Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another site:

http://annai-center.com/pdf/kirokubo.pdf

It almost makes me want to pay the 10,000+ for the peace of mind, but I know I'm being taken to the cleaners. Why does everything in this country have to be such a rip off? Decisions, decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
      Here's another site:

http://annai-center.com/pdf/kirokubo.pdf

It almost makes me want to pay the 10,000+ for the peace of mind, but I know I'm being taken to the cleaners. Why does everything in this country have to be such a rip off? Decisions, decisions.
      Worry not.
      If car is within guarantee period, dealer doesn't worry if you make a claim (in my experience)
      If plod decides to pull you over for driving while wearing a white face (or a black or caramel one) no problem, car service history is the last thing on his mind.
      When taking your car for the shaken, they ask for the 24 month paper. If the car hasn't been looked at for the last 2 years, they won't even notice.

What I do:
      I service my car myself, keep records. Use the paper in the owners manual if you have one, if not the document available online.
      Take the sticker off the window, I did, my neighbors did, everyone with a pair of nads did.

As you pointed out it's a scam, and not regulated so do as you wish..

Comment

Well, I've got another month to go before the decision is made, but I'm not going to do it. I'll just check the fluids, belts, and do an oil change (which I've been doing regularly). Like you said, it doesn't void the car warrantee if you don't, so I nothing to worry about for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
          Well, I've got another month to go before the decision is made, but I'm not going to do it. I'll just check the fluids, belts, and do an oil change (which I've been doing regularly). Like you said, it doesn't void the car warrantee if you don't, so I nothing to worry about for now.
          When I was in the golf business, I just took a paid raincheck for a foursome to play golf for free with me...I never seemed to have any trouble passing the inspection. Hmmm, wonder why?

Comment

A lot of useful information in this thread and much kudos to Bland for updating the data.

A point that was not discussed or possibly I missed it
            is the technical inspection centers working hours.
            One have to take a day off.

Feeling as in a Japanese commercial here, sorry:
            pointing to a problem and immediately bringing up a solution.

I have used Holiday Shaken on three occasions, twice a bike & once a car, and I recommend them.

Comment

Strange Shaken...

Very good thread. Taken a few cars through the user shaken, must have done it 7 times or so now.

About 10 year ago I took the car I had then, MR2, though the test, was on April 1st and it seemed that some of the new guys were playing it by the book. When I bought the car it had an after market steering wheel and I kept it on as it felt better than the stock Toyota one. However, it didn't have the 'horn' mark on the horn.

Guy doing the pre-check got out his rule book and showed me all the allowable marks for 'horn', I didn't have any of them. Anyway, he told me to go though and we'd talk at the other end. Car went though with no problems. Guy comes up again and says that he can't give me the final hanko until I have a permissible 'horn' mark on the steering wheel. I asked if I could make one myself and he said OK and to call him back when I was ready. I managed to find an old pencil in the glove box and tore a bit of paper out of the manual. Wrote 'HORN' on it, licked it and 'stuck' it in the middle of the wheel. Call the guy over, he says that'll do, and gives me the last hanko. As he walks away my home-made sticker falls off- but I've passed the test for another 2 years! I just laughed all the way home as it was such a joke! A real case of a 'katachi dake' rule.

He had other pictures in the book showing marks like on top of the gear stick to show the pattern of the gears- if you don't have that your car should really fail the test!

I don't mind the shaken, just the cost, but wish it really checked safety stuff like seat belts etc.

Just thought I'd share that little story...

Tony

Comment

Shaken is due...

Great thread, thanks everybody. At least now I know what to ask....

My car's round sticker says 5/21 and if I have understood correctly, I can simply remove that one, yes?
                I own a kei-car and the square sticker tells me 11/21, which means I will need to renew it sometime in October, correct? The Mitsubishi Dealer where I bought it has called and offered an appointment, and told me that it will cost around 100.000 yen. If I have understood everything in this thread, this will include two years insurance and tax and the testing. Is that correct? As the car is fairly new and I hardly use it, there should not be any repairs.
                Now I am wondering, is the 100.000 yen price tag reasonable?

