Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Shaken/car inspection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's now a very detailed guide on doing this yourself over on accessj.com: http://www.accessj.com/2012/03/user-...mot-guide.html

Comment

Originally posted by skankfish215 View Post
      There's now a very detailed guide on doing this yourself over on accessj.com: http://www.accessj.com/2012/03/user-...mot-guide.html
      I was looking into the user shaken thing once as well. I think I finally figured out that I would save around 10,000 yen compared to the cheapest shaken garage (Holiday Shaken). 10,000 wasn't enough to justify the hassle and waste of time involved. Holiday Shaken will have you in and out in around 30 minutes if nothing major is wrong with the car. The only thing with Holiday Shaken I found was that they have a little upsell for minor things, but it's easy to just politely decline the stuff.

Comment

Road Tax problem

I have to do Shaken this September and fortunately I found this forum.

Many thanks to @bland for the amazing info!

I have some question about the documents needed for shaken.
        And particularly the "jidou shazei nozeitsucho" known as the "road tax".

Last year I wasn't in the country because of the earthquake and I haven't paid it.
        Then I moved to different prefecture.
        However, I received this year's road tax receipt at my new address.

Can I pass the shaken by only paying the most recent road tax?
        If no, how can I pay the last year's one?

Thanks in advance!
        Max

Comment

Road Tax problem

Oh I forgot to add that I've also changed my number plate when I moved to different prefecture.

Comment

Thin Tire Tread.

Hi there guys!
            I'm Norman, my home country is the Philippines. and this is my first time to post on this forum. I think this forum will be very helpful for me, because I am only new to this country
            Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu

I will be having my first ever shaken on October. My car doesn't have any issues, accept I am a little bit worried about my tire for the upcoming inspection. It's a little bit thin, but still looks okay to me. My question is to what extend the inspection would be regarding the tread of the tires. any experience regarding this matter?

I will be having my first baby also on october, so I don't want to buy new tires. too many expenses for me. maybe i'll take some pictures of it maybe this weekend for all you guys to see and comment.

cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by soasin View Post
              I am a little bit worried about my tire for the upcoming inspection. It's a little bit thin....

I will be having my first baby also on october, so I don't want to buy new tires. too many expenses for me.
              Family safety not a priority for you then? Get the tyre checked at Autobacs or similar, if necessary change it, tyres are cheap.

Comment

Usually tires have tread depth markers that indicate only a few mm left and if those are starting to wear as well, it would be a good idea to replace them.
                If they are more than 6-7 years old then the rubber has become harder, the tires somewhat noisier, less comfortable with them possibly having less grip= old, worn & less safe. New brooms sweep clean, man.

You don't need to spend a lot to be safe> try Autoway....excellent prices and plenty of sizes. I bought my Achilles ATR Sport from them- in terms of cost performance, they've been great.
                http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/autoway/

Comment

Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                  Family safety not a priority for you then? Get the tyre checked at Autobacs or similar, if necessary change it, tyres are cheap.
                  no, what i mean to say is, my tire doesn't look like that it's dangerous on the road, and i am only a slow driver, but I just don't know up to what extent the inspection of tires would be when it comes to shaken.

my bad, sorry. but you are right, i don't want to put them at risk. i will go to autobacs then thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by formanth View Post
                    Usually tires have tread depth markers that indicate only a few mm left and if those are starting to wear as well, it would be a good idea to replace them.
                    If they are more than 6-7 years old then the rubber has become harder, the tires somewhat noisier, less comfortable with them possibly having less grip= old, worn & less safe. New brooms sweep clean, man.

You don't need to spend a lot to be safe> try Autoway....excellent prices and plenty of sizes. I bought my Achilles ATR Sport from them- in terms of cost performance, they've been great.
                    http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/autoway/
                    cool! thanks for the link! and the knowledge!

