Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Car key is lost, can I make a copy?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car key is lost, can I make a copy?

My buddy I mentioned in the accomodation post who lost all of his stuff, told me that his keys were among his belongings that were thrown away!

...BUT he knows the key model number and the type of car/year, etc.

Question is:

Can he get a copy made with that information alone from a Mazda dealer (car is Mazda btw)? If so, I bet they don't just make copies of keys for anyone, will he need to present some forms showing he owns the car?

thanks again guys.

Your friend wouldn't happen to coincidentally be called sam.

Higher a locksmith, its cheaper. They could dup the key from the ignition port.

If you don't have these services, go to the delaer with the vehicles registration and pay. It will take up too a week or two.

Comment

He better bring some sort of ownership identification.

Comment

his name is "Tkyo" actually

Thanks for the info guys, he just came back from vacation today and is staying w/ me in Chiba at the moment, but his car (as well as his stuff) is in Kofu, so he was just wondering if he could get it done here while he some free time.

thanks again guys, will do.

-sam

Comment

Originally posted by tkyosam View Post
          Can he get a copy made with that information alone from a Mazda dealer (car is Mazda btw)? If so, I bet they don't just make copies of keys for anyone, will he need to present some forms showing he owns the car?

thanks again guys.
          What the dealer will need is:
          car registration
          time to rip off a door

There is a number on the lock inside the door. They need that to make the key. You pay, they make. Your friend likely does not need i.d. but it's not a bad idea to take it along.

It should not take 2 weeks. More like a while-you-wait thing. Or a couple of hours if they are busy. Plan on about an hour.

Comment

I think what Snake means when he says car is rego is the chassis number. Just take a copy of the shakensho with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fugnuts View Post
              I think what Snake means when he says car is rego is the chassis number. Just take a copy of the shakensho with you.
              What the snake means is that the registration (shakensho) is required to get some number off - it very well may be the chassis number. Here's the catch 22: you need keys to get the car to the dealer to make the keys. Looks like you will have to arrange pick up as well, although I imagine if they bring their tools, they can peel your door apart on site, because they will need the number of the lock chamber in the door.

Unless, of course, you have the piece of paper that came with the car (when purchased new) that shows the number on the lock chamber. In that case, providing that and the number needed from the registration will get you a replacement key.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X