Thanks, Upageya

Comment

Don't make the appointment yet.

Originally posted by upageya View Post
                  Great thread, thanks everybody. At least now I know what to ask....

My car's round sticker says 5/21 and if I have understood correctly, I can simply remove that one, yes?
                  I own a kei-car and the square sticker tells me 11/21, which means I will need to renew it sometime in October, correct? The Mitsubishi Dealer where I bought it has called and offered an appointment, and told me that it will cost around 100.000 yen. If I have understood everything in this thread, this will include two years insurance and tax and the testing. Is that correct? As the car is fairly new and I hardly use it, there should not be any repairs.
                  Now I am wondering, is the 100.000 yen price tag reasonable?

Thanks, Upageya
                  100,000 yen sounds very high for a kei-car. I got my full size van done for about 85,000 yen with no repairs. I would not take it to the dealer. Look around for a place that will do it cheaper. I found a place one day while driving around and had everything except for the new shaken-sho done in half a day. I had to go back the next day and get the new shaken-sho, but I didn't mind.

Comment

Quite possibly the most EPIC car related help thread on this forum EVER.

Props to Bland for spelling it out so clearly.

Comment

updates for 2010-04-01

A few updates to post #5:

- Online reservation now available for yellow-plate kei-cars.

- Reductions in weight tax for vehicles under 18 years old, and "eco car genzei" vehicles.

No change in jibaiseki premiums for 2010, however there appear to be some changes to the coverage and/or conditions from 2010-04-01.

Comment

I paid 140,000 yen for a shaken years back on a used car (around 7 years old). That was via the dealer where I bought it. A rip-off, I thought, but I didn't know better then.

I'm still not sure I know better, and..

Next year my new car will be due first shaken on 3rd birthday. Again, via the dealer, what would you expect as a fair price? Mileage is barely 10,000 kilometers, by the way - hardly used. 1600cc engine.

Comment

Thank you for this thread !

I just came back from a successful user shaken, just thought I would express my gratitude for the time some of you spent here.

Total cost of operation : ~1–œ‰~ in various parts, ~1–œ‰~ in actual work in 3 garages, ~2.5–œ‰~ in paperwork/taxes/insurance.

The car is a commercial one (400 license plate), with shaken due every year. It explains why its actual cost is not that high.

++

Comment

Thanks for the info. just did my first user shaken. Checked the car over myself beforehand and was all good but during the pit test when the machine shakes the wheels side to side one of my steering rack boots ripped so had to replace it but otherwise everything went smoothly. about 58000yen all up for an 1999 impreza STi. very happy

Comment

fyi..

After 10+ yrs of runing multiple cars through this process, it seems they have become a little less "anal" about their checks at the Land Office (Tama in Tachikawa).
                              I recently took our van (09' Nissan El Grand) through and they never even opened the hood. They popped open a little panel near the door to check the chassis code and stamped everything and let me go on my way (to the next window to get plates). Never even ran through the "gauntlet" to do all the tests, no headlight test, nothing. I was done in less than 10min.
                              This could possibly be that it's such a newer vehicle, but I also ran our BMW through a year ago and they checked every little nook and cranny. Maybe I just got lucky on a busy day? I'm not complaining.

Comment

Society mike, what were they like checking your silvia? It looks quite modified in the picture. My impreza is also modified and since this was my first time doing shaken I left almost everything as it is to see how strict they are but everything got through fine. The kid doing the underbonnet check didn't know what my oil catch can was so called an old guy over who took one look at it and said it's ok. They didn't even check in the back to see if I had a spare tire and jack. Didn't check my flare either which I realized when I got home had expired in February.

Comment

Working...
                                X