Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How to renew a commuter pass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to renew a commuter pass?

Last month I bought a one-month SUICA commuter pass from my home to university to see how it works. Now that I've discovered that a commuter pass is super useful, I wanna get a 3-month one so I don't have to renew every month. Besides, it's going to expire the day after tomorrow. So I have 3 questions:

1. Is it possible to renew the commuter pass through a machine or do I have to go to the guy at the counter. If so, do I need to go to the same station where asked for it to be issued in the first place?

2. How much does it usually cost for a 3 month one?

3. How do I say in Japanese: "I want to renew my student commuter pass and make it into a 3-month one" All I know is that student commuter pass is 学生定期券.

Thanks

are you talking about the one you put through the slot in the ticket gate or the one that reads the magnetic data and you just 'zap' it on top?

I dont use SUICA but we use ICOCA in Kansai.

ICOCA cards you can buy more rides in denominations of 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000 or 10,000 yen. There are machines usually you can recharge your card or in side the ticket machines.

If you have a "teiki" which includes the departure and arrival station, a set date of expiry then you will need to go to the counter and apply for a new teiki.

As long as you tell the station guy the two stations you are travelling between they can sell you a commutation pass anywhere.

As for Japanese, 定期券 (ていきけん)を更新 (こうしいん)したい のですが、3ヶ月分(さんかげつぶん)を購入(こうに ゅう)したいのです
    Last edited by KansaiBen; 2011-10-20, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iona View Post
      1. Is it possible to renew the commuter pass through a machine
      Yes.

or do I have to go to the guy at the counter.
      Optional. Easier if you don't read Japanese, the monthly pass system sometimes isn't available in English.

If so, do I need to go to the same station where asked for it to be issued in the first place?
      No. Just be clear about the start and end points.

2. How much does it usually cost for a 3 month one?
      Somewhat less than one month x 3.
      There is also a 6-month pass - expensive purchase but a big discount overall.

3. How do I say in Japanese: "I want to renew my student commuter pass and make it into a 3-month one"
      Hand old pass to person behind counter. Hold up 3 fingers, say "さん か げつ". Also give them approximately triple the monthly pass value in cash. My experience has been that you don't want to say too much in these situations.
      Last edited by rtfm; 2011-10-20, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X