Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Airasia in Japan in 2009.. any news ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airasia in Japan in 2009.. any news ??

Last year, the CEO of Airasia mentionned that his company will launch relugar flights to 3 Japanese destination.
    It has been said that this would be done by the end of 2009.

However, end 2009 is approaching and I have heard no news about it.
    My question is : does anybody have any information about this case ?
    Will Airasia really fly from / to Japan ?
    That would be quite great to save some bucks on international travel...

I hope to hear some positive news soon...

The head of Air Asia X said on a blog in June this year:

"Regretfully, we are still not able to launch flights to Japan. We can definitely rule out 2009. Many hurdles to overcome."

Apparently, he had been in Japan for talks about they didn't seem to get anywhere.

Comment

if they had air asia in japan the japanese carriers would be suffering from low cost fares that airasia offer, so maybe that the reason of the many hurdles...

Comment

A lot of Japanese prefer quality over price so stick with the bigger names. I am loving Cebu Pacific's flights to Phillippines for dirt cheap and Jetstar bargains. AirAsia would be fantastic if they came out here, I can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by White_C View Post
          A lot of Japanese prefer quality over price so stick with the bigger names.
          People USED TO say that a lot in the 1980s to mid-90s. Then things like 100-yen shops, Uniglo, netbooks, etc., came along to show that it was really just a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by Koenji View Post
            People USED TO say that a lot in the 1980s to mid-90s. Then things like 100-yen shops, Uniglo, netbooks, etc., came along to show that it was really just a myth.
            hmmm, good point, but Air Asia is known for their terrible record on flight delays - that could cause some major friction the way that Japanese love for everything to be on the dot punctual.

Personally, I think it's a comfortable and friendly airline, but I've never flown with them and not been delayed. In SE Asia, that's just part of life, but in Japan?

Comment

Here is the reply from Azran, Airasia's executive, whom I asked about their plans about CTS airport (Sapporo) :

"Thanks for your feedback Romain.
              Sapporo-Chitose is on our expansion plans, and we have already engaged with the Citose Airport authorities and Hokkaido government.
              However, Japan is a complex market that requires a lot of set-up work to operate it well.
              Very unlikely we'll be in a position to do Sapporo in 2010.
              Could be open for some special charters during ski season. "

visible here : http://blog.airasia.com/index.php/yokoso-japan , bottom of the page

Comment

I gathered the biggest issue they faced (besides high landing fees) was the Japanese govt's unwillingness to relax visa requirements for Malaysian nationals.

Apparently it's tough to get a tourist visa for Japan if you're Malaysian, which kind of lowers demand for cheap Malaysia-Japan flights.

The other issues are, I think, high landing fees and lack of tourism marketing support.

Comment

Originally posted by rpl22 View Post
                  Last year, the CEO of Airasia mentionned that his company will launch relugar flights to 3 Japanese destination.
                  It has been said that this would be done by the end of 2009.

However, end 2009 is approaching and I have heard no news about it.
                  My question is : does anybody have any information about this case ?
                  Will Airasia really fly from / to Japan ?
                  That would be quite great to save some bucks on international travel...

I hope to hear some positive news soon...

AirAsia flights from Handea to Kuala Lumpur will begin in December. Booking opens on-line tomorrow. Better be quick with that mouse to get the advertised 'from' 5,000JPY fare! (As far as I could see from their web-site yesterday, the fare from Japan to Malaysia is more than the return journey - probably due to higher taxes at Haneda). You have to pay for extras, including checked-in luggage and on-board food. But, even with these, the fares can be atonishingly cheap. Best to take hand luggage only if you can (remember it's always hot in Malaysia, so you won't need many clothes!) - a good exercise in travelling light.

For anyone who hasn't flown with AirAsia, they're the best low-cost carrier I've ever used. Very impressive in terms of what they deliver in relation to the cost.

Remember, the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Kuala Lumpur isn't the same as Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). It serves the same runways but is several kilometres away from the original KLIA. You can't get into KL directly by train, for example - you have to take a bus (about 250JPY) for the one hour, 15 minute journey to central KL. The LCCT is a temporary building, but more than adequate for what it does.

Other airlines will undoubtedly respond (e.g. Malaysia Airways) but their product and operational structure means they're unlikely to be able to compete on price with AirAsia.

Comment

Originally posted by ksnasi lurker View Post
                    AirAsia flights from Handea to Kuala Lumpur will begin in December. Booking opens on-line tomorrow. Better be quick with that mouse to get the advertised 'from' 5,000JPY fare! (As far as I could see from their web-site yesterday, the fare from Japan to Malaysia is more than the return journey - probably due to higher taxes at Haneda). You have to pay for extras, including checked-in luggage and on-board food. But, even with these, the fares can be atonishingly cheap. Best to take hand luggage only if you can (remember it's always hot in Malaysia, so you won't need many clothes!) - a good exercise in travelling light.

For anyone who hasn't flown with AirAsia, they're the best low-cost carrier I've ever used. Very impressive in terms of what they deliver in relation to the cost.

Remember, the Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Kuala Lumpur isn't the same as Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). It serves the same runways but is several kilometres away from the original KLIA. You can't get into KL directly by train, for example - you have to take a bus (about 250JPY) for the one hour, 15 minute journey to central KL. The LCCT is a temporary building, but more than adequate for what it does.

Other airlines will undoubtedly respond (e.g. Malaysia Airways) but their product and operational structure means they're unlikely to be able to compete on price with AirAsia.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/p...a-x-on-the-way

always on top of things....

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
                      The comments that people have left in response to the Japan Today article are really ignorant. Obviously most people who left them have never actually used AirAsia.

I'm not here to promote budget airlines (RyanAir, for example, are dire) but people need to understand that they use a totally different business model compared to traditional carriers. Anyway, like RyanAir boss Michael O'Leary - to his credit - says, "If you don't like us, don't fly with us. Plenty others will..."

Comment

I plan to book with them but what are the cancellation charges with them? Can you still cancel and get most of your money back?

Comment

Originally posted by forest View Post
                          I plan to book with them but what are the cancellation charges with them? Can you still cancel and get most of your money back?

if you cancel, you must take two flights to Malaysia as a penalty....

Comment

Originally posted by forest View Post
                            No - no refunds if you cancel. All part of the deal...

Comment

hello

Not sure about airasia but i Saw this on GaijinPot, http://injapan.gaijinpot.com/2010/09...s-y5000-fares/.

If ANA goes ahead with that it will be amazing and cheap to travel within Japan and its local international neighbours. So i'm hoping that atleast goes ahead :-P

Comment

Working...
                              X