Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

How early do you arrive before your flight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How early do you arrive before your flight?

I am going to Narita on Christmas eve. I have a flight around 11am and the earliest i can possibly hope to get to the airport is 9am, and that is if things go to plan. If something goes wrong i might only have an hour before my flight.

How long did it take you in the past to get through Narita airport? Also, should i be expecting it to be busier or quieter on Christmas eve? To add to this I have read that Saturday is normally the least busy day for flights. How much time to you give before an international flight? One more question: What is the least amount of time i can have in a worst case scenario to realistically get onto my flight?

Originally posted by ChucklingJawa View Post
    IOne more question: What is the least amount of time i can have in a worst case scenario to realistically get onto my flight?
    Worst case scenario: from checking in your bags, going through security and getting on the plane before the doors close, at least an hour is recommended. Airlines like you to check in two hours before departure.

Comment

A room at the Hotel Nikko Narita will cost you 5000 yen for the evening of the 23rd - if you book it now. Free shuttle to the terminals. Stress-free travel.

--

Comment

Two hours ahead of time is enough to make your flight. I did it in 35 minutes once, but they had staff running me to the gate to get on in time.

Comment

Great. So i am looking at 1 hour as a minimum with a little less if lady luck is on my side. I hope to get there about 2 hours before though, but should the bus to Tokyo break down or get stuck in traffic then it gives me about an extra hour just in case. Good to know.

Maybe i should just go down the night before, just in case. I had something planned on the 23rd but i just might have to cancel it to play it save. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by ChucklingJawa View Post
            Great. So i am looking at 1 hour as a minimum with a little less if lady luck is on my side. I hope to get there about 2 hours before though, but should the bus to Tokyo break down or get stuck in traffic then it gives me about an extra hour just in case. Good to know.

Maybe i should just go down the night before, just in case. I had something planned on the 23rd but i just might have to cancel it to play it save. Thanks guys.
            Why don't you just take the train to Narita? Problem solved.

Comment

2 hours is cutting it close.
              Go the night before.
              Fred
              PS EA, that was a few years ago, no?

Comment

Never had a problem with arriving at the airport 2 hours before the flight when departing from Narita, even when I've been travelling with small children.

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post
                  Never had a problem with arriving at the airport 2 hours before the flight when departing from Narita, even when I've been travelling with small children.
                  same here.. at least 15 trips to USA from Narita in the past 3.5 years and never had a problem arriving 2 hours early. Been ok even when its only been 1.5 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by jron View Post
                    same here.. at least 15 trips to USA from Narita in the past 3.5 years and never had a problem arriving 2 hours early. Been ok even when its only been 1.5 hours.
                    Yes, but with this many trips you are using the biz class line, no?
                    Fred

Comment

Originally posted by cucashopboy View Post

Sure, but usually flights to Thailand aren't as crowded...................

Yes.............I know.

Comment

I like to get to the airport early--more pre-boarding drinking time.

Comment

Originally posted by Hijinx View Post
                          I like to get to the airport early--more pre-boarding drinking time.
                          Me too.
                          Airport drinking is expensive though...The only thing that makes it feel better is that you've just spent a fortune on a flight so by comparison it's quite reasonable.

Comment

I have a feeling Hijinx carries more in his carry-on than his computer and Raspberry Sprinkle Pocky for the Missus.

That's why it clinks and rattles.

Comment

Originally posted by twelvedown View Post
                              Me too.
                              Airport drinking is expensive though...The only thing that makes it feel better is that you've just spent a fortune on a flight so by comparison it's quite reasonable.
                              Nah, there are conbinis to buy the beer at. I like to drink on that outside observation deck at Narita.

Comment

Working...
                              X