Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

fuel surcharge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel surcharge

so now that the price of oil is dropping is the fuel surcharge as well or is this a permanent addition to the cost of a flight?

i hate the fuel surcharge! there was never such a thing under clinton!

ANA just increased their fuel charges once again on October 10th!!

I am booking a return flight to Singapore for departure on Dec. 5th. The fuel charges I got quoted are as follows:

ANA 20,000 yen

UA 15,600 yen

JAL 20,000 yen

SQ 14,000 yen

Also, ANA, JAL and SQ charge a flight insurance fee. 600 yen for ANA and JAL, 1200 yen for SQ.

When all is said and done, I'm still flying SQ cause they have the best service!!

Comment

I am afraid the surcharge is here to stay. Though I am no oil futures analyst, common sense tells me that with a finite amount of oil left on the planet, prices will fluctuate. It makes no sense for the airlines to alter their prices around the market. The airlines have dropped the gauntlet; passengers now accept that if they want to fly, they have to pay for the privilege. Gone are the days of discount fares. Airlines have wised up to reality that they make their money from premium fares. Those in the back don't get nuttin' since they have only paid for the space that they occupy. That means fuel surcharges, minimum on-board services, and reduced mileage awards as compared to premium cabins. Airlines don't make money flying full cabins of Y passengers, they make their nut by fling capacity loads of J and F cabins and full cargo holds.

Comment

Yes, it's been quite a distressing day for me today trying to book a Chrissy trip back home to Aus.
        The flights are upwards of 170,000 yen, and I just can't afford that. I remember paying 90,000 yen back in the day
        The Singapore Airines website actually wants to charge me 500,000 yen. Out of control. I might have to go digging for oil myself and BYO....

Comment

yeah that is a bummer

i just paid 22.000 yen as my fuel surcharge.

i got a decent price though on korean air to los angeles for xmas

it cost about 76.000

had to extend my stay to get a price drop.

Comment

Just a fact of life unfortunately. Nothing at all we can do about it.

Fuel surcharges should have dropped a little bit though, given that oil has pushed back somewhat in price.

Comment

Fuel surcharge will not go down as company want money. Just like gas use for home, I keep getting letters telling me that the price is going to be higher.

Comment

Whatfs up with these surcharges? It used to be when you bought an airline ticket, the cost of the fuel was included in the ticket. They should just raise the price of the ticket and say it is more expensive because of higher fuel costs, rather than add surcharges.

Nobody expects the supply of oil to go up, or the demand to go down; higher prices for airline tickets are here to stay.

Comment

Raise the ticket? Mmm... Don't you wonder what are you paying for everytime you travel? The serivce? Is it good? The seat? or the rent of the aircraft? Now we are paying for the fuel and if you are traveling with budget airlines, it is free seating and you have to pay for the inflight meal. Will the big airlines coem to that point?

Comment

This is Captain Kurogane speaking

Originally posted by acekidd
                    Raise the ticket? Mmm... Don't you wonder what are you paying for everytime you travel? The serivce? Is it good? The seat? or the rent of the aircraft? Now we are paying for the fuel and if you are traveling with budget airlines, it is free seating and you have to pay for the inflight meal. Will the big airlines coem to that point?
                    You can rent aircraft? Where can you rent aircraft?

I got me a bunch of fridges I need to move.

Could you send me the number of the aircraft rental agency?

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane
                      You can rent aircraft? Where can you rent aircraft?

I got me a bunch of fridges I need to move.

Could you send me the number of the aircraft rental agency?
                      Hi Kurogane
                      I don't know what your point but here the number you ask:
                      Inter Airlines +902423104464
                      BAC +441702209150
                      Skyways +441753832088

Comment

You da man!

Originally posted by acekidd
                        Hi Kurogane
                        I don't know what your point but here the number you ask:
                        Inter Airlines +902423104464
                        BAC +441702209150
                        Skyways +441753832088
                        Hey,

Thanks man. I'll give them a call.

If I can get one, wanna go for a ride? Just you, me, Steeny, Homesweethome, and a bunch of fridges and jugglers.

We might take along Ken Elwood, just coz we need a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane
                          Hey,

Thanks man. I'll give them a call.

If I can get one, wanna go for a ride? Just you, me, Steeny, Homesweethome, and a bunch of fridges and jugglers.

We might take along Ken Elwood, just coz we need a truck.

where to and where from?

Comment

Outrageous fortunes (for some)

THis is outrageous!, he exclaimed.

Right, what happened to the days of having the cost of running the aircraft INCLUDED in the price?

Fuel surcharge my arse.
                            What's next, vacume cleaner filters? Anti Freeze?

It has nothing to do with crude barrel prices. It's simply an opportunity for an industry to make more money from a captive market.
                            Nothin' new.

Though it's still much cheaper than booking thru the airlines, themselves, as one person put it, the discount days are over.

Comment

I have since managed to book a flight for ¥125,370, all mickey mouse taxes included.

Comment

Working...
                              X