Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Cheap flights to Aus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qwertyuiop
    started a topic Cheap flights to Aus

Cheap flights to Aus

I'm going back to Australia for xmas and was wondering if anyone knows any cheap companies to go through to get tickets. Thanks for any help.

• John Grey
    replied
    Not quite true....

Originally posted by Emma231 View Post
    jetradar.com is the only place I go to search flights now, after consistently finding them to find the best deals. They don't 'promote' any particular airline, but are totally transparent, plus they include the extra fees and taxes that you know you have to pay but many other 'comparison' sites leave off. This is helpful, as you can make a fair assessment of which is the best price.
    I checked Lufthansa to Europe, and their website is cheaper....
    I remember a few times, that the airlines itself offer better rates to many places.....

Strangely enough this only happens in Japan, but then many thinsg here are normal.
    Flying LH Tokyo, Zurich, Tokyo costs about 40% more than flying LH Zurich, Tokyo, Zurich on the same, identical flights.....

Leave a comment:

• HarderFasterBaby
    replied
    Originally posted by 6koala8 View Post
    I've looked into Jetstar myself and considered it but, after hearing similar horror stories like yours, have decided 'no'.

It is just too risky.

Flown with the heaps and never had any dramas. But I'm not connecting either. I find most of their flight attendants to be pretty friendly and have decent service for a budget carrier. Plus you can get great upgrade deals a lot of the time.

OF course I'd prefer to fly Singapore or Thai, but the flight becomes twice the time. Doesn't seem worth it for me.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Don't use Jetstar - they suck.

Leave a comment:

• Emma231
    replied
    jetradar.com is the only place I go to search flights now, after consistently finding them to find the best deals. They don't 'promote' any particular airline, but are totally transparent, plus they include the extra fees and taxes that you know you have to pay but many other 'comparison' sites leave off. This is helpful, as you can make a fair assessment of which is the best price.

Leave a comment:

• twelvedown
    replied
    Originally posted by lusylaw
    You can simply find the cheap flights by
    dearflight.co.uk
    robinflights.co.uk
    holidaystoorlando.co.uk
    travelup.co.uk
    Or you can skip all that and just go to kayak.com.
    Damn!
    I got a return ticket to Austarlia for golden week for about 70,000 yen.
    It's Southern China Airlines so who knows but jeez. cheap like me.

Leave a comment:

• shigusan
    replied
    Originally posted by innocent12 View Post
    Flew Jetstar in Mid-October from Narita->Cairns->Sydney->Melbourne->Gold Coast->Narita. No problems at all. Planes were all new and had leather-like seats! Will definitely use them again.
    Ya they are all pretty new, but they paint them grey which makes them look old haha. They are starting to paint some albino though :P

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Cheap flights to Aus

Flew Jetstar in Mid-October from Narita->Cairns->Sydney->Melbourne->Gold Coast->Narita. No problems at all. Planes were all new and had leather-like seats! Will definitely use them again.

Leave a comment:

• shigusan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pocky-man View Post
    we're going to Brisbane but have since discovered that there's no direct flights now apart from the GC.
    two adults and two kids.
    Jetstar stopped them late 2008 I believe, cheaper to land and take off from Coolangatta. But Only about 45 mins away from Brisbane on M1 so not a huge issue, there's also a train that will take you direct to Brisbane city. Otherwise just route through Cairns and you can get to Brisbane.

Otherwise take Qantas etc. But not exactly budget any more :P

Leave a comment:

• Pocky-man
    replied
    we're going to Brisbane but have since discovered that there's no direct flights now apart from the GC.
    two adults and two kids.

Leave a comment:

• 不良外人
    replied
    Originally posted by speedboat View Post
    As for JAL...never met a more stuck up, rude, slack group of flight attendants on any flight I`ve been on. JAL, never again.
    Would like to try Japans National Airline, ANA, but they don`t fly to Australia.
    Got to agree with that. Over the last few years, JAL was the only option to Brisbane. I traveled the route 4 or 5 times a year and on many occasions had rude cabin staff, ruder fellow Japanese passengers.

