Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've touched up some of the previous posts to reflect lessons learnt from my most recent experience.

- Handbrake during speedometer test (front-wheel drive car).
    For some test centers and/or lanes, you need to have the handbrake off.

- Headlight flash at 40km/hr.
    My headlight flash was too short for the robot to detect. I had to speed back up to a steady 40km/hr and hold the lights on for a bit longer.

- Under-bonnet check.
    Previously, this has been a very quick check to verify that the car body number matches what is on the paperwork. On this occasion, the inspector looked more thoroughly using a torch - perhaps checking for oil leaks.

- 24-monthly tenken seibi kirokubo.
    There was a problem with the PDF on the "User Shaken Club" website - I had to cross out •ª‰ð and fill in ‚Q”N’èŠú“_ŒŸ. Fortunatly, there is now a PDF tenkenseibi kirokubo you can download from the NAVI website. The website includes instructions on how to mark it. This is probably the best form to use.

Although cordless had the form returned to him, and although, officially, it is ok to do the tenkenseibi after the shaken, some offices do seem to require it.

Comment

Originally posted by bland
      It appears that there have been some rearrangements at MLIT, and the testing procedure (for white-plate cars) is now managed by:

National Agency of Vehicle Inspection
      http://www.navi.go.jp

The NAVI website features this detailed explanation (with pictures and diagrams) for the Shaken line.
      http://www.navi.go.jp/inspection/how...rse/index.html

Comment

90% of the inspection is for safety items, keeping this in mind makes it a bit easier in preparing for it.
        I used to do shaken on cars for a fee, friends, co-workers, etc. It's mainly just a hassle more then anything else.
        However, there are ways to make the entire process go a lot easier, but it takes some time to invest. Make friends with a local car shop, one that may sell or repair performance vehicles. Most of them have certificates on "pre-inspection" for shaken. They can hook you up by stamping half your paperwork, then you just go to the Land Office for a few short tests and some more stamps. 15-20mins at the Land office max.

Comment

shaken in osaka

i'm getting ready to make an appointment for my upcoming shaken next week here in osaka. it took me a while of thumbing through the site before i realized it, but the http://navi.go.jp actually has an English site! i dunno how i missed that for the last 2 weeks now. anyway, link below:

http://www.navi.go.jp/english/index.html

the only thing i'd still like to find a decent translation of is the 60-point "tenken seibi" i“_ŒŸ®”õj. i've done a lot of the basic things myself, but there are several items i can't read on the list, and i want to finish my check before the actual shaken. anyone know where i might find a english translation... no matter how rough?

Comment

i have a paper form, but will have to scan it some time

but i can remember most of whats on it, ok here are 30 thing, (actually more then 30 since i grouped many together)

steering rack boots
            steering knuckle boots
            CV joint boots
            oil leaks
            exhaust system leaks
            coolant leaks
            gas line leaks
            brake line leaks
            exhaust system height clearance (90mm)
            all underbody clearance (90mm)
            in tact catilytic converter and heat sensor
            exhaust/muffler noise level
            wheel/tire clearance (must not touch body or stick out wider then body)
            tire wear
            wheel/tire alignment
            all lights functionality (winkers, low/high beam, brake, tail, parking, reverse, don't forget rear license plate light)
            side brake
            wipers
            windows
            window tinting/film
            working horn
            suspension compenents in-tact
            no leaks from shock
            no play in springs
            bushings not cracked or torn
            emergency flare expiration (good for 5yrs)
            working odometer
            tightened lug nuts

Comment

thanks society mike.

i went for shaken inspection today (friday 10/10/2008). my japanese unfortunately is really not up to par... but my japanese friends here reassured me that it would be okay; that the people are really helpful and so forth at the inspection centers. i've been to this land transport office numerous times for change of ownership and stuff, and yeh, in general, they're been pretty accomodating and friendly. and usually they find a way of simplifying what they're saying if i don't understand completely. and maybe it was just me, but that wasn't the case today. today it was more like "you don't understand osaka-ben slurred keigo... tough $#!+... figure it out".

let me avoid a rant and make a long story short- car didn't pass inspection. actually, it passed EVERY inspection with the exception of what should've been the easiest inspection- headlight inspection. after the first 2 times it didn't pass, i took it to a nearby shop for adjustment. 1000 yen. yay! went back to the rikun jimusho, got back in line. still failed. this time after failing, they told me something to the effect of the lights not being powerful enough, being too dark or something. that was all i could make out of the japanese explanation, so i took it back to the shop that i paid 1000 yen to adjust it to figure out why it still didn't pass. unfortunately, couldn't really understand their japanese much either, so i called my mechanic friend on the phone to have him translate. basically, i think it boiled down to "light not white enough... too blue". it was made to sound like i bought non-street legal lights when i actually just picked up a pair at the local CONAN.

