Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Ski rack on old Daihatsu Hijet mini van - possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shonanfred View Post
    I am in the rack business
    Fred
    Is it legal to pimp if you have PR??????????

But yeah, encouraging a guy who can't figure out the model year of his own vehicle to drill holes in his roof doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I'm sure you could do it, RU, but you seem intelligent and capable.

Roquet has always been at least a yard sale, if not an outright disaster zone.

Read some of his older threads.............they're almost horrifying, but always good for a laugh.

Sort of like this one.

How long can it possibly take to figure out which roof rack fits, and where it is cheapest????

Also, I agree about the usefulness of roof racks. I would never buy a car without one.
    Last edited by kurogane; 2011-11-12, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ruserious View Post
      You are in the rack business?

What are the other potential problems?
      In addition to the fact that "One size fits all" racks are usually ____e?
      Sheet metal is flimsy in all locations that it isn't...for one.
      Resale of the car goes to almost 0...for two.
      Fred

Comment

I don't think I'll be drilling holes in the roof. For starters I don't have a drill. I imagine another potential problem would be weakening of the chassis resulting in implosion of the vehicle during sudden breaking.

I will be visiting Hard Off very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by shonanfred View Post
          The build date should be on a tiny silver plate inside the driver's side door on the B pillar.....
          Fred
          Had a look, no sign of a silver plate on the inside of the driver's door. What does the B pillar look like?

Went to Hard Off today, lots of cheap Thule legs but sealed up in their original 1980s boxes. Explained to a guy that my kei van has a rain gutter on the back but NOT the front. I couldn't understand very well what he was rabbiting on about but I think he said people generally don't sell non-rain gutter type fixings to recycle shops, try Yellow Hat. In Yellow Hat a guy showed me an extension fixing which allows you to attach it without a rain gutter. But when he asked what make my van is I forgot and said Hyundai, which he couldn't find in his roof rack vehicle models book. So I'm going to go back to Yellow Hat, get them to show me what I need for a Daihatsu and then see if I can find that type in Hard Off.

I really do wonder why Daihatsu designed a kei van with rain gutters only at the back, and if it was because they were on drugs or something.

Comment

I'm wondering how you mixed up Hyundai with Daihatsu.

Comment

Why don't you just take your van to Yellow Hat? Let the experts look at it directly.

They generally have a parking area, and a workshop for oil and tyre changes, and the like...

Comment

Originally posted by roquet View Post
                I really do wonder why Daihatsu designed a kei van with rain gutters only at the back, and if it was because they were on drugs or something.
                They are cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by roquet View Post
                  Had a look, no sign of a silver plate on the inside of the driver's door. What does the B pillar look like?

Sliding door on both sides?
                  B pillar separates the front door from the rear door.
                  Fred
                  Last edited by shonanfred; 2011-11-14, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X