Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Cheap flights to Aus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap flights to Aus

I'm going back to Australia for xmas and was wondering if anyone knows any cheap companies to go through to get tickets. Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by qwertyuiop View Post
    I'm going back to Australia for xmas and was wondering if anyone knows any cheap companies to go through to get tickets.
    Jetstar
    http://www.jetstar.com

Comment

Christmas time travel back to Oz will be expensive regardless who you book through.

It's the peak time of the year - not only fellow koala kickers are heading back for a real Christmas of sun and beach,but koala huggers (read Japanese) will be heading there.

Try to fly back before December 18 and come back after January 10. A few days on either side of those dates could add a few extra yen..

Try to book on Korean Air (cheapest over all), Philippines Airlines (not the safest).

JAL might have some deal as they try to lure folks back to their struggling bosom.

Jetstar are not worth it.

JUst shop around yourself now online.

Comment

If you can get jetstar REALLY cheap then it's worth it. If the prices are only "slightly cheap", then I would pay the extra and go with the others for sure.

My jetstar flight had a broken engine part in the Gold Coast (on route from Sydney to Tokyo) and we had to be put up over night in a hotel while they fixed the plane because they had no spare parts in Gold Coast. Everyone was super tired as the whole situation took hours to communicate the news to everyone and hours to bus everyone to hotels and check in etc.

That said they offered to pay expenses, meals, the hotel costs and also gave each person $200 in future jetstar vouchers as compensation. After serious begging, whinging and negotiating with them on the phone at 10pm, we got on a JAL flight the next morning, but had to be bused to Brisbane :P

And now 2.5 months later, we still don't have all the money that jetstar owe us from the extra expenses. Chasing that up has been a major pain the bum. So we are slil out of pocket.
        Call centre nightmares "Oh we never received your receipts in the mail, please post them AGAIN from Japan, please fix it here, there and everywhere, oh no sorry it can't be faxed, just post it " etc etc etc. A nightmare, just to chase up $400 of expenses.

In future, I would definitely go JAL if the prices were not that much more than jetstar. I'd fly jetstar again only if I got the flights for a couple of hundred bucks, because then you're almost getting to Oz for free etc, the value is really great sometimes when they have the big sales.

Comment

Originally posted by fortcher View Post
          If you can get jetstar REALLY cheap then it's worth it. If the prices are only "slightly cheap", then I would pay the extra and go with the others for sure.
          I've looked into Jetstar myself and considered it but, after hearing similar horror stories like yours, have decided 'no'.

It is just too risky.

Comment

Yeah fair call. When I say "really cheap" I'm talking $200-$300 buck etc. We got both tickets to Tokyo for $660 total cost including extra leg room for 2 people. Pretty super cheap.

That said, it was sucky start to this working holiday :P

Which site do you use to book your flights from Japan?

Comment

Finally got 2 tickets with China airlines... Don't know if they're good or bad, but if they're average or above i'll be happy. I'm leaving on Dec 23rd and coming back on Jan 8th and it's 114,000 yen all in. Not bad considering i'm booking so late. That was with No1 Travel.

I flew with Jetstar last year around a similar time and won't be doing it again! Not unless i get the really cheap tickets-then it's worthwhile putting up with the minimal-service travel. I flew from Narita - Sydney and on the way to Sydney i had to change at brisbane and get a domestic flight to Sydney. THis was a PAIN IN THE ___ coz i had to get my bags, walk to the domestic terminal and check in again. THe flight landed late too, so i was ____ting myself about making the Sydney flight on time...

Also no food and drink, blankets or TVs make for a pretty boring flight unless you've got some good books in your carry-on. And the plane was full of about 30 vodka-swilling Russians who were bullying everyone else into changing their seats so they could all sit together. Then we weren't allowed to get off the plane when we finally landed back in Tokyo, coz one Russian got pissed, groped a stewardess and refused to hand over the vodka that he'd smuggled onto the flight, so we were detained while the police came on board and took the lout away! Not Jetstar's fault maybe but that's the kind of thing you experience occasionally when going for the cheap tickets...

Comment

I booked with Jetstar earlier this year.

Read lots of bad reports on the net. Was not looking forward to the flight, but decided not to change.

The flight was fine. The cabin crew were neither excellent or terrible. Average trip.

On the way back my bags were 2kg over. The check in staff get a commission on fees charged for over weight bags (this was confirmed by a family member who works at the Gold Coast Airport) The staff let it pass, no fee!

Flight back was fine too.

Hope yours goes as well.

As for JAL...never met a more stuck up, rude, slack group of flight attendants on any flight I`ve been on. JAL, never again.
                Would like to try Japans National Airline, ANA, but they don`t fly to Australia.

Comment

Eek excess baggage commissions.

I agree, most Jetstar flights I've been on have been fine. If I can get a super cheap ticket, I'll still go with them. But for a comparable price, I would choose another airline.

