Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

China visa from Tokyo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China visa from Tokyo

I'm planning to take a 5-day trip to Shanghai soon. Should be sweet.

Has anyone got a tourist visa to China recently? (I heard the visa rules changed recently.) How do you get a visa from Tokyo?

I'm Australian, living in Tokyo. Any thoughts from you wise GPers would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Captain Jim; 2008-04-28, 12:57 PM.

Originally posted by Captain Jim
    Has anyone got a tourist visa to China recently? (I heard the visa rules changed recently.) How do you get a visa in Tokyo?
    go to chinese embassy, tokyo

Comment

you can also pay a travel company to do all the leg work for you. It's not that expensive to have done, but i can't quote you a price cause i did it a few years back.

yes, the visa laws have changed recently cause of the Olympics. don't be too surprised if you have a hard time.

best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Jim
        I'm planning to take a 5-day trip to Shanghai soon. Should be sweet.

Has anyone got a tourist visa to China recently? (I heard the visa rules changed recently.) How do you get a visa from Tokyo?

I'm Australian, living in Tokyo. Any thoughts from you wise GPers would be appreciated.
        Probably best to get the travel agent to do it. And don't write "journalist" (or Tibetan Monk) on the visa application and all should be fine. Many years back my wife wrote it (Journalist, not Tibet Monk) and the travel agent whited it out and told her to write "housewife".

You may not want to write "Ozzie" either, but that's true when going to any country...(insert smiley face here).

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Yes, getting the travel agent to do the work sounds like a good plan rather than trekking down to the embassy. Yes, there were a few protests in Australia for the torch run, so they might not like Ozzies. No protests in North Korea though - might be time to convert.

Comment

Hi,

I just came back from Shanghai, gorgeous city. I arranged everything thru my travel agent during May, and had no problems at all. I'm Brazilian (long-time resident here) and an American coworker (2 months here on work visa) who travelled with me had no issues either.

In the past months I've been hearing that the Chinese consulates around the world are tightening the visas for Americans (no reference to ozzies), but the travel agent said that the one in Tokyo is not too harsh on the foreigners here. If you submit everything, including a copy of your return ticket, you should be fine.

Good luck mate ;-)

Comment

chinese visa in tokyo

The Chinese embassy is quite easy to get to from Rappongi station. It closes at 12.00 every week day, but if you get in before they close, they will see you. You need 1 photo, passport and photocopies of main name page and current japanese visa page, as well as both sides of your gaijin card if you have one. Plus a print out of your flight to china and addresses of where you will stay in China, and ideally name of a local friend or contact. I didn't have my e-ticket printed out and dont have a printer so had to run to the 6th floor in rappongi hills mall, where there is a little internet shop with a printer, (hard to see, tucked away inside a dry cleaning shop) and just made it back before 12:00 I didnt have any hotels in China booked, so just made a couple up, and all should be fine.

Comment

Working...
              X