Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Top

Collapse

Importing a car TO Japan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Importing a car TO Japan

    Anyone know where I can find a good start-to-finish guide on how to import a car to Japan? I've been searching but I can't find anything comprehensive.

    I really want a mk.2 Golf GTi but there only seem to be left hand drive models for sale on the second hand market here. For a while now, I've been thinking about buying one in the UK and shipping it over here. I want to know how much I'd need to set aside for registration, taxes, inspection and any conversion work necessary to make it road-worthy in Japan.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

  • #2
    Not such a common activity...

    1) All the knowledge in the world does NOT reside on the world wide wait

    2) Try Mick Lay Autos - auto dealer - MAY be able to help
    http://www.micklay.com/auto-leasing.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by trip_hop View Post
      Not such a common activity...

      1) All the knowledge in the world does NOT reside on the world wide wait

      2) Try Mick Lay Autos - auto dealer - MAY be able to help
      http://www.micklay.com/auto-leasing.html
      Thanks for the link. I shall send him an e-mail and see if he has any useful advice.

      Comment


      • #4
        Set aside atleast 3-5k USD, the emission test alone is around 2000. It has to get Inspected and pass the Jspec test. You might have to do some modification to your car. Bring it stock should be the best option. the rest of the $ will go into JCI,road tax and insurance and any other cost for you to get it registered.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NonStopReaper View Post
          Set aside atleast 3-5k USD, the emission test alone is around 2000. It has to get Inspected and pass the Jspec test. You might have to do some modification to your car. Bring it stock should be the best option. the rest of the $ will go into JCI,road tax and insurance and any other cost for you to get it registered.

          Thanks for the info. It would be a whole lot easier to just buy a LHD version here I guess. What's it like driving a left-hooker on Japanese roads?

          Comment


          • #6
            i'm use to it, just that sometimes you have to reach over to get like tickets and food from the drive-thur but japan toll rolls have ticket dispensers for LHD, its normal i guess for me... then again i been here for 4 years so yeah

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Bye-Bye kin View Post
              Anyone know where I can find a good start-to-finish guide on how to import a car to Japan? I've been searching but I can't find anything comprehensive.

              I really want a mk.2 Golf GTi but there only seem to be left hand drive models for sale on the second hand market here. For a while now, I've been thinking about buying one in the UK and shipping it over here. I want to know how much I'd need to set aside for registration, taxes, inspection and any conversion work necessary to make it road-worthy in Japan.

              Any advice would be much appreciated.
              Late post sorry...was searching for how to Import my MK2 GTI from Aus to here................

              You may already have one, but I know of a few mk2 GTI RHD vehicles for sale in Tokyo.
              2 door or 4 door. I have a UK import back in Australia that I want to ship over here but it is going to be a huge task.

              http://www.spinninggarage.com/
              mostly LHD but many RHD, and they can help you find one to Import if you like.

              Comment


              • #8
                importing is easy. registering it is more challenging.

                Comment


                • #9
                  PPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZ Check This Site For Your Wish to import Golf Gti

                  Originally posted by Bye-Bye kin View Post
                  Anyone know where I can find a good start-to-finish guide on how to import a car to Japan? I've been searching but I can't find anything comprehensive.

                  I really want a mk.2 Golf GTi but there only seem to be left hand drive models for sale on the second hand market here. For a while now, I've been thinking about buying one in the UK and shipping it over here. I want to know how much I'd need to set aside for registration, taxes, inspection and any conversion work necessary to make it road-worthy in Japan.

                  Any advice would be much appreciated.
                  Dear Sir Plz Check Our Site

                  http://www.japanesecartrade.com/

                  This Site is Ausum. You can Find Your Desire Vehicles here at this site. There are all kinds of vehicles availbale for sale with trusted exporters from Japan.

                  Plz Check And Select Your Vehicles.

                  Regards
                  P K Bansal

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X