Announcement

Collapse

The GaijinPot Forum Is Closed

Please join us on our new Facebook Group.
See more
See less

Collapse

Seasonal tyre (tire) storage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasonal tyre (tire) storage

Howdy!
    After much deliberating I finally changed over to winter tyres for my first car in Japan (a decision I'm beginning to regret)...but anyway I'm now stuck with 4 rather dirty 'normal' tyres and I have no idea what to do with them.
    I can just about suffer the space to store them in my apartment, but I don't know HOW to store them. i.e. Am I supposed to clean them? Store them in bags? Release the air from them? Etc etc

Thanks in advance - any help would be great!

Clean them/brush them off.
    Stick them in garbage bags individually.
    store them one atop each other (lying on their sides) inflated as they are..
    no problems

Comment

Thanks hennagaijin,

They're now safely stored away in garbage bags in my room!

Comment

Originally posted by yojax View Post
        Thanks hennagaijin,......
        Now there is something one never reads!

They're now safely stored away in garbage bags in my room!
        A material scientist would tell you to use materials of different sources to store the tires. My student had to pay a rather sizeable sum to have to imprint, "YOKOHAMA" removed from the petroleum-based tile floor of his closet, after keeping his tires in storage for a while. You may have already made a mistake by using plastic bags....

Comment

Originally posted by well_bicyclically View Post
          My student had to pay a rather sizeable sum to have to imprint, "YOKOHAMA" removed from the petroleum-based tile floor of his closet, after keeping his tires in storage for a while. You may have already made a mistake by using plastic bags....
          But if you were YokohamaTommy you wouldnt have to pay huge sums getting it removed.. :P

Comment

Howdy!
            After much deliberating I finally changed over to winter tyres for my first car in Japan (a decision I'm beginning to regret)...but anyway I'm now stuck with 4 rather dirty 'normal' tyres and I have no idea what to do with them.
            I can just about suffer the space to store them in my apartment, but I don't know HOW to store them. i.e. Am I supposed to clean them? Store them in bags? Release the air from them? Etc etc

Thanks in advance - any help would be great!
            When you left home, were you this stupid???

It's part of an ongoing research study.

Comment

Originally posted by kurogane View Post
              When you left home, were you this stupid???

It's part of an ongoing research study.
              I don't get what you mean...I've never owned a car before, and back home no one ever uses winter tyres so I wouldn't call it stupid just slightly ignorant.

@ well_bicyclically
              So you think garbage bags are a bad idea? Have you got any other suggestions? It's only going to be until end of Feb/March I suppose.

Comment

Seasonal tyre (tire) storage

We usually change our tyres over in December in store them in a dry place. You can store them in your apartment if you have space or outside. It is a good idea to place them in large plastic bags to protect them and stack them on top of each other to save space. There is no need to deflate them and just check the tyre pressure again when you change them back.

Comment

I don't get what you mean...I've never owned a car before, and back home no one ever uses winter tyres so I wouldn't call it stupid just slightly ignorant.
                  Using forums to gather or share information is probably the most worthwhile use for them (if not the ONLY worthwhile use for them).

It is a perfectly reasonable and logical thing to do.

To get the most out of Agropot, focus on the worthwhile information and ignore the pointless rudeness and insults.
                  Responding to them is just a waste of time that could be better spent elsewhere.
                  Last edited by hennagaijin; 2011-12-20, 08:57 AM.

Comment

I can attest to oil seeping into the floor from the tires. It left an indelible (using my cleaning attempts) mark which was a good excuse for the landlord not to give us back the damage deposit. Be careful, and put something under, preferably plastic and then cardboard over it and then put your tires on top. Where do you live? In Kanto buying winter tires is a waste of money, hell I didn't even need them in Gunma when I lived there for a couple of years. It's too late now but you should have gotten some aggressive threaded all seasons and off you go especially if you drive a front wheel drive car, which no self respecting guy should ever do. :-)

Comment

I live in Kansai. Everyone here seems to have a different opinion on whether I needed them or not, but the majority seem to think it's a must-have. I've already done it now, so I figure for this season I'll do it and if I don't think it was really necessary I'll just not bother doing it again.

Thanks for all the advice! If I have any problems when I pull them out of storage come Spring I'll post back up to pre-warn any others following in my footsteps.

Comment

I live in Kansai.
                        What part? Coastal areas won't get any snow that lasts. The higher elevations are a different story. People in this country have a belief level rivaling an Electric Monk no matter what reality throws at them. Case in point - I live in Tokyo. After a snowstorm a few years ago I am riding the mountain bike down the street with no problems at all. Cars around me are using chains on the wheels! Chains do very little in warm, wet slush other than make noise.

Comment

In November in Tokyo, I went to a super autobacs to have my flat tire repaired. I was advised of the 5 hour wait because there were so many customers who were swapping their all season tires with the snow tires. Of course, I left that place in a instant and got that repair done at my neighborhood Yellow hat within an hour.

I just do not understand why Tokyo residents need to have snow tires on their cars unless they are traveling to Hokkaido or Niigata (I see the sucker neon sign right on their foreheads) in Tokyo (excluding those western parts of the countryside area). I mean, it only snows a day or two at most and the snow fall is miniscule. I used to drive with my all season tires without any issues whatsoever in Western New York in the dead of the winter (and right in the smack of the massive lake effect snow storms for so many times I lost counting).

This is another of my rant on the sissiness of J-drivers who are mostly licensed to drive on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru View Post
                            In November in Tokyo, I went to a super autobacs to have my flat tire repaired. I was advised of the 5 hour wait because there were so many customers who were swapping their all season tires with the snow tires.
                            All season -> snow? Why? M*a*y*b*e if you regularly drive to heavy snowfall areas, But if you need snow tires that badly then you also need a serious 4-wheel-drive (a real one).

I drove in central Canada for 15 years - never swapped the tires (or got stuck for long).

Comment

Originally posted by rtfm View Post
                              All season -> snow? Why? M*a*y*b*e if you regularly drive to heavy snowfall areas, But if you need snow tires that badly then you also need a serious 4-wheel-drive (a real one).

I drove in central Canada for 15 years - never swapped the tires (or got stuck for long).
                              But, if a J-TYO driver is going to drive a real 4-wheel drive vehicle, he (or god forbit, a J-house wife, imangine, a j-chick with a heavy 4 wheel-drive vehicle at the helm, which gives me shivers down my spine) will mow down other tin-can cars right and left, as I have no confidence whatsoever with most of J-drivers. Incompetent drivers with very limited driving skills and reflexes will render any high performance or capable cars to just basest K-cars.

Too much controlled-environment test-heavy accreditation process without real life experiences and driving savviness, that's Japan.

Comment

Working...
                              X