Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the refund of weighted tax.. link

question 19, it appears that when you de-register (haisha) your car for the purpose of export.. refund of the weighted tax is not applicable...

So... refund is only applicable if the car is dismantled for recycling..

..Corect me if I`m wrong....???
    Last edited by BeastX; 2008-02-25, 06:43 PM.

Comment

no weight tax refund on export

Originally posted by BeastX
      on the refund of weighted tax.. link

question 19, it appears that when you de-register (haisha) your car for the purpose of export.. refund of the weighted tax is not applicable...

So... refund is only applicable if the car is dismantled for recycling..

..Corect me if I`m wrong....???
      You are correct.

Q18@’†ŒÃŽÔ‚ð—Ao‚µ‚½ê AŠÒ•t‚ðŽó‚¯‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚ ‚«‚Ü‚·‚©B

A@—Ao‚µ‚½ê‡‚ÍŠÒ•t‚ðŽ 󂯂邱‚Æ‚Í‚Å‚«‚Ü‚¹‚ ñB
      @Ž©“®ŽÔd—ʐł̔pŽÔŠÒ•t §“x‚́AŽ©“®ŽÔƒŠƒTƒCƒNƒ‹–@ ‚ÉŠî‚¢‚Ä“K³‚ɉð‘Ì‚ ³‚ꂽŽg—pÏŽ©“®ŽÔ‚ðŠÒ•t ̑ΏۂƂµ‚Ä‚¢‚é‚©‚ç Å‚·B
      Translation (abridged):

Q18 Is refund available if a used car is exported?

A. No, because the weight tax refund system is based on the automobile recycling law, such that it only applies for properly dismantled used (as in "exhausted") automobiles.

This makes sense, because the weight tax refund system was introduced at the same time that the recycling scheme was introduced.

Thanks for the correction.
      Last edited by bland; 2008-04-05, 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a car that is due for Shaken in April. This is my first time to go through this, as I purchased it in late 2006. But I have had no notification come to me regarding the process. Are you notified on this? I'm used to having rego slips come months in advance back in Australia.

Another thing, my car is 35 years old now. While it's pretty good overall, with absolutely no visual faults such as oil leaks, panel damage / rust or tears in seats, I'm worried that they will go over it more closely due to it's age. Or maybe they will be all "Natsukashi, NE!" and let me through a little easy... Does anybody have any experience doing an old car like this?

I am planning on doing user shaken, after reading the great guide above. Can anybody point me towards the closest centre to Setagaya? Is it at the licensing centre in Samezu?

Comment

shaken

Originally posted by Savannarx3
          I have a car that is due for Shaken in April. This is my first time to go through this, as I purchased it in late 2006. But I have had no notification come to me regarding the process. Are you notified on this?
          No.

No need for notification - the expiry date is shown on your shaken sticker and shaken certificate.

The only thing you're notified of is the annual Automobile Tax (assuming you've kept the tax office of the prefecture in which your car is registered up-to-date on your address).

Another thing, my car is 35 years old now. While it's pretty good overall, with absolutely no visual faults such as oil leaks, panel damage / rust or tears in seats, I'm worried that they will go over it more closely due to it's age. Or maybe they will be all "Natsukashi, NE!" and let me through a little easy... Does anybody have any experience doing an old car like this?
          The age is not relevant, only the condition.

If your car is pre-1978, I think you're exempt from the exhaust gas emissions test.

I am planning on doing user shaken, after reading the great guide above. Can anybody point me towards the closest centre to Setagaya?
          Looks like the Tokyo un'yu shikyoku “Œ‹ž‰^—AŽx‹Ç here:
          http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/kensat...u/map/0401.htm

Address: “Œ‹ž“s•iì‹æ“Œ‘åˆä1’š– Ú12”Ô17†

(copy and paste into google maps, etc to find it)

Complete list of places is here:
          http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/kensat...yoku/index.htm
          (same map that appears when you go to book online)

Is it at the licensing centre in Samezu?
          No. That's the prefectural police driver licencing centre - a different place altogether.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Bland. I know age of the car is technically irrelevant, but thought that in practice they may be a little more thorough on an older car.

Do I have to complete the process fully before the expiry date on the shaken sticker, or is there a leeway period?

