Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

standing or sitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morning After, for your information I am quite experienced having been here for nearly 6 years. However, I have for a large part had the luxury of using my own car or motorbike to travel to work.

Do you live in Tokyo? I do not. Most places aren't really that crowded. And, if you read my original post properly, you would have noticed that I was refering to the increasing number of oldies taking up daytime seats, not the rush hour norm.

And yes, you are a perve.

Comment

Kids on Train

I`ve kids and can tell you that if you
      don`t look < 60 or frail , I`ll not get
      my kid to move .
      Don`t get me wrong ...sometimes I`ll put my
      kid on my lap so as to help people but if
      someone ask me to pick up the child and they
      look healthy/fit , I`ll ignore them .

THERE IS NO RULE for kids paying 50% to get up
      for other people .
      Respect for elderly i.e. Pensioners is a must
      but not for Salary men etc!!

I`ve got up with my kid for elderly people in crowded train and have my children to behave this
      way

Comment

I've never heard of this "you're only paying 50% of the fare, so you have to give up your seat" bit.

I understand if it's an old person, or somebody that can't stand, but other than that you're not paying for the seat you're paying for the ride. If some salaryman feels he's entitled to the seat because he's a salaryman, then I feel he doesn't deserve it.

Comment

Kumachan and Naughton, please read my original post !

There is no rule in Japan. TRUE.
          I was refering to what used to be the case in ENGLAND. Young people were obliged to give up their seats to adults IN ENGLAND, as they only paid half the ticket cost IN ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by ballbags; 2005-11-08, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ballbags
            I read the original post, I just said I had never heard of such a rule... anyplace... ever.

Back home nobody has ever mentioned this and yes, kids ride for a lot less than adults do. I can see how this could be a good thing but in the end it's not really enforceable.
            I was refering to what used to be the case in ENGLAND. Young people were obliged to give up their seats to adults IN ENGLAND, as they only paid half the ticket cost IN ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!
            Okay... settle....
            How would such a rule be enforced? Would you have some big guy come over to the kids, pull a Dinsdale on them and get them to give up their seats?

Comment

Kumachan, my apologies for the previous rant. I'm a bit under the weather at the mo. It would seem hard to enforce such a rule I agree, but back in the 60's and 70's things were a tad different than today I suppose. More kids paid attention to their parents and/or elders etc etc. Not meaning to sound like a "when I was a lad" type.

Comment

Densha De GO thinks it's funny that MA has been banned, especially after reading his posts.

I guess I'm a dork; I take my back pack off when I ride the bus/train so that I don't bang into other people. I must be a dork since the posters from the ʋ suggest it. *sigh*

No one sits next to me on the train either, so I just stand. Gotta love the Japanese ...

Comment

Seated

I try to get seated on any train I can when travelling to work and back. I've noticed kids being pampered and preened over and allowed to do as they wish on the train, and i always feel glad i don't have that responsibility of endeavouring to raise a child in the old fashioned manners i was taught, because i think it would be an up hill battle here.I've been surprised to get glares from men on the train when i've been seated sometimes, because i think they expect me to stand up for them, which i don't.As for the elderely and those who happen to be pregnant, i automatically allow them to take my seat.I was attacked by a japanese man one night about 4 years ago, he just decided to verbally abuse me while i was sitting down, eventually i stood up and let him have the seat and still kept hauling abuse at me.

Whenever some people begin to grow aggessive and shove their way onto the train, i allow them to go in first, i can't be bothered fighting for a seat. There are times when i'm inwardly apalled by the degrading behaviour i see on trains, but i keep my thoughts and feelings to myself.I've found a good solution for inner peace while travelling on trains here, reading books! For some reason, reading books on trains shuts away the stares, the glares, the overcrowded sardine can feeling, and the aggressive behaviour.It's been interesting discreetly observing the reactions of those around me whenever i get out a book and begin reading it, but that's another story for another posting, one day.

Aggressive pushing and shoving is not only confined to trains though, it happens at museums and in shops too. I'm sure other people who read these postings have experienced this.

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatic-alien
                    Aggressive pushing and shoving is not only confined to trains though, it happens at museums and in shops too. I'm sure other people who read these postings have experienced this.
                    Happens all the time wherever you go but there's one thing they need to consider:

A 90Kg, muscled gaijin that works out and does martial arts is not going to be pushed and shoved around. I've had people practically bounce off me when they've gotten a little too aggressive in their zeal to get to point A to point B while I'm standing in the middle.

Comment

wow - an old thread, but...

I had an aggressive pusher this morning on the train. I was seated with the space next to me open and a large man sat down – completely filling the spot snugly but with his arms still in front, and my arm at my sides and touching his torso. After a while he took aggressive action – clasping his hands and using his other arm to help drive his elbow into my side. As there wasnft anywhere for me to go, I sat there for a few minutes with him applying increasing amounts of pressure and eventually wiggling his elbow and pushing harder to increase the now painful effect. Such a childish thing to do.

I asked him what he was doing (nani ____eiru no?) and he replied that there wasnft enough space (kitsui) – but he stopped the pushing and moved his arm forward and slightly in front of his chest. I did the same with my arm, so at least I wasnft touching his side. Good thing that this was early, and not on a late and booze fueled return trip – as it could easily have gotten out of hand.

Comment

Ahhh the people standing in front of the door while you have to get off thing and the people rush inside to get a seat is a comon thing here in Kansai. I usually say "taidou warui na" but of course they ignore it. Ive had some bad experiences on a train and one was something I regret doing.

Was morning rushhour and I had to switch trains. The other train I had to get on was completely back but I tried to squeeze in a little. There was an annoying guy in front of me who was pushing everybody VERY hard when he entered the train. I then had to get in and when I turned around facing the door I accidentally stepped on his foot. He blurted out very loudly "ITAIIII YOOOO". I turned my head and the words "Mooo urusaiii" escaped my mouth. Completely accidentally. felt really bad, but when we stopped at the next station he got off and just hit people in their stomach and pushed em away. Not sure if that was my doing that made him so angry he did that.

Comment

Originally posted by TPRG View Post
                          This problem with manners is especially noticeable with the "silver" priortity seating for the elderly, disabled, pregnant, or people with some other kind of ailment or physical condition. Most of the time people that are apparently in sound physical condition and sit in priority seats don't give a hoot, even if there is an 80-year old lady with a walking stick standing right in front of them. .
                          Not everyone who has an ailment is visibly disabled. I will admit to taking the disabled seating if that is all that is left- I've had knee surgery, and a train ride of more than ten minutes standing up leaves me in agony. Don't judge based on appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by ballbags View Post

So they should just give up half their seat, or half stand up....

Comment

I sit in the priority seats all the time. But I will stand up and give my seat to anyone who has a higher priority than me. I generally do that even in the regular seats too.

Comment

Working...
                              X