but i blew all the chances of re-taking the exam today, so i went back home, back to CONAN and bought another pair of lights to replace mine. this time on the package, they were labelled 車検対応 (shaken compliant). i checked the package of the previous ones i owned, and they were missing that label. go figure. so now i've installed the shaken-compliant bulbs, but i'm still nervous that somehow they're not going to pass. anyone had a similar experience? i plan on going in again on this coming tuesday after the holiday.

Comment

yay! i passed! after i failed the inspection last week, i went to conan and bought "shaken compliant" bulbs for my headlights (880 yen) and put them in. i went back this morning, paid the re-inspection fee (1330 yen), drove through the line and had the multitester inspect my headlights. this time green circles (pass) instead of red x's (fail). went in, received my new shaken shomei and windshield sticker. 10 minutes tops. kinda felt anti-climactic after all the pressure build-up after the first failed attempt. wished i had realized that the bulbs were not for street use before the first go round. oh well, you live you learn. and now i don't have to worry about it for another 2 years.

thanks to all the posters in the forum. the information you all provided with your own experiences was invaluable.

Comment

Originally posted by shunsai
                  yay! i passed! after i failed the inspection last week, i went to conan and bought "shaken compliant" bulbs for my headlights (880 yen) and put them in. i went back this morning, paid the re-inspection fee (1330 yen), drove through the line and had the multitester inspect my headlights. this time green circles (pass) instead of red x's (fail). went in, received my new shaken shomei and windshield sticker. 10 minutes tops. kinda felt anti-climactic after all the pressure build-up after the first failed attempt. wished i had realized that the bulbs were not for street use before the first go round. oh well, you live you learn. and now i don't have to worry about it for another 2 years.

thanks to all the posters in the forum. the information you all provided with your own experiences was invaluable.
                  You saved yourself a few yen..
                  On the subject of headlights, I've taken 2 cars for shaken test, each time I saw some cars with tape or card on the headlights, no idea why. Last car I did, the helpful guy at the test place actually held his hand over the headlight during the test. Seems that with low and high beam switched on at same time there could be a problem? Anyone know anything about this?

Comment

yeah shunsai, it IS rather anti-climatic.
                    Now you can change all the things back like your headlights if you want.

The last time I did shaken in my Silvia, I started putting things back to "normal" (non-shaken) mode in the parking lot along with some other guys, haha. Swapped headlights back, changed wheels, removed silencer from muffler, etc.

Comment

Picked up this useful info below when I did my shaken yesterday... showing the process as explained by Bland, useful if you never saw it in person.
                      You can pick up one of these when you apply for the test, at least they had in the Chiba test center.

Couple of new items for me:
                      1. Failed the headlight aim initially, if you have headlight leveling adjustment on your car, set it to '0'. I didn't first time and had to go round again.
                      2. My car has an aftermarket muffler (even though fitted when new at the dealer). After the initial pass through the test, I had to go to another section
                      for a noise check. They measure the noise at idling then at 4000rpm at which mine was recorded at 88 decibels. Limit is somewhere in the 90's I believe.
                      If you are likely to change your muffler/exhaust system for a performance item, make sure it's certified by 'JASMA', this will ensure it meets the noise regulations.

Was ok in the end, pleased to see the total cost reduced, I paid a bit over 63000 yen, half of what I paid for Eneos to do it for me 2 years ago.

Edit: Regarding the headlight test, there was something I questioned before but didn't find an answer so I asked the (very helpful) testing guy. Some cars will go through with card taped over half of the headlight, it seems this is because the normal and high beam are too close together and sometimes causes bad test result. Other times he will hold his hand over the light during the test.

Last edited by Taffy; 2009-02-20, 08:54 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Thanks for the good thread

Last weekend I checked over the car and today I did my shaken down at the Tokyo office near Tennoz Isle. Things went quite smooth. There were two times when I did get a bit nervous however. At the first inspection station, after finishing up, the guy wrote on my sheet that some additional inspection was necessary. This happened just after looking into the engine room, so I thought, Oh Shxt! What could I have possible missed? Anyway it was on to the speed/lights/brake and I had my second tense moment. speedometer was OK, both headlights failed, but then the brake tests were ok. The guy yelled something on the intercom, and they retested the headlights for me, and they both passed the second time. Things went smooth from there. The extra test was the sound check on the aftermarket muffler, and it seemed within range. I had the JASMA? certificate with me in case they gave me trouble.

