Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Travel time to Narita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel time to Narita

Need a wee bit of advice here from you Tokyo dwellers. I live in Osaka and flying home this Chrismas on Virgin direct from Tokyo. Can't get a domestic flight from Kansai or Itami as already sold out. My questions are firstly, how long should i allow from Tokyo station to Narita T1 check in? And secondly, on the return, I wanna book a shinkansen back to Osaka (Jan. 4th gonna be busy as hell) but don't know what time to book it for. How long should I allow from arrival time, through the bullsh*t , and back to Tokyo station??

Originally posted by ballbags
    Need a wee bit of advice here from you Tokyo dwellers. I live in Osaka and flying home this Chrismas on Virgin direct from Tokyo. Can't get a domestic flight from Kansai or Itami as already sold out. My questions are firstly, how long should i allow from Tokyo station to Narita T1 check in?
    If you take the Narita express, it takes about an hour. From there I think you need to head to the top level to get to departures.
    And secondly, on the return, I wanna book a shinkansen back to Osaka (Jan. 4th gonna be busy as hell) but don't know what time to book it for. How long should I allow from arrival time, through the bullsh*t , and back to Tokyo station??
    This is where it gets sticky. Provided your plane is on time and your luggage isn't the last to come out, I'd say give yourself a minimum of an hour between the time your plane lands and the time you're scheduled to take the NEX. Give yourself another hour to get back to Tokyo and maybe another 30 minutes to get to the Shinkansen considering it's at the other end of the station.

Comment

What time is your flight due in to Narita on the 4th? I agree with the sound advice given to you and would add that I would make a reservation on the shinkansen (and maybe NEX if u can) for the latest time possible. I mean if you are due in at 4pm why not try for a ticket at 8 or 9pm from Tokyo? Long waits are better than missed connections.

Have a great trip.

Comment

Wow, thanks to you both! So it's gonna take an hour to get through immigration and the baggage claim? Blimey! In Kansai i'm through in 15-20 minutes.

Phoebe, my flight is due to arrive at 10am. Are you saying I should book a shinkansen for, say 1pm - 2pm? I agree it's better to be waiting around a bit than to miss the damn thing.

Is the NEX a tokkyu? (I need a surcharge ticket?)

Number6, do I need to exit the station to change to the NEX from Shinkansen? 30mins seems a long way away. Is this to include the extra delays due to holiday overcrowding?

Comment

Wow, thanks to you both! So it's gonna take an hour to get through immigration and the baggage claim? Blimey! In Kansai i'm through in 15-20 minutes.
          Immigration, if you have a re-entry permit and there's not a lot of people in front of you, shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Waiting for your bags can take a few minutes to 30 minutes depending on when they actually come out.
          Phoebe, my flight is due to arrive at 10am. Are you saying I should book a shinkansen for, say 1pm - 2pm? I agree it's better to be waiting around a bit than to miss the damn thing.
          I'd say yes.
          Is the NEX a tokkyu? (I need a surcharge ticket?)
          You need a ticket period. They run about 3000 yen.
          Number6, do I need to exit the station to change to the NEX from Shinkansen? 30mins seems a long way away. Is this to include the extra delays due to holiday overcrowding?
          It's in the same station, but at opposite ends and levels. The 30 minutes takes into account the chance that the NEX might be late, and then having to push your way through the throngs of people that will be rushing to get to where they're trying to get to all the while dragging your luggage with you. I would say 10 minutes on a good day from the time you leave one to the time you actually sit down in the other. But as this is not a "good day" and will most likely be extremely busy, give yourself the time.

Comment

Number6, you have been promoted to Number2. Excellent information. Cheers!

Comment

NEX Is A Rip

Need a wee bit of advice here from you Tokyo dwellers. I live in Osaka and flying home this Chrismas on Virgin direct from Tokyo. Can't get a domestic flight from Kansai or Itami as already sold out. My questions are firstly, how long should i allow from Tokyo station to Narita T1 check in? And secondly, on the return, I wanna book a shinkansen back to Osaka (Jan. 4th gonna be busy as hell) but don't know what time to book it for. How long should I allow from arrival time, through the bullsh*t , and back to Tokyo station??
              The Yokosuka line has an express train going to Narita. It is only about 30 minutes longer and costs about half as much as the NEX. You would have to check the schedule but I think they have a train about once every hour.

The NEX is poorly designed, they could have fit at least twice as many seats in it. It is way overpriced, and they have a green car for goodness sakes, that about a rip off.

The NEX reminds me of Narita airport, a total waste.

Comment

rubirosa, thanks dude.

Comment

Working...
                X