nice meeting you guys! cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                      I was looking into the user shaken thing once as well. I think I finally figured out that I would save around 10,000 yen compared to the cheapest shaken garage (Holiday Shaken). 10,000 wasn't enough to justify the hassle and waste of time involved. Holiday Shaken will have you in and out in around 30 minutes if nothing major is wrong with the car. The only thing with Holiday Shaken I found was that they have a little upsell for minor things, but it's easy to just politely decline the stuff.
                      Thanks, that was helpful.
                      Last edited by Tellerva; 2012-11-28, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• I just did user shaken and it was quite painless. I also found a company that is very useful and inexpensive that helps overcome the language barrier. But if your automotive knowledge is decent and have moderately good Japanese comprehension then you really don't need their services. http://selfshaken.com/price.html Selfshaken.com charges 3980 yen plus 3000 yen for the "inspection". You meet the guy at the test center and he does the paper work and brings the car through the shaken line. I didn't realize the 3000 yen fee but it's still a bargain overall. All it entailed was that he looked over the car while we were waiting in the line. E.g. he looked at the CV joint boots. Of course he fills out the 60 point inspection sheet for you, but anyone can do this, and this sheet was not looked at. Presumably it had to be there in the stack of paperwork but the friendly guy who "walks the shaken line" and checks the frame number and asks you do demonstrate wiper, lights, etc. did not even glance at this sheet.

One difference from 2006 is that you no longer need to present the recycling certificate. I guess all registered cars now have them.

I also want to emphasize a misconception about Holiday Shaken. They do not charge 10,000 yen as suggested above. They in fact charge about 25,000 yen total just like Yellow Hat and Autobacs. There are three fees for their service. The basic charge "Šî–{—¿" varies depending on franchise but they charge the maximum ~10k in Tokyo. E.g. this location: http://www.holiday-fc.co.jp/search/fc/0840.html#price So you are saving minimum 25k via user shaken or 18k yen if you enlist selfshaken.com. Another concern (key for me) about using any of these three companies is that they are motivated to find faults with your car. The "low" fee (relative to a dealer) is probably a teaser to get you through the door. I think that in my case I may have been induced to change a rear caliper (probably 30,000 yen plus labor in Japan) in addition to the parking brake cable.

I failed my first inspection because I was taking a gamble since my right side parking brake was not holding well. I noticed it when I was checking the car for the shaken and fixed the parking mechanism in the caliper that had frozen, but it had also caused the cable to become stuck and needed to be replaced. If I had known how their brake tester worked then I wouldn't have taken the chance.

Anyway, this enables me to inform about the re-test procedure. They issue a temporary shaken-sho that is valid for 2 weeks after the test date. This was 3 days beyond my original date. I am not sure what happens if you show up 30 days before expiration. You can come back and do the test same day for no extra fee. If you come back on another day then you have to pay 1300 yen by purchasing the requisite stamps (inshi). You do not need a reservation for a re-test. At Shinagawa you buy the inshi at the cashier in bldg C and then go to the bldg A user shaken desk (#7). There is no special lane for re-test so you use the regular lanes, which are 5, 6 or 7 for normal passenger vehicles at Shinagawa. The inspectors were extremely helpful and kind since I was doing this on my own. I went to the first station (the multi-tester) and just did the brake tests (foot and parking) and then to the pit where the guy checked the handbrake cable. They had checked the box for failed pit inspection as well because the guy looked at why I failed the parking brake test originally. I guess one could jam the caliper to "cheat" on the handbrake test.

The test is more rigorous than what they do the in the U.S. but I think it is comparable to Sweden, for example. One part of the test that is less rigorous than the U.S. (urban areas thereof) is emissions where the Japanese test is just done at idle. This is surprising since they have the rollers for the brake and speedo test. Actually, in Virginia they don't even bother with the actual emissions test but just tap into the computer if the vehicle is post 1996 (vast majority today obviously), which is when OBDII became compulsory.

Comment

• Thanks for the post, very interesting

Comment

• Originally posted by kurogane View Post
                            Those are cool.

I had one. Felt like a diplomat.

As always, good advice, Bland.

I just want to ask , what are the requirements needed for the RED STRIPE/PLATE? and how much does it cost?

Comment

• Just an update for others too. I recently got my shaken done as well. Expired 3 months back, but didn't bother because of long working hours and not needing the car. I finally decided to get it done so after a long time standing in the parking spot (about 3 months) The battery was dead etc etc... I know.. but I was not arsed to disconnect or anything because the batery was giving some trouble when it was real cold, so it had to get a replacement anyway.

Long story short. Not to miss work, got a company, they towed, fixed and did the shaken on a chrystler and delivered it back home again. Cost me 105,000. Not that bad I though, not sure what the average is though since it is the first time I got it done. So that is just a ball park figure to work with for future blokes needing the same sort of thing.

Comment

• I did this a few months ago and just got around to writing about it on my blog.

Feel free to see my experience here - http://followrory.blogspot.jp/2013/0...-in-japan.html

Comment

Working...
                                X