Originally posted by bland
            Looks like the Tokyo un'yu shikyoku “Œ‹ž‰^—AŽx‹Ç here:
            http://www.mlit.go.jp/jidosha/kensat...u/map/0401.htm

Address: “Œ‹ž“s•iì‹æ“Œ‘åˆä1’š– Ú12”Ô17†
            This is actually right next door to the Samezu licensing centre. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Do I have to complete the process fully before the expiry date on the shaken sticker, or is there a leeway period?
              I will go Kansai Ben here and suggest that the expiry date is written in stone, and the leeway priod is the 2 years you have until that date.

Kinda maks sense, really.............................

Comment

No leeway period. If your shaken expires, you'd then need to obtain special permission to move your car, which seems to be in the form of a number plate with a diagonal red line through it that you can obtain from your city/ward/town/village office.

You can renew your shaken from one month before it expires.
                http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...824#post283824
                (post #5)

I think it's wise to do it early, so that you've got time to assess your options if any unexpected fault is found.
                Last edited by bland; 2009-09-27, 04:30 PM.

Comment

No leeway period. If your shaken expires, you'd then need to obtain special permission to move your car, which seems to be in the form of a number plate with a diagonal red line through it that you can obtain from your city/ward/town/village office..
                  Those are cool.

I had one. Felt like a diplomat.

As always, good advice, Bland.

Comment

A Question

I am looking at a business trip coming up and due to length of time I will be gone, I will most likely be taking my vehicle. The shaken is due in June. Do I need to take care of the shaken in the prefecture where the car is registered, or can I do it where I am going to be at that time?

Comment

shaken anywhere

Originally posted by kcm4491
                      I am looking at a business trip coming up and due to length of time I will be gone, I will most likely be taking my vehicle. The shaken is due in June. Do I need to take care of the shaken in the prefecture where the car is registered, or can I do it where I am going to be at that time?

See post #5:

You can take the test at any inspection centre, by the way, regardless of where you live or where your car is registered.
                      http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...767#post283824

If you're planning to do it yourself, is the "getting your hands dirty" part compatible with your "business trip" plans?
                      Last edited by bland; 2009-09-27, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Bland,

Thanks for the info. I will actually be able to do the checking myself. I always carry my tool box around with me for those special occasions. My work attire is a polo shirt and jeans because part of my work involves inspecting the progress of construction projects so getting dirty is no problem for me.

Comment

Good info in this thread, and having had an estimate from 2 shops for the shaken for my wifes car, I decided I will do it myself.
                          To help the process, I attempted to translate the 60 point check sheet, my effort can be downloaded from here..
                          http://www.mediafire.com/?g0htgbo0xqz
                          Critique welcome..

I'll post an update after the deed is done

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy
                            To help the process, I attempted to translate the 60 point check sheet, my effort can be downloaded from here..
                            http://www.mediafire.com/?g0htgbo0xqz
                            Critique welcome..
                            I haven't been able to download that file. It looks like that site may require Javascript etc.

Could you attach the file to your post?

Comment

I haven't been able to download that file. It looks like that site may require Javascript etc.

Could you attach the file to your post?
                              This any better? If not, I'll find another way...
                              shaken check list.pdf

Anyway, today mission accomplished. Took the wifes car, 5 year old Honda Fit, 74,000km for it's shaken. I won't cover details already mentioned above, except cost...
                              Estimate 1: Car shop where we bought it, salesman there rolled his eyes, scratched his arse and came to a figure of AROUND 10 man yen. Around meaning +10~20% as I see it.
                              Estimate 2: Honda dealership, no messing there, total 127,374 yen. This included actual shaken cost (49,370) plus whatever they felt necessary.

So using the Honda estimate as my guide, I basically did all the checks/replacements that they quoted for, including front brake pads, air cleaner, wiper blades, brake oil change, automatic transmission oil change and some adjustments here and there.

Total spent on parts and some labour (Autobacs for oil changes) 17,000. Total for Shaken (test, insurance, tax)49,000 and change. My total 67000 yen, just over half of the dealers estimate.

I also believe that the car would have passed the Shaken test without any of the parts being replaced, just with some adjustment.

So if you are capable of working on your car, do it yourself, good experience and actually half of the test is a farce. How to check wheelnuts are tightened correctly? Hit them with a long stick.... How long does it take the inspector to check stuff under the hood? 2 nanoseconds.... it's Japan.......

Comment

Mlit -> Navi

It appears that there have been some rearrangements at MLIT, and the testing procedure (for white-plate cars) is now managed by:

National Agency of Vehicle Inspection
                                http://www.navi.go.jp

The only significant change seems to be a 300yen increase in the test fee, which has been split into two separate fees.

Comment

Working...
                                X