Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

The Vent About J-Drivers Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today, there was a car parked in the small, pull-over area before a short, one-lane tunnel. It created a bit of a mess when an oncoming car in the tunnel met the car in front of me, who had no place to pull over. I had to back up--as well as the car in front of me--to a place in the road wide enough for two cars to pass as another car approached me from the rear. This car that had approached me from the rear didn't realized what was going on and tried to pass, only to see a car coming at her. So she had to stop, back up past and then behind me to allow this car to pass. And, of course, yet another car came up behind this woman trying to back up behind me and start honking the horn in frustration. At this point, laughter won out over anger. All of this absurdity due to one idiot who was too lazy to park in the proper parking lot 50 meters down the road.

Comment

• Yes, parking fools that are oblivious to the world around them. Can't count how many times some fool will just stop the car (no attempt to at least get part of the car off the road) on a road and get out. Have also seen them do this at an intersection, and once even park in the middle of the crosswalk.

Comment

• Traffic Barriers

...why the hell are there so many of them in rural parts? Ruins the beauty of Nature.

If some tool gets his car stuck in a bush or topples into a stream I say f*ck him. Learn to drive better!

Comment

• Originally posted by pjb View Post
          ...why the hell are there so many of them in rural parts? Ruins the beauty of Nature.
          Most of the rural parts of Japan seem so rusty. There is no beauty in there as you need to do some type of maintenance work to keep it beautiful. If I can keep my back yard unattended, with weeds growing, I don't find any beauty in such an unattended natural state.

I guess you cannot expect too much from old folks with one foot in the grave to make it more presentable.

Comment

• I've noticed a distinct class of drivers which I have now termed the "bully drivers." They're exactly like the normal bullies from school, but older and on the road--nothing has changed. I hate these fuocks! They always take the right-of-way, and never slow down for narrow passages. And the Hi Ace vans with the tinted windows always seem to be the biggest as$holes as well as plates with an abundance of 8s. I'm getting even, though, hehehehehehehhehehheh. Beware efftards, damage will be done to your vehicle!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
              I've noticed a distinct class of drivers which I have now termed the "bully drivers." They're exactly like the normal bullies from school, but older and on the road--nothing has changed. I hate these fuocks! They always take the right-of-way, and never slow down for narrow passages. And the Hi Ace vans with the tinted windows always seem to be the biggest as$holes as well as plates with an abundance of 8s. I'm getting even, though, hehehehehehehhehehheh. Beware efftards, damage will be done to your vehicle!
              I have a new one to add to the group... my home sits at an intersection. one direction is well traveled, but they have stop signs that many ignore. This includes kids on bikes, anyone on a motor scooter, and cars. The other direction has the right of way, but for them, the intersection has no view of the cars coming and going from the left or the right.

The trend NOW is for drivers who have the right of way to toot the horn as they approach the intersection to warn the others that they are taking the right of way.... as they speed through the intersection. lovely noise... at all hours.. most have not figured out that if you cannot see other cars, you probably cannot hear a car horn very well either...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                I've noticed a distinct class of drivers which I have now termed the "bully drivers." They're exactly like the normal bullies from school, but older and on the road--nothing has changed. I hate these fuocks! They always take the right-of-way, and never slow down for narrow passages. And the Hi Ace vans with the tinted windows always seem to be the biggest as$holes as well as plates with an abundance of 8s. I'm getting even, though, hehehehehehehhehehheh. Beware efftards, damage will be done to your vehicle!
                Heh, yes, the 8's -- it's actually kind of useful that the ƒn-soles wear a badge to identify themselves...

Comment

• Damn, I can't believe that I only just found this thread. I've been wanting to vent about j-drivers for three years now. Half of them genuinely can't drive, the other half thinks that sitting inside a metal box suddenly allows them to lose all their inhibitions and behave like total a-holes. And 90% of them have no clue about the highway code.

Getting seriously annoyed lately about the 5% who think that the outside lane is for parking. It's ok if you put your hazard lights on, of course, and nobody is using the outside lane anyway. Why the f*ck are there no traffic wardens?

Is it just me or does the government have this (crazy) notion that Japanese people are so well behaved that there is no need to enforce the highway code?

Comment

• Here's an idea worth spreading... http://uk.news.yahoo.com/middle-lane...l?vp=1#VArBntg

Comment

• Originally posted by iago View Post
                      Just overtake them on the leftmost lane. Sometimes this will also serve as a subtle reminder to them to switch lanes.

Things that annoy me about J drivers:
                      - Turning off the lights when stopping at traffic lights, which makes them difficult to see
                      - Slightest drop of rain or even a hint of fog making them drive < 80kph on highways
                      - Tokyo drivers using the highway as their private race track (especially at night) and getting all pissed off if you change lanes late on an otherwise free road
                      - Turning on indicators while turning, as opposed to, to you know, before, to actually indicate your intentions
                      - Drivers who flash their lights at me after overtaking them on the highway (WTF is the point of that?)

Comment

• Originally posted by sleepycat View Post
                        ...- Drivers who flash their lights at me after overtaking them on the highway (WTF is the point of that?)
                        Actually - on a single lane highway, and even on a dual lane highway that is heavy with traffic - that signal is legitimately used (mostly by truckers) to indicate "you have cleared me, and it is safe to re-enter my lane". I use it frequently. Having re-entered the lane, the correct gthank youh is to momentarily cut your lights, or more recently – to briefly use the flashers.

Comment

• Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                          I have a new one to add to the group... my home sits at an intersection. one direction is well traveled, but they have stop signs that many ignore. This includes kids on bikes, anyone on a motor scooter, and cars. The other direction has the right of way, but for them, the intersection has no view of the cars coming and going from the left or the right.

The trend NOW is for drivers who have the right of way to toot the horn as they approach the intersection to warn the others that they are taking the right of way.... as they speed through the intersection. lovely noise... at all hours.. most have not figured out that if you cannot see other cars, you probably cannot hear a car horn very well either...
                          We have this woman who picks up her kid next door, but is too lazy to get out of the car and walk the 3 meters to the front door and ring the bell. So she lays on the horn, disturbing everyone nearby. There's nothing more irritating that being awoken from a blissful afternoon nap by a blaring car horn.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJrandom View Post
                            Actually - on a single lane highway, and even on a dual lane highway that is heavy with traffic - that signal is legitimately used (mostly by truckers) to indicate "you have cleared me, and it is safe to re-enter my lane". I use it frequently. Having re-entered the lane, the correct gthank youh is to momentarily cut your lights, or more recently – to briefly use the flashers.
                            The more you know...

Where I'm from it means "What are you doing?!", "Watch out!", etc.

The way I've been handling the situation so far is using my mirrors and a quick shoulder glance before switching back. If I can see your headlights in my mirror that means I've passed you far enough to pull back in. :s

Comment

• Originally posted by iago View Post
                              Heh, yes, the 8's -- it's actually kind of useful that the ƒn-soles wear a badge to identify themselves...
                              Does 8 have a special meaning or something?

Comment

• Originally posted by wernst View Post
                                Does 8 have a special meaning or something?
                                It's a lucky number in China.

Comment

Working...
                                X