Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

JR East Shinkansen fare questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR East Shinkansen fare questions

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to register and ask a couple of questions. I've heard a dirty rumor from some friends of mine that you can buy (while living in Japan) a Shinkansen ticket with a variable return date upto 5 days from the departure date. Has anyone else heard about this before? I tried to get more details from the person but they were limited.

The other question I have is, What is the best way to get a rate from Sakata(yamagata) to Niigata to Tokyo on the Shinkansen? I need to go down in November for a 4 day (3night) trip, and I would like to save as much money as possible on this trip. I've already started looking for hostels to stay in, but I would like to reduce the round trip price as it's right now at about 2.7man. I've heard dirty rumors that if I go to a travel agent they can work better deals for transit that includes a hotel stay, but I'm afraid my Japanese might not be upto the challenge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gizmo.

Originally posted by gizmotech View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while but finally decided to register and ask a couple of questions. I've heard a dirty rumor from some friends of mine that you can buy (while living in Japan) a Shinkansen ticket with a variable return date upto 5 days from the departure date. Has anyone else heard about this before? I tried to get more details from the person but they were limited.
    the only kinds of Shinkansen tickets you can get are reserved seats or free-seat ticket which means you can get on the train anytime but pay for the ride. A reserved seat is meant for a particular seat at a particular time. You can buy tickets at the ticket machine before you get on or buy at the green counter.

Comment

Originally posted by gizmotech View Post
      Hi guys,

The other question I have is, What is the best way to get a rate from Sakata(yamagata) to Niigata to Tokyo on the Shinkansen? I need to go down in November for a 4 day (3night) trip, and I would like to save as much money as possible on this trip. I've already started looking for hostels to stay in, but I would like to reduce the round trip price as it's right now at about 2.7man. I've heard dirty rumors that if I go to a travel agent they can work better deals for transit that includes a hotel stay, but I'm afraid my Japanese might not be upto the challenge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gizmo.

I do not know what a dirty rumor is, nor can I understand your English. I am guessing your are asking about Shinkansen tickets that do not have fixed dates and times for travel. These tickets are available for non-reserved car travel. The seating is first come/first served. I usually buy these tickets as a discount ticket seller. If the destination is not a common one, you may have trouble getting a hold of one from the origin point of the trip. Travel to Tokyo from anywhere should not be hard to arrange. With such a ticket, you can enter the system on the day you wish, and hop on the train you wish... in the non-reserved seat cars. There are some black out days of travel-- usually the peak holiday times of the year. The tickets you buy may have an expiration date, so you DO need to be careful about that as well.

Yes, travel agents can may be able to get a package deal on train travel and hotel stays. You do have to investigate special programs and discounts.

The fare for train travel does not vary greatly. A discount ticket shop can save you about ten percent off the full fare.

Comment

Working...
      X