Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Bad british airways

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad british airways

Has anyone ever had a problem with British Airways in Japan? My girlfriend just got back from London and they canceled her flight. They wouldnft rebook her flight, at all. They also wouldnft get her a hotel. After 6 hours, and two extremely rude managers, they finally got her a hotel. They also got her another flight, but not to the correct airport. When she got back to Japan, she discovered they lost all her baggage.

I am currently in the process of writing a letter, in Japanese and English, but was wondering if anyone had any advice. I thought this type service was particularly bad and breach of customer/client contract.

Originally posted by Pinkerton
    Has anyone ever had a problem with British Airways in Japan? My girlfriend just got back from London and they canceled her flight. They wouldnft rebook her flight, at all. They also wouldnft get her a hotel. After 6 hours, and two extremely rude managers, they finally got her a hotel. They also got her another flight, but not to
    the correct airport.
    Sounds like typically British service to me, which is why when I have to go to London I always fly Cathay.

When she got back to Japan, she discovered they lost all her baggage.
    There's a reason why they call it London Thiefrow. Baggage insurance should cover this. Not having baggage insurance when transiting Heathrow is unwise.

I am currently in the process of writing a letter, in Japanese and English, but was wondering if anyone had any advice. I thought this type service was particularly bad and breach of customer/client contract.
    Airlines tend to disclaim anything and everything, and things like the Warsaw Convention let them get away with it.

I would address the letter, in English, to their head office in London and point out things like reputational damage and demand some compensation or you'll involve the press. You can CC it wherever you like, but make sure it goes to the head office as well, particularly as the trouble occurred in London.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkerton
      Has anyone ever had a problem with British Airways in Japan? My girlfriend just got back from London and they canceled her flight. They wouldnft rebook her flight, at all. They also wouldnft get her a hotel. After 6 hours, and two extremely rude managers, they finally got her a hotel. They also got her another flight, but not to the correct airport. When she got back to Japan, she discovered they lost all her baggage.

What kind of ticket fare was she on? Fully firm or a discount ticket? Why was the flight cancelled. Who did she book her ticket through? Where was the baggage lost?

In the case of a cancelled flight or being bumped because you were on a discount ticket because the flight was over booked you can call your travel agent to negotiate with the airline. That is if you are on speaking terms with them.

What kind of manager did she talk to?

You could contact customer services or even give a call to the terminal manager for BA to follow up on this.

Comment

Sue them in Japanese small claims court. They probably won't show, she wins, they get Sherrifed for the damages.

Any Uni with a law faculty will offer free advice on alternate Saturdays.

If you need help googling on that, call for it.

Comment

Fly Cathay Pacific or Singapore

You're wasting your money and time with British Airways. The usual chaos of Heathrow has been tripled with all the higher security alerts that have been usual since all the bombings and bombing threats in the UK.

It's well worth flying Cathay Pacific and having to spend one night in Hong Kong. Sure, a lot of the year your hotel room will smell a bit mouldy but it's worth it. You feel fresh and you're flying with an airline that serves wonderful food, has nice but firm stewards who do the right thing by polite customers but will be nicely assertive with idiots, and is security savvy without being rude fascists.

I just can't understand why anybody would fly British Airways. It's been a crummy, rude airline for years. If you can't go on Cathay, try Singapore which ranks a close 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane
            Sue them in Japanese small claims court. They probably won't show, she wins, they get Sherrifed for the damages.

Any Uni with a law faculty will offer free advice on alternate Saturdays.

If you need help googling on that, call for it.
            That's an interesting idea! (small claims court)

Here's an article that provides many of the necessary details on how to go about it:

http://www.accj.or.jp/document_libra...ture4jul04.pdf

You're right about the "no show" rule. On top of that, I guess the plantiff could then (theoretically) seize BA office equipment or the like if they refused to pay!

The negative publicity would be great regardless -- I'd contact their arch-rival Virgin Air for additional 'support'.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterling
              That's an interesting idea! (small claims court).
              Yeah. BA is sure to have enough of a legal corporate presence that the plaintiff could dock them even if they try to avoid the suit.

I like using the law where even fisticuffs don't provide satisfaction!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles.
                The best airline to travel directly to the UK is Virgin.
                They are efficiant, reliable and great customer service. BA has alot to learn from them.

Unfortunatly because of this they are also very popular. I have to fly BA this summer because Virgin is fully booked.

I was in the customer service industry for over 15 years, my background is hotel management.
                I can tell you that what is very bad for any business is bad publicity, especially in Japan. So writing about this on a forum was a good move..tell BA what you have done!!

I always taught my staff that is you upset one cutomer, then at least 20 people will hear about it... this is a proven fact. And because of this I taught them to deal with any complaint immidiatly and fairly and calmley as possible, NEVER appear to be rude or un-interested.

I know that BA has regular training sessions on customer care (a good friend of mine used to conducts them at Heathrow) and they teach their staff exactly the same, but obviously the training failed with your G/F.

So what I recommend you do.
                Write a stinking letter to BA, and tell them about your experience with them, also tell them that you travel regually with Virgin, and will certainly not give BA your custom in the future (they hate that)

And don't care about little middle managers, go straight to the top, Willi Walsh (CEO)

By the time your letter has been passed down the chain of command, there should be some red faces.
                Always some little under manager is looking to impress his boss, so getting a complaint sent down from the Head Office never looks good, as every department above you has seen what an ass you have been.

Small claims too is a good idear, it proves that your complaint is genuine and you meen business!!

Finally ALWAYS ask the name of a manager or supervisor when you complain. It will make sure that they do their job properly....so start off with a smile, then politely thier name..Then go straight for the neck and spare no punches!! catching them off guard works wonders!!

PS keep copies of any letter you write and recieve
                Last edited by Richardo; 2007-07-09, 03:05 PM.

Comment

When Virgin started it's service out of Heathrow they purposely over sold seats on their flights. At the time there was an agreement between airlines that they would automatically take over booked passengers onto their flights. Because of Virgin's tactics this became a very sour point in airline relations.

It's not just Virgin who did this but they were very good at over-selling seats. What happened was that by over-selling seats they could purposely bump discount ticket flyers onto other airlines. I.e. British Airways and B.A. would have to accept them. This meant lower revenue for B.A. and much more profit for Virgin.

Nowadays, because of such practices getting placed on another flight is a little more difficult.

I agree though that Virgin is a great service out of Tokyo, especially for Economy passengers. The Upper Class lounge was pants, in Tokyo, as it was shared with another airline when I used to fly to Tokyo on business every week.

The Upper Class lounge in Heathrow is the proverbial dogs b'llx. I haven't seen a better lounge than this in my years of business travel.

The only gripe I had with Virgin was that they often have problems with their entertainment system. Imagine a flight with no video. Ok, in Upper Class you got the hand held movie players but some flights really blew without the entertainment system. In compensation they offered a 15-20 pound voucher. Not really great.

Now I travel always with a PMP for such occasions being a non-sleeper.

However, British Airways business class outstrips Virgin by far. The new seats and service just blow Virgin away and considering you are flying a 747 and not 767 there is way much more room. Another gripe about Virgin was the lack of space after they took the smoking lounge area off board to add more seats to that section.

Economy class though. Go with Virgin I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                  X