Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keeptrying View Post
    I paid 140,000 yen for a shaken years back on a used car (around 7 years old). That was via the dealer where I bought it. A rip-off, I thought, but I didn't know better then.

I'm still not sure I know better, and..

Next year my new car will be due first shaken on 3rd birthday. Again, via the dealer, what would you expect as a fair price? Mileage is barely 10,000 kilometers, by the way - hardly used. 1600cc engine.
    Im too lazy / rich / stupid (delete as appropriate) to bother doing user shaken, but my 6 year old Toyota Estima is due for shaken and the dealer that I bought it from has quoted roughly 130,000 yen. But around 30,000 yen is for cleaning (engine etc) (optional admittadely). They are having a laugh.

Comment

saving on used one

Yes,,,I found better thread started here. Quite interesting. I spent on Japanese spares and realized that it is still better option for utilized used spares parts. General Japanese spares support for Nissan, Toyota, Honda spare partsc..etc.

Comment

Shaken/car inspection

reasonable way from auto wreckers....well,, Yes,,,I found better thread started here. Quite interesting. I spent on Japanese spares and realized that it is still better option for utilized used spares parts. Japanese parts support for Nissan, Toyota, Honda spare partsc..etc.

Comment

thanks

I just did user shaken recently with the advice I received from this thread and I want to say thanks! Total cost was around 54,000 for all of the taxes and fees, plus maybe 5000 yen for parts and headlight alignment, an hour of crawling around under the car checking stuff, and 2 hours nenkyu to get down to the inspection station. It was easier than falling off a log, and much better than the 20 man the stealership had quoted me!

I did mine at the Hachinohe center, and found it interesting that they didn't appear to check emissions with the probe, only exhaust volume. The techs were very kind, patient and accommodating of the illiterate foreigner.

Comment

modifications

Does anyone know what modifications would be acceptable?
            I want to put a hi perf v8 into a pontiac Fiero. Its legal in most parts of the U.S.
            The engine will be a new rebuilt engine. How can I find find out if engine swaps are legal?
            How do know if I need to build the exhaust with catalytic converters?
            BTW I live in Tokyo but i cant handle the language sufficiently to find out.
            Any advice would be welcome.

-Tony

Originally posted by bland View Post
            It appears that there have been some rearrangements at MLIT, and the testing procedure (for white-plate cars) is now managed by:

National Agency of Vehicle Inspection
            http://www.navi.go.jp

The only significant change seems to be a 300yen increase in the test fee, which has been split into two separate fees.

Comment

How to fill "24-monthly tenken seibi" yourself?

Hello everyone,

My shaken is due in Sept. so I started looking around for some quotations and the first I got it was from AUTO-BUCKS (not surprisingly) very high (~12 Man) for a less than 1400 car. I mean living in Japan for more than one year now, that's what I really expect in everything, and although is a little bit wired to say, when I found something cheap I become very paranoid or feel disappointed:-)

Anyways, I really like cars and I take care of my car very carefully and systematically, what I mean is, I know very well the condition of my car. Last week I downloaded the "24ƒ–ŒŽ’èŠú“_ŒŸ‹L˜^•ë" filled everything except brake pads which I know I've to change even if somehow I may pass shaken (i.e. 3 mm left). What I don't know how to deal with, is the square in the upper right part of the form where one is supposed to fill out data of the maintenance procedure, like person or store, and than there is the designated number i.e. ”FØ‚Ü‚½‚ÍŽw’è”ԍ† which I've no idea where to find since I am doing it myself.

I read almost everything in this threat and I can see a lot of guys have done 24ƒ–ŒŽ’èŠú“_ŒŸ‹L˜^•ë themselves. Could you please advice me on how is it done, is it important, do I need a seal of some store or whatever. Any detail is important in Japan.

I have all the reports and receipts of maintenance and spare parts since I bought my car last year. Do I need to use those as a prof of something (i.e. wheel alignment report that I did on May, or new battery on December) or I just fill it and get it over with.

Regards

Comment

Does anyone have a copy of the pdf for the 60 point self-check? The link doesn't work anymore. Nor does the new one on the Navi site.