All told it was 62,000yen and some extra for consumables (wipers/new flare/window washing fluid 4,500yen). Will definitely tackle it again in 2 years.
                        H10ƒ‰ƒ“ƒT[ƒGƒ{@‚u

Comment

I wonder why the Japanese don't complain about this onerous shaken process. The whole process is corporate welfare for the shaken service companies. It is really sad the Japanese are just being herded by the career bureaucrats. Even through a 3rd party service provider, the service cost should be well below JPY 5000, except for parts.
                          Last edited by Guru; 2009-03-06, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by digdug View Post
                            H10ƒ‰ƒ“ƒT[ƒGƒ{@‚u
                            Nice car

Originally posted by Guru View Post
                            I wonder why the Japanese don't complain about this onerous shaken process. The whole process is corporate welfare for the shaken service companies. It is really sad the Japanese are just being herded by the career bureaucrats. Even through a 3rd party service provider, the service cost should be well below JPY 5000, except for parts.
                            They seem too accept the idea of getting robbed, for no other reason than they are not qualified to do ....... (list the job involved)

Try to find a native who is proficient at more than one task at the same time. ____ing horror of multi-tasking
                            Last edited by Taffy; 2009-03-07, 10:29 AM.

Comment

More questions about the tenken seibi. First, I know that the tenken seibi and shaken are two different animals and that the 24-month tenken seibi can be done after the shaken. And I know that the round sticker needs to be removed from the windshield if you do the tenken seibi yourself. So:

1) Is there a difference between the 12-month and 24-month tenken seibi?

2) Is there an official form for the tenken seibi that needs to be completed and kept in the car with the shaken?

3) What's to keep someone from just marking all the items on the tenken seibi as "passed" and signing the paper?

It just seems for relatively new cars, the tenken seibi is unnecessary.

Comment

tenken seibi

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                                More questions about the tenken seibi. First, I know that the tenken seibi and shaken are two different animals and that the 24-month tenken seibi can be done after the shaken. And I know that the round sticker needs to be removed from the windshield if you do the tenken seibi yourself. So:

1) Is there a difference between the 12-month and 24-month tenken seibi?
                                The 24-monthly tenken seibi has 34 extra items. See post #14:

12-monthly (26 items)

24-monthly (60 items).

The actual legislation is here...
                                •Ê•\‘æ“ñ@iŽ©‰Æ—pæ—pŽ© “®ŽÔ“™‚Ì“úí“_ŒŸŠî€j (daily check)
                                •Ê•\‘æ˜Z@iŽ©‰Æ—pæ—pŽ© ®ŽÔ“™‚Ì’èŠú“_ŒŸŠî€j (periodic checks)
                                http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S26/...901000070.html
                                tenken seibi - the law
                                http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...679#post291679

2) Is there an official form for the tenken seibi that needs to be completed and kept in the car with the shaken?
                                See post #5:

3. “_ŒŸ®”õ‹L˜^•ëTenkenseibi kirokubo. As described above, this is the check sheet for the 60-points. There is no prescribed form. The motor service industry association has their own carbon-copy style form, which they use. There may be a form you can use in the back of the owners' handbook that came with your car, in which case it might also list manufactuer-recommended checkpoints, in addition to those required by law. The number of checkpoints was reduced to 60 in 1995 (I think), so if your car is older than 1995, it may list more items than are currently required. Perhaps the easiest way is to print the PDF form on the NAVI website:
                                http://www.navi.go.jp/inspection/howto/flow/note.html
                                User Shaken
                                http://forum.gaijinpot.com/showthrea...824#post283824

(Alternatively, you could create your own form by copying and pasting from the legislation referred to above)

3) What's to keep someone from just marking all the items on the tenken seibi as "passed" and signing the paper?
                                There doesn't appear to be anything.

From post#5:

There are probably some people, perhaps with a newer car, with low kilometres, who would check off the items, but not really check the car over properly, and then pass through the inspection centre test ok, however it would be foolhardy to completely skip over this check. For your own safety as well as to prevent damage, you'd want to check things...

Comment

Working...
                                X