Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Climbing Fuji in Oct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing Fuji in Oct?

So, I want to climb Fujisan in mid October and I was hoping to get some input from those with experience climbing in the off-season. I've read a lot of conflicting information, from "its prohibited/illegal" to "its totally possible". My friend and I are experienced and in-shape. I myself have climbed many mountains of equal or higher elevation, so I'm not concerned with my abilities or preparedness. I realize there are warnings for a reason, and I would of course be watching weather and conditions up to the date in order to use common sense before departure. So what I'm looking for is information from experienced persons concerning rules, restrictions and access. Is it illegal/prohibited, and if so what kind of control is there? I know there are Climbing Notice Forms to submit to the prefectural police, so I can't imagine its completely unheard of. I read that trails "close" but there are plenty of blogs and accounts of climbing well into the winter, so I can't imagine that "closed" means anything more then a rope or chain at the trailhead. Can I access the parking lot at Subashiri 5th station with a private car in mid-Oct? If not what are my options? I plan to do a day climb starting early morning, so I'm not concerned with lodging. I'm grateful for any information you can provide, but I would appreciate to hear mostly from those with off-season experience and not just copy/pastes of the warnings I've already read. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read and respond. Cheers......

I've driven to the treeline as late as november - road is open but there are no services, a few other people were walking around near the lodge and probably to the Hoei crater. If you are an experienced mountaineer you won't have any problems - it's the idiots that don't check the weather that end up needing rescue.

You know this is a hike, right? No technical climbing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by LowEndTheory View Post
      So, I want to climb Fujisan in mid October and I was hoping to get some input from those with experience climbing in the off-season. I've read a lot of conflicting information, from "its prohibited/illegal" to "its totally possible". My friend and I are experienced and in-shape. I myself have climbed many mountains of equal or higher elevation, so I'm not concerned with my abilities or preparedness. I realize there are warnings for a reason, and I would of course be watching weather and conditions up to the date in order to use common sense before departure. So what I'm looking for is information from experienced persons concerning rules, restrictions and access. Is it illegal/prohibited, and if so what kind of control is there? I know there are Climbing Notice Forms to submit to the prefectural police, so I can't imagine its completely unheard of. I read that trails "close" but there are plenty of blogs and accounts of climbing well into the winter, so I can't imagine that "closed" means anything more then a rope or chain at the trailhead. Can I access the parking lot at Subashiri 5th station with a private car in mid-Oct? If not what are my options? I plan to do a day climb starting early morning, so I'm not concerned with lodging. I'm grateful for any information you can provide, but I would appreciate to hear mostly from those with off-season experience and not just copy/pastes of the warnings I've already read. Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read and respond. Cheers......
      What is so difficult to understand in the words "prohibited and illegal" ? They do not allow it, because conditions on the mountain change at wil! You claim to Be experience, so you should understand what they mean when they say "prohibited and illegal" ! Climb in season or not at all !

Comment

i have a buddy that attempts to climb it every year in mid winter. sometimes he summits and sometimes he doesnt make it to the top. from this i do know that it is possible and legal, but you have to register your climb with the local police. obviously you need to be an expert mountaineer to do a climb like he does. not sure about october but you should definitely be well prepared and experienced climbing it in the off season.

Comment

rtfm: Yes, I know it is a very straight forward hike with well worn paths and plenty of signage, shouldn't be to hard with the exception of some scree.

Condom: The difficulty in understanding "prohibited/illegal" is when lodges are still open, people are still climbing and the police request registry when climbing in the off-season. If it was really illegal would the police ask you to register before you go? So perhaps that source was a little inaccurate. My experiences beyond mountains have taught me to ask around a bit because people don't always know what they are talking about. Not to mention that people in Japan tend to refuse to believe things are possible if it's not in the designated, undeniable "season". As in the examples: "I got stung by a jellyfish" "No you didn't, its not jellyfish season" or "I camped there last night" "No that's impossible, its not camping season".

hail: Yea I've read a few accounts of winter ice climbs, so an ascent on a sunny autumn day should be ok. I'm not so stubborn that I can't turn around either if things make a turn for the worse.

Thanks for your input everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X