Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Countryside Living

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Countryside Living

    Hello to all,

    Welcome to this thread.

    Any of you potters ever attempted to buy, or have actually bought countryside land here in Japan? My wife and I are in the process of looking for land with an existing house on it. Preferebly lower elevation foothill land. But we are having difficulty finding countryside realtors. Any advice?

    We currently live in Nagoya and want to buy some land only a stones throw away. But not close enough where it`ll cost us an arm and`a leg to buy. Eastern Aichi Prefecture (HigashiMikawa) in the foothills somewhere should be good. With all the young people from that area already migrated and settled into Nagoya, the old folks and their farms are all that remain.

    Check out this video for an idea of the kind of land and lifestyle we are looking for.

    http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld/ro...the_slow.html#
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KenElwood; 2007-06-09, 02:47 PM.

  • #2
    I can't vouch for them, having never used this service, but this site might be of some help:

    http://www.furusato-net.co.jp/index.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Sosa, Thanks a lot for the link!

      Comment


      • #4
        No problem. Let me know how things work out, my wife and I are thinking about buying a place in the country someday.

        Comment


        • #5
          I found this realtor? or independently run outfit online a few weeks back. My wife and I contacted them..I mean THE GUY.. on a property in a small hamlet we were interested in seeing. The guy faxed us a map and said `the door isn`t locked, go have a look.`

          So last Friday my wife and I got up really early in the morning and headed up to the hills. After 3 hours of driving we finally found the house in an old off the main road Hamlet, perched up in the corner of some old and very narrow elevated rice fields.

          The going rate for the house and land WAS 100man yen, but after viewing the house and the land we considered talking the price down with THE GUY. My wife and i`ve been to Mexico on more than one occasion (we used to live in Cali) so bargaining comes pretty much natural for us now. Anyway, back on topic, just a couple of days ago we were successful in talking the price down to 80man yen.

          This old structure (home) + 100 tsubo of land (almost a 1/2 acre) (1 tsubo = 1 full bed 6 foot x 6 foot) at 80 man yen. about 6,975 US dollars.

          The house is old and in need of some tender lovin` care, but my oh my, all that land for such a cheap price!!

          No, it`s not an old land fill and, no, it`s not located next to some toxic mine. I`m guessing it`s cheap just because these kinds of places are in a position of: be bought and be farmed or be reclaimed by the land.

          Or maybe it`s haunted??...well, if you believe in ghosts that is.

          There are listings of countryside homes and land from many areas of Japan, but the most being of Aichi, Mie, Gifu, and Shizuoka prefectures.

          http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ut7h-Kwgc/asahi/index.htm



          Take a look at the old cookers inside the house. Looks like grandma has been using the kitchen as a storage shed.

          And the house in all her glory.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by KenElwood; 2006-08-08, 12:23 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey that is a pretty good deal, have you decided to purchase?

            Would you be looking to renovate or build a new place from scratch?

            We aren't sure what we'd like to do. We live in Canada, but my wife is Japanese and I lived there for five years. We were thinking it would be nice to get a country home in Japan, but we weren't sure if it would be better to buy an old place and renovate or just buy some land and build something new. Definitely we are leaning towards buying an old place because we love the aesthetic appeal, but are wary of the pitfalls of trying to maintain/ renovate such a place, which I've heard can be quite costly.

            Comment


            • #7
              There are plenty of overpriced pieces of junk for sale on those sites listed by psudo real estate agents. Why pay millions of yen for something that is'nt worth one tenth of what they are asking for it? One alternative would be to buy a distressed property at court tendered auction. There are lots of these to be had. The Norinsuisansho (ministy of agriculture) also auctions distressed properties and agricultural land. The tax office does also for unpaid taxes. These often go unsold because nobody puts in a bid for them. If you are the only bidder you could pick one up very cheaply. I have done this several times. You have to be a registered farmer to buy those, but after a farmer buys some land and changes the zoning, the farmer can sell it to anybody, he just has to apply to change the zoning. Another possibility is distressing a property yourself that you want to get hold of. There are lots of alternative possibilities.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah, but about half the bloody places listed on that site are going for less than 5 million yen. Why go through the trouble of trying to purchase whatever court-auctioned stuff is available just on the off chance you'll save a few yen. Hardly seems worth it when you are talking about property that is selling so cheaply.

