Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

advice on christmas flight to US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on christmas flight to US

I am seeking advice from any wise one who would be willing to impart their knowledge or experience about purchasing the cheapest flight tickets possible.

If you could give any advice such as the best time to purchase, or websites to use, airlines to use, alternative airports, etc.
    Probably the most helpful would be advice on the best time to purchase.
    I can speak and read Japanese so English or Japanese websites are ok.

I live in Tokyo, and am going to the US to visit family, and I have a friend coming with me.

My criteria for my trip:
    Leave sometime between 12/17~12/24
    Return and LAND in Tokyo on or before 1/9.
    Cost: less than 100,000yen or $1,300

As I will have someone picking me up I could possibly land at an airport somewhat close to Raleigh (RDU). For example: Washington DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Baltimore.
    Something as far away as New York, it would have to be substantially/considerably cheaper than all the rest.

My current planned itinerary:
    Departure: 12/20 from TYO (Narita or Haneda) to RDU (Raleigh-Durham, NC)
    Return: 1/5 from RDU to TYO
    Costs currently seem to be around $1600

I would like to shave a few hundred of that $1600 price. I know tuesdays and thursdays are the best days to fly, but how about the best days to actually purchase the ticket. I know the prices can fluctuate all the way up to the day or even hours before the flight.

Thank you.

....would you like someone here to call Number 1 Travel for you and ask on your behalf???? do you have a problem using voice telecommunication devices??

Comment

Never flown to the US from here..
      but willing to bet you will find your best price from a Japan based (probably Japanese language source)

I know at least one airline that charges less for the same flights to those people booking in Japan to those booking from elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
        ....would you like someone here to call Number 1 Travel for you and ask on your behalf???? do you have a problem using voice telecommunication devices??
        Yes, please call for me. Also make me a sandwich while your at it.

I was just asking here if anyone had any advice from their experiences not for them to search for me, or about maybe websites to use or some travel company that they recommend from their own personal experience.

But since you mentioned yeah, go ahead, always nice to have something offer you extra help when you didn't ask.

Originally posted by hennagaijin View Post
        Never flown to the US from here..
        but willing to bet you will find your best price from a Japan based (probably Japanese language source)

I know at least one airline that charges less for the same flights to those people booking in Japan to those booking from elsewhere.

That's what it seems like. I checked トラベルコ, and I found some like 70000yen for the total price. But it was missing some details like the airline company and such, and so it seemed like a maybe-too-good-to-be-true deal.

Anyone used one of those options on toraberuko?

Comment

Originally posted by theresidentcheese View Post
          Yes, please call for me. Also make me a sandwich while your at it.

I was just asking here if anyone had any advice from their experiences not for them to search for me, or about maybe websites to use or some travel company that they recommend from their own personal experience.

But since you mentioned yeah, go ahead, always nice to have something offer you extra help when you didn't ask.

That's what it seems like. I checked トラベルコ, and I found some like 70000yen for the total price. But it was missing some details like the airline company and such, and so it seemed like a maybe-too-good-to-be-true deal.

Anyone used one of those options on toraberuko?
          Buddha helps those who help themselves. Expedia.com agrees with you. Pay any less, and you will most likely lose ability to make changes or adjustments. Everybody and their brother are traveling the same time you are.

Comment

Unfortunately, 'when' you buy tickets doesn't seem to make a big difference in this country. I know in the US, Tuesdays are best, but the prices really don't seem to change much here from one day to the next. They do seem to start to get more expensive the closer you get to flight date however.

Comment

United Japan's website has the flight at 141K yen which is more than you want to pay, but you get that extra-special service and gourmet meals that only United can provide.
              Last edited by Plats; 2011-11-06, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Just call Number One Travel. That's what I've always used.

http://www.no1-travel.com/

Comment

Working...
                X