Now that JAL has suspended services to Brisbane (until it gets a new aircraft for the route), I have been using Jetstar (Star Class) through Cairns to BNE. Cabin service was excellent but connection times at Cairns are woeful. Trying the Gold Coast flight in December. Will see how that goes. A really good option to BNE is Air Niugini. Cabin service is great and the aircraft are well maintained. Other options leave me cold but wouldn't mind flying via Nadi or Vila with a stopover. Although I heard passengers to Nadi can get quite wet courtesy of the cabin crew.

Leave a comment:

• GYARU
    replied
    I've generally had good experiences with JAL. I've gone back home a few times both business class, economy and premium economy and it was great. would really suggest the extra $ for premium economy... Just never do the code share flights through Qantas on a JAL flight and expect any service. I guess the issues were due to Qantas and their lack of organisation.

Have never flown with Jetstar. Seems a little like a human cargo scenario, but if you're up for a few hours of discomfort for minimal $, it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• shigusan
    replied
    @ speedboat,

JAL is shocking. They are improving a bit nowadays. Recent flights i've been on, they apologise for having bad customer service and thank you for continuing to fly with them even in rough times. (not sure if this was in english but they said it in Japanese)

ANA in terms of service is a huge leap ahead of JAL. I've only flown them domestically Okinawa - Osaka, Hokkaido - Osaka etc but they are quite good overall.

Leave a comment:

• shigusan
    replied
    Hello

Jetstar is fine, you guys must of been pretty unlucky for that to of happened. I've flown Jetstar Gold Coast-> Osaka on several occasions in the last few years. 5/6 of my flights left on time and had no delays even landed a bit early. One was a an hour delayed.

With Jetstar you pay for what you get, as people are saying you get extremely cheap tickets. If your in economy class dont expect anything spectacular, and expect to pay extra for anything you want. (but this is exactly what budget travel offers).

If you can get a special Jetstar deal (sign up to Jetstar mail) they sent deals out every Friday. You can sometimes get a return star class fare for 1000 aud. Star class is a whole another world compared to the service you get in economy. Albeit the hostesses are quite friendly overall in both cabins. But Star Class has much better service.

Jetstar is by no means a 'dodgy' airline, they are a subsidiary of Qantas of which was created to take back some of the domestic market from Virgin Blue when it came in.

Again I fly the Osaka to Brisbane route several times a year and I can firmly say that in terms of every day pricing and specials Jetstar is usually the cheapest. Don't get me wrong there are other airlines who someitmes can make a cheaper ticket. But usually Jetstar time and time again comes out on top for being cheap and reliable for me.

Another airline that can produce cheap tickets is Air Niugini (national airline of Papua New Guinea) you need to stop in Port Moresby but sometimes this ticket is available for 600 AUD return. Jetstar tickets however can be available from 400 return. (But this is usually only for the 2 for 1 promotions that they send out).

As another person said Jetstar usually offers to upgrade people to starclass for $199 one way. This doesn't always happen but it has happend on 3 / 6 of my flights. So its 50/50 more or less.

Another way is through Singapore Airlines but this is by no means cheap, but hte service you receive is amazing.

I ditto another persons comment about JAL's service being shocking. This is one of the reasons why JAL is in alot of trouble financially at the moment. If they don't pick up there game they'll lose even more market share when ANA brings in the low cost airline supposedly end of next year.

Anyway hope I could help.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Cheap flights to Aus

Originally posted by talibanana View Post
    China airlines is not bad at all actually............took it earlier this year

food was not half bad either
    I liked China Airlines, too. But their website shows all flights from Narita to Brisbane and Sydney in mid-October are fully booked. How did you fly and is there a secret to getting a reservation?

TX

Leave a comment:

Working...
X