Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Shakken refunds

    Are any of the posters to this old thread still around? Theres some incredibly useful info here (thanks bland), but i have a couple of questions if anyone is able to answer them..

    My car is up for shakken but i'll only be in the country for maybe 3 months after i re-shakken, and i am thinking to export my car when i leave, but want to drive it up until i leave. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a partial refund on any of the various costs involved in the shakken (like the weight fee, or the insurance, or the recycling fee) which will obviously not be used/relevant after the car is exported?

    Also, im wondering if someone has a link to the actual address of the testing centres, im sure there is one in Nagano city where i live, but i dont know where exactly it is.

    (Edit: it looks like some of the info about the weight tax costs show you can pay for only 1 year, or am i reading/translating it wrong?)
    Last edited by rynogee; 2007-11-13, 05:23 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by rynogee
      A
      Also, im wondering if someone has a link to the actual address of the testing centres, im sure there is one in Nagano city where i live, but i dont know where exactly it is.
      )

      ŒxŽ@–{•”Œð’ʈÀ‘SƒZƒ“ƒ^[
      §381-2224@’·–ìŽsì’†“‡’¬Œ´704-2@TELF026-292-2345

      Nagano-shi kawanakajima-cho hara 704-2

      ŒxŽ@–{•”’†“ìMŒð’ʈÀ‘SƒZ ƒ“ƒ^[
      §399-6461@‰–KŽs@‰ê73-116@TELF0263-53-6611

      shijiri-shi Munega? 73-116

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by rynogee
        My car is up for shakken but i'll only be in the country for maybe 3 months after i re-shakken, and i am thinking to export my car when i leave, but want to drive it up until i leave. Does anyone know if there is a way to get a partial refund on any of the various costs involved in the shakken (like the weight fee, or the insurance, or the recycling fee) which will obviously not be used/relevant after the car is exported?
        I believe you will need to renew for the standard two years.

        After you de-register ( haisha ”pŽÔ ) your car before exporting it you can get a partial refund of the unused portion of the weight tax, jibaiseki (compulsory insurance), and probably also the automobile tax. I don't know the amount, nor the exact procedures, but I think it involves applying directly to the national tax agency, your jibaiseki insurance company, and the prefectural tax office respectively.

        For the recycling fee, I understand that there is provision for businesses that export a large number of vehicles (ie, not individuals exporting ONE car) to obtain a (partial) refund.


        Originally posted by rynogee
        (Edit: it looks like some of the info about the weight tax costs show you can pay for only 1 year, or am i reading/translating it wrong?)
        That would be for vehicles that require annual shaken, such as vehicles used for taxis, etc - not applicable in your situation.

        Comment


        • #19
          is the recycling fee paid once for the life of the vehicle, or once every time the car is re-shakkened? I have a receipt with my cars paperwork that appears to be the recycling document..

          Comment


          • #20
            Once only

            Originally posted by rynogee
            is the recycling fee paid once for the life of the vehicle, or once every time the car is re-shakkened? I have a receipt with my cars paperwork that appears to be the recycling document..
            Once only, for the life of the vehicle.

            Comment


            • #21
              Heh, an interesting thread.

              I have a question. Under Japanese road traffic law, is there a minimum tread depth for car tyres? In the UK you must have at least 1.6mm of tread across the 75% of the tyre for it to be legal. I tried asking at the local shop where I bought the car from, but they didn't really seem to know. They were keen to flog me a new set of tyres though...

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by ballbags
                Under Japanese road traffic law, is there a minimum tread depth for car tyres?
                For passenger cars, 1.6mm according to:
                http://hc.sakumoto.net/tire.html

                Comment


                • #23
                  Bland, my friend. That's excellent. Thanks!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I've just had my car done today, by the dealer. Looks like it's going to cost me about 21 man.

                    I can't remember my old cars shaken cost so I'm wondering what everyone else has been paying.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      knowledge is power!