                Comment


                • #9
                  looks like thist thread's turned out to be more interesting than expected.

                  thanks for the information, guys

                  i asked my man once, quite long time ago, truly indeed what's exactly he wants to do with his/our lives, his dream...and he came out with one word : Farmer.

                  i had no problem with that. we love nature and village lifestyle more than the metropolitan one.

                  guess i'll try to bring up this subject back tonight when he's home. thanks to this thread.

                  cheers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sosa
                    Yeah, but about half the bloody places listed on that site are going for less than 5 million yen. Why go through the trouble of trying to purchase whatever court-auctioned stuff is available just on the off chance you'll save a few yen. Hardly seems worth it when you are talking about property that is selling so cheaply.
                    Save a few yen! 5 mil is just pocket change to you huh?

                    Well maybe it is, but most of the things listed on those sites are piles of junk waiting to fall down. Somebody just doesn't want to go to the trouble and expense of having it torn down, and some sucker may come along and pay 5 million for it.

                    I own a few of these which I would GLADLY sell for 5 million, any takers?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      and i thought......

                      Originally posted by homesweethome
                      Save a few yen! 5 mil is just pocket change to you huh?

                      Well maybe it is, but most of the things listed on those sites are piles of junk waiting to fall down. Somebody just doesn't want to go to the trouble and expense of having it torn down, and some sucker may come along and pay 5 million for it.

                      I own a few of these which I would GLADLY sell for 5 million, any takers?
                      5 million ???!!!!?
                      oops..wrong thread

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        growing rice

                        Growing rice is fine, but on small plots, difficult to make a living at unless you grow a LOT of it, but to do this you have to have some mechanized labor saving devices to do it. At least a tractor and harvestor unless you coop with others or hire it done. Grow rice for sure but also grow everything else, fruits, veggies, including some chickens and maybe a goat or two. Forget the Nokyo, they are crooks and will just bleed you. Form a group of people in the city who want to buy healthy organic fresh produce from a gaijin farmer. Get the local paper to pick it up and get some free publicity. People will call YOU to come sell your stuff to them.

                        Write a book telling the Japanese how they are missing out on the good life and destroying their own beautiful country. go on the television circuit. Become a rich and famous farmer!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          my..my..

                          Originally posted by homesweethome
                          Growing rice is fine, but on small plots, difficult to make a living at unless you grow a LOT of it, but to do this you have to have some mechanized labor saving devices to do it. At least a tractor and harvestor unless you coop with others or hire it done. Grow rice for sure but also grow everything else, fruits, veggies, including some chickens and maybe a goat or two. Forget the Nokyo, they are crooks and will just bleed you. Form a group of people in the city who want to buy healthy organic fresh produce from a gaijin farmer. Get the local paper to pick it up and get some free publicity. People will call YOU to come sell your stuff to them.

                          Write a book telling the Japanese how they are missing out on the good life and destroying their own beautiful country. go on the television circuit. Become a rich and famous farmer!
                          er...celebrity farmer ? haha...

                          btw
                          h said that there's some kind of loans from japan government specially for someone who wants to start a farm...? not sure bout the details...h might know more, but well...he's not here now, so just want to get more info to catch up w him later for more developing discussions.

                          thanks in advance

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Time22
                            5 million ???!!!!?
                            oops..wrong thread
                            I would say 50 man yen UNLESS it has a LOT of land with it. I mean in the 2 or 3 hectare range. Of course it depends what it is. A 150 year old tradtional Japanese farmhouse built to last like they used to build them with the huge oak beams is worth a lot more than any over priced piece of junk they build these days and call houses. Cold in the winter though unless Kyushu or temperate climates location like ocean side of Shikoku. Those old thatched roofs are expensive to build and maintain though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by homesweethome
                              Yes there are all sorts of incentives and programs to try to get people to take up the sport of farming. Free land, free housing, low interest (or no interest) loans, grants, give aways, the village I live in will give you money to build a fence to keep out the wild boars! help in finding submissive, fertile, Chinese farmwife, brides! no kidding! That's what the pamphlet says!

                              Maybe I better let somebody else show off their knowledge about that though.
                              cool!!

                              i mean those kind of 'free...free..low..' stuff..

                              but geez....unfair
                              why have to be 'chinese farmwife'..? can't fit in any of those..*sobs*

                              thanks for the infos!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X