Comment

Originally posted by skankfish215 View Post
                  Does anyone have a copy of the pdf for the 60 point self-check? The link doesn't work anymore. Nor does the new one on the Navi site.
                  Try these links, not sure if they work....

http://www.mediafire.com/?8s9lxdzittxt8j2

http://www.mediafire.com/?pg7hpbafb9q1hit

Japanese original and a translation effort :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                    Try these links, not sure if they work....

http://www.mediafire.com/?8s9lxdzittxt8j2

http://www.mediafire.com/?pg7hpbafb9q1hit

Japanese original and a translation effort :-)
                    Thanks! Work perfectly.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how the 26-point check works? Is it the first 26 from the 60-pointer or something new? A copy of that form would be useful, too.

Edit: Found the checklist (http://www.tokyo-nissan.co.jp/mainte...ex.html#tenken), but a copy of the actual form would still be useful.
                    Last edited by skankfish215; 2012-01-18, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skankfish215 View Post
                      Thanks! Work perfectly.

Just out of interest, does anyone know how the 26-point check works? Is it the first 26 from the 60-pointer or something new? A copy of that form would be useful, too.

Edit: Found the checklist (http://www.tokyo-nissan.co.jp/mainte...ex.html#tenken), but a copy of the actual form would still be useful.
                      This one? http://www5.plala.or.jp/mjm/FZJ78/FZ...78MTN12INS.PDF

Edit: Thats more than 26, it's a 12 month check
                      Last edited by Taffy; 2012-01-18, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I saw that one, too. I think it's some other kind of checkup. Thanks anyway.

Also, any tips on finding a user shaken place near where I live (southern Nagano). Google maps throws up an impossibly small number, all pretty far away.

Comment

English versions of these documents or a translator....

Hi

I am going to import my car into Australia soon....(personal import scheme)

I need to know who can do translations or does the Department of Transport here provide English versions of the documents??

Anyone had experience with this??

Thanks for your valuable time and look forward to your response.

Travis

Comment

Originally posted by Torabisu View Post
                            Hi

I am going to import my car into Australia soon....(personal import scheme)

I need to know who can do translations or does the Department of Transport here provide English versions of the documents??

Anyone had experience with this??

Thanks for your valuable time and look forward to your response.

Travis
                            I'm not sure of the Japanese side of the situation, because it has been 9 years since I sent my car to Oz. I do know that you have to surrender the J plates and get a certificate of ownership, which shows that no finance companies have an interest. If they do, you won't be able to send the car until they are paid out. All the rest of it was handled by the shipping agent.

Make sure you lie about the value of your car to Oz customs because you will have to pay 20% import duty plus 10% GST. Yep you have to pay GST on your own car (I'd had mine since new, for 5 years in Japan, before I shipped it to Oz. Still had to pay GST). You will also have to get an engineers certificate of compliance before you can register it in Oz. That cost me over $200, 9 years ago.

Good luck.

Comment

Thank you brother!!

Originally posted by oxymoron View Post
                              I'm not sure of the Japanese side of the situation, because it has been 9 years since I sent my car to Oz. I do know that you have to surrender the J plates and get a certificate of ownership, which shows that no finance companies have an interest. If they do, you won't be able to send the car until they are paid out. All the rest of it was handled by the shipping agent.

Make sure you lie about the value of your car to Oz customs because you will have to pay 20% import duty plus 10% GST. Yep you have to pay GST on your own car (I'd had mine since new, for 5 years in Japan, before I shipped it to Oz. Still had to pay GST). You will also have to get an engineers certificate of compliance before you can register it in Oz. That cost me over $200, 9 years ago.

Good luck.
                              The certificate of ownership?? I went to autobaccs today and chatted with my main mechanic/friend. He said that it will be all OK as on the SHAKEN SHOUMEISHO it is all in my name......usually if the bank or a credit card company has an interest it is always written here apparently....

There is no way anyone can know if there is a loan on the car if initially it is not written on the SHAKEN SHOUMEISHO.....apparently.......

Is there some other form I am not aware of?? Please advise and I am grateful for your advice....

I am going to get a Letter of Compliance or ADR from BMW OZ......that's all I need and you are exactly right about the tax......my car is going to be worth nothing basically.....LOL

Comment

Originally posted by oxymoron View Post
                                you will have to pay 20% import duty plus 10% GST
                                holy ____. daylight robbery

Comment

Working...
                                X