                      Piece of cake took the car in last Tuesday, they funked me over twice but the third time it was cool. The right headlight was in high beam 6 centimeters too low (like that is dangerous or something/ if it was too high I would understand but hey common sense tells you to switch off your high beam when another vehicle approaches anyway.)
                      It cost me 70.000 yen and 1500 yen to have the headlight set at the right height which the ______s told me I could do at the same place (shakencenter) after the second time.
                      It shows that it is just a scam to steal your money nothing to do with your safety!!! I think it is one of those retarded things to keep the economy going!!! This was my second shakken and the car has done almost 90.000 kilometers. If you need help I am glad to give it to you. Don't even bother checking the car yourself they won't look at the paper either way. My car has a big crack in the fronshield window and I kept the windows real dirty slapped a sticker on it and it was no problemo!!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        weight tax refund

                        Originally posted by bland
                        I believe you will need to renew for the standard two years.

                        After you de-register ( haisha ”pŽÔ ) your car before exporting it you can get a partial refund of the unused portion of the weight tax...

                        I don't know the amount, nor the exact procedures, but I think it involves applying directly to the national tax agency...
                        Explained here (in Japanese):
                        http://www.nta.go.jp/tetsuzuki/densh...hajuryo/01.htm

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          wow...what a great and helpful thread. I know im digging up the past but this really needs to be stickied or something. Im to go through Shakken later this year. I have an FDrx7 which is now nearly 15 years old. Its pretty tidy, no oil leaks but i am extremely worried about how ____ed im going to get with Shakken. This was helpful read.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by BigWillieStyles
                            wow...what a great and helpful thread. I know im digging up the past but this really needs to be stickied or something. Im to go through Shakken later this year. I have an FDrx7 which is now nearly 15 years old. Its pretty tidy, no oil leaks but i am extremely worried about how ____ed im going to get with Shakken. This was helpful read.
                            ‚c‚@‚‰‚”@‚™‚‚•‚’ ‚“‚…‚Œ‚†D

                            Use User Shaken. They'll tell you what's wrong, if anything, and you have a reasonable amount of time to fix it or get i fixed and take it back for a final inspection.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              jibaiseki price reduction

                              Big reductions in the cost of the compulsory insurance (jibaiseki Ž©”…Ójwere announced last month. The lower rates apply for insurance policies starting from 2008-04-01.

                              (see post#5 for a link to the new rates)

                              Note that, in some / many cases, your existing jibaiseki is paid up for a month or so beyond your shaken expiry date (check the expiry date on your current jibaiseki certificate).

                              If your renewed jibaiseki will start at a date beyond 2008-04-01, you'll pay the new lower rates.


                              However, the price reduction is so substantial, that for those purchasing insurance starting in February or March 2008, it can be more economical to purchase two separate insurance policies - one for the 1 or 2 months (at the old rates), and one for the remaining 23 or 22 months (at the new, lower rates). For white plate cars, you will save 2670yen and 3040yen respectively by doing this, as calculated here:
                              http://blog.goo.ne.jp/fj1958/e/1618a...3d45c57d530a39

                              For yellow-plate cars, the saving is 790yen for March (don't know about Feb).



                              So I expect my next shaken to cost...

                              Ž©”…Ó•ÛŒ¯ jibaiseki hoken. (compulsory insurance)
                              22470 yen

                              d—ʐÅjuuryouzei. Weight tax.
                              25200 yen

                              ŒŸ¸Žè”—¿test fee
                              1700 yen

                              —pŽ†‘ãtest application form
                              40 yen


                              Total: 49410 yen
                              Last edited by bland; 2008-09-06, 10:50 AM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                It seems that, roughly, you can save about 50-60,000 yen doing it yourself (providing there are no repairs to do). So the shop is probably charging you somewhere around 10,000 yen an hour to do the shaken for you; however, one would assume--if done at a dealer--that the safety check will be thorough. With a new car that has low mileage, this doing it yourself without the proper mechanical knowledge is probably not a problem, but, for many, the extra 50,000 may well be worth the peace of mind. Still a big rip-off, if you ask me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X