sure I wanted to date an ugly Japanese yellow monkey such as himself after I told him I liked him, once. It's pretty standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Boy View Post
        Several years ago I used to date this J-girl who had weird outbursts of anger from time to time. When she got really frustrated she'd yell crap like:

"I'm just a yellow monkey!!!!!!!!"
        "I'm a germ!!!"
        "I hate Japan!!! I will never live here!!!!"

I later found out that she was a really crazy b1tch and that she was a total social misfit. Well, a lot of people are misfits so that's not a huge deal these days, but I still can't figure out why she hated on her own race and nationality. She was the only person like that that I've met, and I was FOB to Japan back then so I head no idea that a typical J-girl is nothing like that. Of course, she doesn't live in Japan these days (I think she relocated to some 3rd world country).

I think I know this girl...

Comment

Several years ago I used to date this J-girl who had weird outbursts of anger from time to time.
          Good to see you got away from her...why are you bringing this up now 'years' later.?

Do you miss the Miss?

Comment

I get how claiming to be ugly is a cultural form of humility. But denigrating their entire nation and race with the "yellow monkey" doesn't seem to fit culturally. It does sound like a bit of inferiority.
            Last edited by gaijin ga iru; 2011-12-30, 04:06 AM.

Comment

"I'm a germ!"
              LOL

And another T-shirt is made...

Comment

I have heard it here and there. As a teacher I sometimes hear other teachers saying that they still need to learn more about education from the west because Western countries "have better education"... of course, these people have never been to any of these countries, so they are just BS.

I have met a few gaijin hunters that are like the girl the OP describes.
                Always be weary of Japanese women with yellow hair, no university education, but speak a foreign language really well...

Comment

Being that I like Japan and the culture as a whole I don't really like to hear people dissing their entire country/race either, but it's true that a lot of Japanese people wish they were born white. Just like a lot of Japanese people think Japanese is the pinnacle of race perfection. You have both extremes. But in general, yes, I do think a lot of Japanese people hate being Japanese and wish they were whites living overseas, but that's only because they actually think the movies illustrate real life the same way low-budget TV dramas in Japan look like your average neighborhood.

Once I had to tell a friend who was obsessed with going to such and such city because such and such show was filmed there that in all actuality the city didn't exist and that it was filmed on a built set inside the back lot of a movie studio. He was *crushed*.

Comment

Oh, the Chinese are thinking the same about Nanjing? For some reason I don't see the Chinese as feeling inferior to the Japanese.

Comment

Gaijinalways, Ameotoko probably doesn't know what the Japanese did in China and elsewhere before they were stopped on March 10, 1945. Hell, if they weren't stopped, maybe Japan would have literally raped all of the Philippines, all of Korea, Saipan, Samoa, Guam and more. Not just the occasional sexual deviant from the Allied forces raping a woman, but Platoon, Battalion and Regiment wide raping of all of the females in each conquered city, town, or farm.

Comment

Working...
                      X