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyuiop View Post
                    Finally got 2 tickets with China airlines... Don't know if they're good or bad, but if they're average or above i'll be happy. I'm leaving on Dec 23rd and coming back on Jan 8th and it's 114,000 yen all in. Not bad considering i'm booking so late. That was with No1 Travel.

I flew with Jetstar last year around a similar time and won't be doing it again! Not unless i get the really cheap tickets-then it's worthwhile putting up with the minimal-service travel. I flew from Narita - Sydney and on the way to Sydney i had to change at brisbane and get a domestic flight to Sydney. THis was a PAIN IN THE ___ coz i had to get my bags, walk to the domestic terminal and check in again. THe flight landed late too, so i was ____ting myself about making the Sydney flight on time...

Also no food and drink, blankets or TVs make for a pretty boring flight unless you've got some good books in your carry-on. And the plane was full of about 30 vodka-swilling Russians who were bullying everyone else into changing their seats so they could all sit together. Then we weren't allowed to get off the plane when we finally landed back in Tokyo, coz one Russian got pissed, groped a stewardess and refused to hand over the vodka that he'd smuggled onto the flight, so we were detained while the police came on board and took the lout away! Not Jetstar's fault maybe but that's the kind of thing you experience occasionally when going for the cheap tickets...
                    China airlines is not bad at all actually............took it earlier this year

food was not half bad either

Comment

I really do recommend Korean Air.

They are trying very hard to become a World Class airline in terms of service and it is cheaper than most other Asian airlines.

I usually fly Cathay Pacific but they are now too expensive and up themselves for being voted Airline of the Year yet again.

Comment

I've flown back and forth to Japan on Jetstar a few times, sometimes with super cheap tickets (one time was about $200 AUD one way), other times just average prices. All my flights have been fine - no problems either end.

However, my parents have just arrived from Australia, and had their flight delayed 4 hours due to "mechanical issues", which they weren't so pleased with. However - a good tip if you're flying as a pair - I booked my mum a "star class" ticket (kinda business class) as she has back problems, and dear old dad just got economy... 3 days before the flight Jetstar rang him and offered to upgrade him to star class for an extra $200. So his (star class) ticket ended up costing about $700 (whereas my mums one, which was booked a couple of months ago at the standard price, was about $1200). They were very happy with star class, staff were very attentive etc, although my mum had trouble with the seats - the "upright position" was on a decent angle, which made it difficult to get out of (with a bad back).

Comment

Cheap flights to Aus

Originally posted by talibanana View Post
                          China airlines is not bad at all actually............took it earlier this year

food was not half bad either
                          I liked China Airlines, too. But their website shows all flights from Narita to Brisbane and Sydney in mid-October are fully booked. How did you fly and is there a secret to getting a reservation?

TX

Comment

Hello

Jetstar is fine, you guys must of been pretty unlucky for that to of happened. I've flown Jetstar Gold Coast-> Osaka on several occasions in the last few years. 5/6 of my flights left on time and had no delays even landed a bit early. One was a an hour delayed.

With Jetstar you pay for what you get, as people are saying you get extremely cheap tickets. If your in economy class dont expect anything spectacular, and expect to pay extra for anything you want. (but this is exactly what budget travel offers).

If you can get a special Jetstar deal (sign up to Jetstar mail) they sent deals out every Friday. You can sometimes get a return star class fare for 1000 aud. Star class is a whole another world compared to the service you get in economy. Albeit the hostesses are quite friendly overall in both cabins. But Star Class has much better service.

Jetstar is by no means a 'dodgy' airline, they are a subsidiary of Qantas of which was created to take back some of the domestic market from Virgin Blue when it came in.

Again I fly the Osaka to Brisbane route several times a year and I can firmly say that in terms of every day pricing and specials Jetstar is usually the cheapest. Don't get me wrong there are other airlines who someitmes can make a cheaper ticket. But usually Jetstar time and time again comes out on top for being cheap and reliable for me.

Another airline that can produce cheap tickets is Air Niugini (national airline of Papua New Guinea) you need to stop in Port Moresby but sometimes this ticket is available for 600 AUD return. Jetstar tickets however can be available from 400 return. (But this is usually only for the 2 for 1 promotions that they send out).

As another person said Jetstar usually offers to upgrade people to starclass for $199 one way. This doesn't always happen but it has happend on 3 / 6 of my flights. So its 50/50 more or less.

Another way is through Singapore Airlines but this is by no means cheap, but hte service you receive is amazing.

I ditto another persons comment about JAL's service being shocking. This is one of the reasons why JAL is in alot of trouble financially at the moment. If they don't pick up there game they'll lose even more market share when ANA brings in the low cost airline supposedly end of next year.

Anyway hope I could help.

Comment

@ speedboat,

JAL is shocking. They are improving a bit nowadays. Recent flights i've been on, they apologise for having bad customer service and thank you for continuing to fly with them even in rough times. (not sure if this was in english but they said it in Japanese)

ANA in terms of service is a huge leap ahead of JAL. I've only flown them domestically Okinawa - Osaka, Hokkaido - Osaka etc but they are quite good overall.

Comment

Working...
                              X