Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Cheapest Flight out of Japan (To Renew Tourist Visa)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest Flight out of Japan (To Renew Tourist Visa)

Hey everyone:

I searched through the forums and didn't quite get a best answer for my question. Hopefully someone can lend some advice.

I'll be arriving in Japan in about a week on a 90-day tourist visa. I currently only have a one-way entry ticket. I've been dragging my feet and haven't quite purchased the exit flight from Japan and i'm doing that now. I'm just not sure what destination and what airline combination would give me the cheapest flight.

I've tried searching for flights to Hong Kong and Korea which I heard would be fairly inexpensive. As a holder of both US and Taiwan passports, I'd be able issued a visa on arrival. However everything is in the $400 USD range.

My only intention is to show Japanese officials that I have an exit flight. I may or may not use this plane flight, depending on what happens in 90 days. I may decide to go travel somewhere else to come back to Japan to get a fresh 90 days. But at this time, I'm just interested in showing that I have an exit flight.

Can anyone lend some advice?

Thanks.

I just tried the H.I.S. site <http://www.his-j.com/index.html> and they had available a return fare to Hong Kong mid April departure, late April return for Y12,700, which amounts to Y20,030 when you add fuel surcharge and taxes.

It's possible to buy this on the net with a credit card, but it's all in Japanese and requires Japanese software and a Japanese address. The other downside is that, because it involves a bulk booking of seats, your name may not be actually entered into the flight schedule for a while yet. So you wouldn't be in immigration's computer, but you would have a hard copy printout of your purchase and receipt.

Or you could get a return ticket to Pusan on the Kanpu ferry <http://www.kampuferry.co.jp/> for Y17,100. Get a friend in Japan to buy you the ticket at any branch of JTB and then courier or fax it to you. A one-way ticket would be Y9,000.
    Last edited by YokohamaYamate; 2008-03-25, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll try, but I don't think this will happen. If anyone has other alternatives i'm open to it!

Originally posted by YokohamaYamate
      I just tried the H.I.S. site <http://www.his-j.com/index.html> and they had available a return fare to Hong Kong mid April departure, late April return for Y12,700, which amounts to Y20,030 when you add fuel surcharge and taxes.

It's possible to buy this on the net with a credit card, but it's all in Japanese and requires Japanese software and a Japanese address. The other downside is that, because it involves a bulk booking of seats, your name may not be actually entered into the flight schedule for a while yet. So you wouldn't be in immigration's computer, but you would have a hard copy printout of your purchase and receipt.

Or you could get a return ticket to Pusan on the Kanpu ferry <http://www.kampuferry.co.jp/> for Y17,100. Get a friend in Japan to buy you the ticket at any branch of JTB and then courier or fax it to you. A one-way ticket would be Y9,000.

Comment

Found my own solution

I'm not sure why I didn't think about this earlier. After stressing about this for the last couple days (and some very insightful help from YokohamaYamate thx!) it dawned on me that I could just purchase a refundable ticket.

Some of you may or may not be aware that airlines offer tickets which are very flexible - you can change your flight dates as well as completely cancel the ticket without penalty.

In other words, if you cancel the ticket you get 100% of your money back. The draw back is that the tickets are often expensive. For me the ticket from KIX to LAX is over $2400 USD. So you'll take a short term hit on your credit card, especially if you will need to pay it off initially. But I've confirmed with the airlines (in my case American Airlines) that i'll receive a 100% refund back to my CC.

So thats the way I'm going in on.

Comment

You've chosen the best outcome. If you can pay with an offshore credit card, you'll make an exchange-rate profit when the USD regains its value!

Comment

Keep in mind that it's getting harder and harder to get new tourist visas by just flying out of the country for a week or two. Good chance you'd be denied entry unless you waited several months, at least.

On the upside you probably will not be asked to show your return flight. But it's always good to have. I suggest booking a REAL flight though, because even if you found work within 90 days, you wouldn't get a working visa approved in 90 days, and you can't wait out the process in Japan after your visa runs out, and you cannot get an extension/renewal for it either, so chances are you'll have to go home first anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by xHime View Post
              Keep in mind that it's getting harder and harder to get new tourist visas by just flying out of the country for a week or two. Good chance you'd be denied entry unless you waited several months, at least.
              Really? First I've heard anything of this. Got more info?

Comment

Originally posted by Effected After View Post
                Really? First I've heard anything of this. Got more info?
                Well it's not like immigration posts a list of everyone who gets denied entry or why, but it's pretty common knowledge even on this website that leaving for a week, especially to go to another country and not your home country, just to come right back pisses off immigration. If they're grumpy and decide you must be doing this because you're working illegally, they won't let you in. Many people get denied on visa runs, more so now than in the past.

Comment

Working...
                X